PDA

View Full Version : mk 1 to mk 2 dash plz help

michael squeak
01-02-07, 10:45 PM
Hello everyone

ive give my mk 1 nova a face lift to a mk 2 and im now putting the mk2 dash n clocks in to it and im not sure if it all fits ok. Eg the heater switches slide on a mk1 and twist on a mk2. Do all the electrical connections fit aswell and is there any other problems i mite get all help apreciated thanks.:thumb:

rybo
01-02-07, 11:17 PM
get a mk2 dash and dash loom (and join it in-ie plug for plug where you can or join wires to extend)from scrappy-with heater pipes and cables
if you pay attention as you take it out of the scrapper it should be easy-jus dun a gsi one into mine

london_chris
01-02-07, 11:39 PM
make sure you sort out the hazard light switch on the mk2 dash because if you turn it upside down and connect it you will start your engine!

Jack
02-02-07, 08:45 AM
Heated RW/Blower control needs rewiring, check the Haynes manual to match the wires. Hazard switch too I think. All the rest you can plug the Mk1 plugs into the Mk2 switches. Heater control rods, use the Mk2 items but be careful with the clips on them as they're easy to break.

Bear in mind you'll also need a Mk2 steering column shroud, the Mk1 shroud doesn't fit. Mk1 dials can be fitted if you bend a screw round in the top dial mount to hold them in place. You'll also need the Mk2 under dash ducting for the heater vents - if you have a poverty spec Mk1 you'll need to either put a Mk2 heater matrix in or cut out the side bits for the ducting to the vents at the side of the dash, if you want them to function too.

michael squeak
02-02-07, 10:56 AM
thanks for the help people ill give it ago any more help much apreciated

loggyboy
02-02-07, 11:53 AM
make sure you sort out the hazard light switch on the mk2 dash because if you turn it upside down and connect it you will start your engine!

It wont start the engine, it just turns on the ignition, u'd still need to hotwire or bump start the car and release the steering lock so its not that much of a problem.

mikey14sr
02-02-07, 12:02 PM
It wont start the engine, it just turns on the ignition, u'd still need to hotwire or bump start the car and release the steering lock so its not that much of a problem.

A diode soldered into the permament live feed solves that problem.

Jack
02-02-07, 01:12 PM
IIRC mid-later Mk2 dashes had it fixed from the factory anyway, t'was only early ones...?

And as loggyboy said there are other security features as std to circumnavigate. Also, and decent immobiliser will prevent it.