PDA

View Full Version : brake pipe/mot

greg1.4
03-02-07, 08:26 PM
Help here please. i was grinding away at my inner wing/chassis rail and just touched my brake pipe that comes out the servo/master cylinder (not sure what it is). Will this pass the mot with a tiny nick out of the pipe. Its not leaking or anything but i am worried about it being enough to burst the pipe if i stamp on the brakes quickly for some reason. The last thing i want is no brakes when i need them!
Can i buy complete new brake pipes? I will only need the one pipe that comes out the master cylinder (the one closest to the you (front of the car as you look in the engine bay) as i only touched that one with the grinder. How much are they to buy now if you can even get them now?
Thanks Greg

mikey14sr
03-02-07, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't trust it, find a local motor factors that can make pipes up for you, then take the dodgy one off, take it in to them and you'll walk out with a nice fresh copper one to fit. Bleed the brakes up and thats it.

greg1.4
03-02-07, 10:27 PM
i have a motor factors near me so might get in touch with them. Has anyone ever fitted new pipes? is it a hard job?i have a feeling the bleeders on the wheel clyinders could brake!? Can i buy original brake pipes for a vauxhall nova or will they have to be made specially by a motor factors?

mikey14sr
04-02-07, 10:18 AM
They have to be custom made, even vauxhall will just sell you a length of pipe needind the ends fitting and flaring.
Which pipe is it? The fronts are easy to replace, the rears are just awkward if it's the ones that run the full length of the floor, the little ones on the rear beam are easy. I used to do up to ten pipes a day when I was doing mot repairs on various makes.

You'll need an 11mm spanner for most of the unions, but give them a good spray with wd40 and leave it to soak in for 30mins before you attempt to undo them, they seize in quite badly sometimes, and I hav often ended up replaceing the relevent flexi-pipe at the same time because the union just wouldn't come out. The unions are also quite soft, and will round off easily, a good pair of mole grips can be a godsend if this happens.
wd40 trick applies to the bleed nipples aswell, just take it easy with them, if you snap one it usually means an new caliper/wheel cylinder.

Alternatively your local garage will probably charge around ?40 per pipe inc. labour to fit and bleed it all up.