PDA

View Full Version : Valve Carriers....

Anonymous
07-08-01, 10:40 PM
Right ive been told that my valve carriers might be fucked, i know the cars running fine at the mo but is damn annoying with it being so loud... so how much would it cost to replace the carriers with nee parts do u reckon?
And can anyone recomend anywhere to get it done near Wrexham, as ive been told it HAS to be done decently or it could fuck the engine

Anonymous
08-08-01, 10:06 AM
do you mean valve guides. If you do then its not vheap. My bro had to replace 8 of his valves and valve guides recently and it weren't cheap. to get to the valves you have to take the head off, this subsequently means incurring lots of other expenses, like new head bolts , new cam belt possibly a head skim, you mite as well change the head gasket while your there........get the picture !

Kill your speed !!!
Not a Squirrel !!!

Anonymous
08-08-01, 10:55 AM
if ur gonna have to get it done (seems unlikeley) then take it to headway in deeside

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
08-08-01, 11:55 AM
I managed to get a fully re-built 1.2 head (to put on my 1.3), which had had new guides, valves, springs, even water core plugs, and he'd got receipts for ?130, so not cheep!

His car had been nicked before he could fit it, so was selling all his bits cheep. I got this head, along with lowering springs and a pair of unused front disk, all for ?30.

A garage would charge a small fortune to do this, but to do the guides, you might have to pay some one to do it....need special tools etc. You could save money by removing the head your self, giving in them to sort, then re-fit it your self. Just a thought.

Anonymous
08-08-01, 05:25 PM
right as some of u know im a dumb bastard when it gets technical.... are the valve guides in the head? if so i can easily get a another head as my m8 can fit them easily? does this sound like a good idea?!? while im at it is there anything i can do to make it faster :) as in a 1.4 head or somet

Anonymous
08-08-01, 07:24 PM
1.2 head is better

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
09-08-01, 07:01 PM
1.2 head? how come? my mates got one with a single choke carb...can it be put on mine and my twin carb swapped over? is there gonna be any difference with a 1.3 and 1.2 head cause ive been offered both

Anonymous
09-08-01, 09:47 PM
The 1.2 head is different to the 1.3 and 1.4 heads. I've got a 1.2 head on my 1.3 (as I said in my post above), and it gives increased compression. Also, it apparently gives better results when bench-flow-tested.

If you look at a 1.2 head next to a 1.3 head, you can see the main difference looking at the valves......the chamber area (circular cut-out sunken in bit!) is smaller on the 1.2 head, hence, you get the higher compression. My 1.2 head was also skimmed when it was rebuilt, so I dread to think what compression it's running....I've never checked.

I've been able to use the 1.3 inlet manifold, and the zorst for the 1.3 on the 1.2 no probs.....bolt straight on. I think it's the same with the 1.4

Anonymous
09-08-01, 10:49 PM
1.4 heads are poo, with different, much smaller inlet ports and will not fit 1.2/1.3 inlet.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)] "Q/ (Squirrel)

Whoopass! :D

The original footer, not a cheap immitation!

Anonymous
11-08-01, 03:33 PM
sorted ill get my mate to put the 1.2 head on then, and ill get it rolling roaded after as well so its set up right :)