PDA

View Full Version : ABS on a nova - Fitting ABS rings

Clean 2.0 nova
04-02-07, 07:27 PM
I am wanting to fit ABS on to a nova, I have no problem with fitting and wiring the ABS module (from a late calibra). Has anyone tried this before as I could do with some suggestions on how to mount the abs rings. Could I use something like corsa front C.V. joints with the ABS rings? - what about the rears?

Please don't ask why - it's another challenge :D

R1CH
04-02-07, 07:31 PM
Should be able to use Corsa CV's, as for the rears you might have to use some later drums off a corsa or summet .... but if you start mixing & matching stuff will that not affect the ABS ?

Rich

Clean 2.0 nova
04-02-07, 07:52 PM
I'm sure corsa's and cally's have the same number of 'teeth' i.e. 29. So there should be no problem in integrating the two. Where is the ABS ring on a rear corsa?

R1CH
04-02-07, 08:04 PM
Where is the ABS ring on a rear corsa?

No idea really, at a guess i'd say inside the drum, then you'll have a couple of wires coming out to connect up to the rest of the ABS.

You say its a challange which is fair enough, buts it seems like a pointless exercise imo !

Rich

mikey14sr
04-02-07, 09:52 PM
As rich says, inside the drum on a corsa, it's a metal plate with a load of slots in that sits over the center of the drum.

Stuart
05-02-07, 08:19 AM
id use a corsa ABS module as the calibra one will have a different calibration (for a heavier mass) so you could potentially still lock up etc with it fitted to a nova.....

matt_mph
05-02-07, 09:19 AM
id use a corsa ABS module as the calibra one will have a different calibration (for a heavier mass) so you could potentially still lock up etc with it fitted to a nova.....

I second that, sure the ABS unit out of a corsa would be a better idea :) :thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
05-02-07, 09:43 AM
I haven't had a lot to do with ABS systems at work as we stopped making them a while ago, but I'm pretty sure they work by sensing the deceleration of each wheel, i.e the change in speed. If the change in speed is at too high a rate the module will sense that lock is about to occur and will reduce pressure momentarily in that line. As said a corsa one would be better as the point at which the rear wheels approach lock would be at a lower decel on a corsa I'd imagine, as the weight on the rear axle is less on a corsa.
I would really advise against the conversion tho, as I had a corsa GSi with ABS and it was absolutely sheeite. ABS has come along way since then and improved a great deal. The system on corsa was crap and used to trigger all the time which was really annoying :mad:

Stuart
05-02-07, 09:58 AM
agreed, vauxhall ABS is some of the worst ive ever seen/experienced.
Most defaults into ICE mode and lets go of the brakes (my vx does in the dry lmao).

B8BSR
05-02-07, 01:21 PM
On my Nova 16v Im running Corsa gsi rear (ABS) drums on the back and on the front Im using 1991 Astra (ABS) outer cv's.

craig green
05-02-07, 03:09 PM
The old Vaux ABS is utter dirt tbh. I commend you for installing it & getting it working, however it makes no sense IMO. The ABS on my GSi Cav was annoying to say the least.

Clean 2.0 nova
07-02-07, 07:00 PM
Quote:
'On my Nova 16v Im running Corsa gsi rear (ABS) drums on the back and on the front Im using 1991 Astra (ABS) outer cv's.'

Do you mean you have installed the full abs gubbings or you just happen to have all the abs rings on your setup.
I am not intending to race the nova around just want an extra safety feature and something else to add to the modded list.

Stanley
07-02-07, 07:06 PM
IIRC Corsa Combo vans (1700 diesel) had ABS also with drums.

Maybe fitting everything off that would be a better option?

Stuart
07-02-07, 09:20 PM
ABS is a safety feature, BUT vauxhall ABS is a safety bypass lol

B8BSR
08-02-07, 12:48 AM
Quote:
'On my Nova 16v Im running Corsa gsi rear (ABS) drums on the back and on the front Im using 1991 Astra (ABS) outer cv's.'

Do you mean you have installed the full abs gubbings or you just happen to have all the abs rings on your setup.
I am not intending to race the nova around just want an extra safety feature and something else to add to the modded list.

The reason ive got them is because i have Racelogic Traction control on my Nova and needed 4 wheel speed sensors and it made it a lot easier having the ABS rings.