PDA

View Full Version : Skimmed Head?

Anonymous
09-08-01, 10:41 AM
My new Nova is in for a head gasket replacement at the moment and the guy who is fixing it is going on about skimming the head. I head that doing this increases power so naturally im interested to know what the optimum skim would be?. The car is under warranty (still!) so I'm going to have to be careful what I tell this guy to do so he doesn't squeal to the insurance co. Then again, he did suggest the head 'needed' skimming - some sh*t about the head 'might' be a bit twisted even tho the car never overheated.

My car is a 1991 1.4SR (Carb) soon to have K&N + full Magnex exhaust (sitting in my garage)

Reply asap plz :)

Anonymous
09-08-01, 11:08 AM
Heads warp slightly when torqued and removed so skimming is normally done to ensure that the mating surface is completely flat and level. U can get away with not doing it if your car hasn`t got too hot and the head has been treated properly. A warped head could be the reason the gasket failed in the first place. Skimming the head will have minimal effect on performance, so I suggest that u just ge the minimum required otherwise when u next need it done u wont be able to take any more off.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Whoopass! :D

The original footer, not a cheap immitation!

Anonymous
09-08-01, 01:06 PM
Thanks,

I did wonder if there was an upper limit on what I could get away with. Thinking of the future, the head might come off again for some more work in a few months time.

Toby

Anonymous
11-08-01, 02:57 PM
you can skim them right down to hte top of the bit where the plugs come through. the more you take of the more often you need to rebuild it.