PDA

View Full Version : Valve guides running dry!

Geth
03-02-07, 04:12 PM
After having a few problems with my engine I have decided to strip and rebuild it. The head has recently gone to a garage to be reconditioned because I suspected I had bent valve stems due to the fact that the valves were hard to pull out of the guides. I had the head back last night and was told that none of the valves were bent and the reson they were stuck was because of lack of lubrication and they had started to pick up. All of the guides and valves were lubricated when fitted a few months back so I'm really confused about how this could happen.

The engine is a 1300SR running an AST2 cam and 4-1 exhaust manifold (and other mods but not worth listing for this post) so it is regularly reved up to 6500-6700rpm.

The bloke who did my head was telling me about old Hillman engines that that had the same probelm when running high reving cams etc. so were often run without valve guide oil seals to ensure enough oil got down the guides, so I was wondering if anyone had heared of this being done on a nova and would I end up burning too much oil if I did this?

Any other thoughts/suggestions on the problem are welcome.

Cheers,
G

Adam
03-02-07, 04:14 PM
No valve stem seals will let a lot of oil out the top end into the cylinders...

Are the valves std size etc?

Geth
03-02-07, 04:16 PM
The head is standard but is from a 1.2

garyc
03-02-07, 08:41 PM
You could open up the oil feed to the head to 2.5 mm from 2.0 mm.

mikey14sr
03-02-07, 08:54 PM
Could be being caused by blocked oil galleries or poor oil pressure, what did the O/P gauge read at 3000rpm?

Stuart
04-02-07, 07:36 AM
Sounds like your guides just need reaming out to the right bore......

Or fit bronze ones ;)