View Full Version : WIP- Past to Present

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

vaughanmc
03-05-09, 07:06 PM
Nice one, definately one I'll be coming for a look at :thumb:

Adam
03-05-09, 07:13 PM
Cool :)

It should be tidy enough to be on the stand :)

Benn
03-05-09, 11:46 PM
Good work dude, still dont like the looks of the rear mount tho..lol

What all the piping in the inlet tubes? I see a benn style icv pipe connection.. lol and fan of kings.. Best i ever found was that, hoping it will still fit on the let..

I never botherd with an oil cooler, engine didnt have one when it was in the cablira and have never run one. Was ok and fine on track days so in my books it was stress tested.

Adam
03-05-09, 11:54 PM
Yeah the rear mount isnt ideal.
A better plan would of been to just redrill two new holes....
Might do that if i get some spare time, and find another rear mount....

ICV pipe is two icv hoses with a 90deg copper bend from B&Q lol

What piping are you looking at???

And aye, the front mount fan is a good mod, costs like a tenner and gives loads more room around the exhaust manifold etc.....

Mike
03-05-09, 11:56 PM
Its coming along Ad! LOL recognise those knuckles hahhaa ill have to pop over once ive got the @RSe an pay you a visit chap.

Steve
04-05-09, 12:08 AM
And aye, the front mount fan is a good mod, costs like a tenner and gives loads more room around the exhaust manifold etc.....
What fan are you using? It looks familiar..

Adam
04-05-09, 12:20 AM
I think its a astra G air con fan....

A RST one can also be used iirc.

Anytime Mike :)

Steve
04-05-09, 12:23 AM
Cool, does it mount up alright or did you make a bracket?

AlexW
04-05-09, 03:01 AM
Looking good ad, good to see progress on it.

and steve my fan is from a astra mk4 and is just crammed in there and hasnt been a prob even with it running perm and being bumped about like hell lol.

Ernie
04-05-09, 09:09 AM
Looking good Adam.
ive done the same with the rear mount on mine but not as much.
Its done 2 track days now and not budged and as you found out it is way of the orignal hole.
I tryed all differant ways with the other mounts undone or loosened of but there is no chance.
I also tryed with a huge leaver bar with my 18 stone mate on the end but still couldnt get the bolt through.
Should be fine as Dave Marshalls aint budged in over 2 years and done the same.

John
04-05-09, 09:16 AM
Good progress Ad! I had the same issues using the solid mounts i had when i originally fitted the xe.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79715

The rear mount fitted fine though.

yeah the front mount fan is off an astra G, just made to fit with a few elongated brackets, tacked to the front panel. (ad it's just on the front fog switch atm, so it could be switched when needed, not the thermo switch)

Ad i never ran the oil cooler either, ran ok.

Benn
04-05-09, 09:40 AM
Yeah the rear mount isnt ideal.
A better plan would of been to just redrill two new holes....
Might do that if i get some spare time, and find another rear mount....

ICV pipe is two icv hoses with a 90deg copper bend from B&Q lol

What piping are you looking at???

Yeah the icv piping is got i did mine...lol
and the plastic tubing in the air piping..

The fan can be cable tie on to the rad top and bottom, thats how i fitted mine.

The Simps
04-05-09, 11:36 AM
Good progress Ad!

On the rear mount, can you not tack in a washer if you want to add a little strength?

Also, the front mount, you said you had to pass a bolt through the chassis. Is there not enough room to put the bolt through the mount the up into the car mount then slide the bracket over the end of the thread? Or is there not enough room for the bolt head against the chassis leg?

Adam
04-05-09, 12:53 PM
I might bin the cooler then, not sure yet....

Benn-The plastic tubing is just some drainpipe ;) lol

Simps, that is an option, but as Ernie pointed out it should be ok, i did the bolt/nut FT so the bracket will be clamped against the mount now and shouldn't budge.

I tried that with the mount first time, and nope it wont work.
There is zero space between mount and chassis even without a bolt head.....
Hence i had to feed a bolt through a hole in the chassis leg, which was already there... So i assume the mounts are designed to use that hole....

scott.parker
04-05-09, 12:56 PM
Ad if your going to give it some abuse on track i would fit the cooler mate, just replace with flexie oil pipes from euro rally etc.

Scott

Adam
04-05-09, 01:04 PM
Ive got another cooler/pipes that i had off John ages ago, which looks like it'll fit better as the pipes are shorter, but the unions where it fits the sandwich plate are different to mine...
I had an idea of just sawing the unions where the solid pipes join the rubber hoses off, and then just shorting them using normal rubber hose...
But not sure if jubilee clipped hose would hold up to the pressure of oil....

scott.parker
04-05-09, 01:13 PM
Might work, if not do you have a local place that supplies fuel/oil/air lines, (cant think of then name now) i went to a place in cov to get some custom fuel line, and oil line for a mates car once.

Scott

The Simps
04-05-09, 01:21 PM
pirtek for the fittings.

The Simps
04-05-09, 01:26 PM
I tried that with the mount first time, and nope it wont work.
There is zero space between mount and chassis even without a bolt head.....
Hence i had to feed a bolt through a hole in the chassis leg, which was already there... So i assume the mounts are designed to use that hole....

Not so easy with the chassis plate kit fitted tho...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Nova%20Coupe%20Project/06-07-082.jpg

scott.parker
04-05-09, 01:52 PM
pirtek for the fittings.

That's the buggers! lol http://www.pirtek.co.uk/service-centre-locator/north-west/stoke.aspx

fearless
04-05-09, 03:34 PM
Yeh - go for crimped/hydraulic/aeroquip type oil cooler pipe work

Would you trust a jubilee clip not to let go and lose all your oil !!!!

Adam
05-05-09, 08:37 PM
Good point.

Tried my other cooler on earlier,and it fits perfectly, but the unions wont fit my sandwich plate. They are like brake line flares.., whereas my other cooler has banjo type bolts...
What coolers are people using?
I need the short pipe version, but with banjo unions....

John
05-05-09, 08:58 PM
post some pics of what you've got ad, i may have the sandwich plate of my old xe.

Adam
05-05-09, 09:16 PM
Cant atm mate, im at home...

But my sandwich plate has different threads than that cooler has i had off you.
It has banjo bolts, with a copper washer each side, like brake flexi's.

Your cooler has flared out unions.

I think my cooler is off a astra gte, and yours a late cav or something?

scott.parker
05-05-09, 09:18 PM
If you have a few different ends for joining etc, could you not take them all to pirtek and get them to put what ever one's on to either end of the pipes, so you can concoct it out of all of your parts? they should do it mate.

Scott

Benn
05-05-09, 09:21 PM
Ad i have a few sandwich plates here, what me to get a pic to see if you can use one? Yours if you want them.

Adam
06-05-09, 07:28 PM
Yes please Benn! :)

Scott-I could do, but Pirtek will want £££££££ lol

Ernie
06-05-09, 07:30 PM
Change the sandwitch plate but make sure to get the bolt that hold the new one in as its differant to the one you have.
I had to do the same to ollys engine when i fitted it.

John
06-05-09, 07:32 PM
I'll see what i have for you ad.

Benn
06-05-09, 07:57 PM
I have 3, all banjo bolts.

Adam
07-05-09, 12:10 AM
Cheers John/Benn :)

Adam
07-05-09, 10:59 PM
Handbrake cable now on, but its a old skool setup that crosses the exhaust, so i think it might touch the exhaust. Will have to have a closer look when i fit the system.

Tiebars/Control arms are now torqued up and sound.

Driveshafts on

Starter motor/alt wired up, clutch cable fitted, clutch feels nice and soft :cool:

Brakes/Suspension/Exhaust/Wiring/Interior left to do. :cool:
Hope to get brakes and suspension on next, so i can get it back on its wheels and see how the Avo's sit (the height adjusters have seized, so where it sits is where it stays lol )

AlexW
07-05-09, 11:00 PM
Will be good when finished.

Good luck with it mate.

djbrowney
07-05-09, 11:04 PM
looks good fella

Adam
07-05-09, 11:05 PM
Cheers :)
Properly cracking on now, so far nothing has gone wrong/not fitted.
But theres time yet lol

djbrowney
07-05-09, 11:07 PM
and you just talked it up lol

Riggy
07-05-09, 11:10 PM
good stuff ad , goin to be at the national day with it ?

Adam
07-05-09, 11:19 PM
No mate.

PV will be pushing it timewise tbh!!
it has no mot/tax/insurance atm....
And i dont even know if the engine runs lol (ive had it almost a year myself, so no idea how long its sat for)

Ste L
07-05-09, 11:26 PM
And i dont even know if the engine runs lol (ive had it almost a year myself, so no idea how long its sat for)

know that feeling, im dreading the day when i have to start mine but, been sat for nearly 2 years :eek:

Adam
07-05-09, 11:28 PM
I dont see a reason why mine wont run tbh.
I know the loom and ecu is a good as its Johns old stuff.
And the engine has had every gasket etc replaced, all the bores looked good.

So it should fire up first go, fingers crossed lol

craig green
07-05-09, 11:33 PM
Yeh - go for crimped/hydraulic/aeroquip type oil cooler pipe work

Swaged

Mazz
08-05-09, 09:41 AM
Ad - my XE had stood for 3-4 years (maybe more!) and started up so your's will be fine :)

Adam
10-05-09, 07:45 PM
Had a long day at work today, but did manage to do a bit on the car.

Front brakes repainted and fitted, re-used the old discs as there about 2k miles old if that... A bit rusty but hoping they clear off the first time i use them....
Front coilovers built back up and fitted.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1425.jpg

Ride height (i cant adjust it without physically swapping the springs...)
I would like it slightly lower, but it'll have to do...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1429.jpg

Rear coilovers also fitted, (after a lot of swearing and twa**ing the arches with a hammer) lol
They just about clear the inner arch. Just hope they dont rub a 15" wheel/tyre...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1427.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1426.jpg

Rear ride height (but with a steel wheel, not sure how low it'll be on 15s)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1428.jpg

Also managed to dig out my small washer tank and fit that, resprayed the front strut brace too :)

Happy with the days progress :cool:

Next on the list is brake fluid,oil,coolant,gearbox oil, wiring....... And then turn the key.....
Interior is going to just be a mix of grey/black trim lol, it should "work" though with the black cage etc :)

Looking more like a car
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1432.jpg

novalicous
10-05-09, 08:06 PM
Some good progress adam

its realy starting to come together :thumb:

John
10-05-09, 08:27 PM
Top stuff ad! Shame you had to hammer the inner arches, the gaz cleared fine.

Adam
10-05-09, 08:52 PM
It hasnt really damaged anything, i just had to flatten some of the "sticky out bits" inside the rear arches lol
Cant notice now ive stonechipped the arches.... :)

CorsaBBoomer
10-05-09, 09:01 PM
Top job Adam :thumb:

General Baxter
10-05-09, 09:02 PM
5 days left lol

Adam
10-05-09, 09:03 PM
Till what?

Im going Nat Day in the Astra.

General Baxter
10-05-09, 09:05 PM
FAIL lol

novaload1992
10-05-09, 09:52 PM
fine show!

Benn
10-05-09, 10:14 PM
Nice work dude, looks good but needs to be much lower...

scott.parker
10-05-09, 11:35 PM
Good work Ad, it will be fine that hight.

Adam
11-05-09, 08:48 PM
Nice work dude, looks good but needs to be much lower...
Much lower????
If i fit shorter springs the coilovers will be bottoming out, and the tyres will be hitting the lip on the front wings... lol
The height it is now should be ok imo, probably 40-50mm, but i want to keep decent suspension travel and good clearence for on track etc :)

Cheers Scott :)

Benn
11-05-09, 08:52 PM
Lips on the arch? Whats that? ;)

If you'll have to mess about with springs then leave it, i only raised mine abit for track, just made them harder each time i went out till it was right.

Does look good tho..

Adam
11-05-09, 09:42 PM
Aye, the only way to drop it further would be to actually change the springs...
But i do have my spare Avo front coilovers which arent seized, so i could swap back to them. But these ones were refurbed more recently, so i wanted stick with these.

Spose i could take a grinder to the wing lips.... As the tyres are going to smash into the lip if i hit a bump with any steering lock on at all

Jay
11-05-09, 09:47 PM
Will be good when its done, can't wait to see it.

Rich
11-05-09, 09:48 PM
My fk's are seized too, a real pain! I took the helper springs out but was a little too low lol

Not posible to buy new collars for them?

Adam
11-05-09, 09:50 PM
Probably. But removing the old ones without damaging the body threads???

MK999
11-05-09, 09:50 PM
Aye, the only way to drop it further would be to actually change the springs...
But i do have my spare Avo front coilovers which arent seized, so i could swap back to them. But these ones were refurbed more recently, so i wanted stick with these.

Spose i could take a grinder to the wing lips.... As the tyres are going to smash into the lip if i hit a bump with any steering lock on at all

Surely if they're seized that's a pointer towards the less recently refurbed ones being in slightly better nick?

Adam
11-05-09, 09:53 PM
These ones are in much better nick overall.
Its just they've sat in a garage or something, hence why the adjusters have seized.
I did manage to get one side loosen off slightly, but tother wont budge... So i had to wind it back to level the ride height each side.....

Benn
12-05-09, 08:00 PM
I'd rather bend the rear lips up and then seal them in tbh.
And ah didnt know they where seized in there, mine got tight even when coverd in copper slip.
My Gaz are coverd in Jcb thick thick thick thick grease that even brake cleaner wont get off...lol

Adam
12-05-09, 09:17 PM
Bending them up without using a proper hammer/dolly though will crease the arch?

I will have to remove the lips one way or another, front and rear. Because the wheels are going to hit them

Benn
12-05-09, 09:19 PM
No.
But you'll need to snip a line where the lips curves around...

Adam
12-05-09, 09:22 PM
I'll see what i can do.

Picked up another set of 15s tonight, with Proxes fitted....
There 6spoke astra wheels.

So im going run the car about on those until i refurb the mo's.

Benn
12-05-09, 09:25 PM
Nice.
Its only cause grinding will seprator the to skins and let moisture in. Folding them up doesnt as much.

alistairolsen
12-05-09, 10:15 PM
astra rims are only 5.5J ad

Steve
13-05-09, 12:06 AM
Yes but for some reason the early models dont seem to like 195 tyres, out of the ones ive had 185/55s catch as do 195/45s

I trimmed the arches to allow for clearance on my old one with 194/45s but they were actually rubbing on the rear shock absorber cover.

AlexW
13-05-09, 12:23 AM
Picked up another set of 15s tonight, with Proxes fitted....
There 6spoke astra wheels.

So im going run the car about on those until i refurb the mo's.

I bet there the ones i like lol

Adam
13-05-09, 09:37 PM
Are they Ali??? Thought they were 6J?

Fitted two on the rear tonight, with 195/45 tyres, clearence seems fine. They clear the arch lips and the coilovers, bad news is the rear end is sitting high and looks to** imo. Its about 30mm at a guess....
So future job is get some shorter rear springs.

Did some wiring tonight, engine wiring is done. Just wiring up my Tim rev counter, and cally oil/volt gauges to do now.... Also im not bothering fitting a cd player, so thats the new home for the cally gauges :)

Connected up the battery and had no fires :D lol
Headlamps,indicators, dash instrutments etc all work. Blower motor/rear window heater/rear fogs dont, so will check the fog bulbs and the fuses tomorrow.

Just waiting for sandwich plate to arrive, so i can turn the engine over and see if it fires :)

Exhaust flexi pipe has also arrived, just needs welding to the system/manifold.

S**t load of work to do before pv tbh, without sorting a mot etc :(

AW06

There the wide 6spoke ones, with same centre caps as Cesaros.
I dont like them lol

But there mint condition, and the tyres are good, so they will do to get the car through its mot etc.

Benn
13-05-09, 09:38 PM
Do your clocks not have the oil/volt gauges?

Loads of work... you and me both.

Adam
13-05-09, 09:40 PM
Do your clocks not have the oil/volt gauges?

Loads of work... you and me both.
Nope, ive got some mega old skool speedo clocks.

Its only a few wires to get these aftermarket guages fitted though, so all is good.

Benn
13-05-09, 09:41 PM
Ah i see.

The Simps
13-05-09, 09:58 PM
good work, looking forward to seeing it at PV.

Adam
13-05-09, 10:04 PM
Fingers crossed

alistairolsen
13-05-09, 11:27 PM
be reet

Adam
14-05-09, 10:34 PM
Got a sandwich plate off Philip, top stuff. Now got it fitted with the cooler off John. Fits nicely behind the grill, cable tied to the rad/fan mount.
Also got my front strut brace sprayed up in a random met blue colour, looks very random, but cool in the bay :cool:
Got the engine filled with oil, and the batt refitted and it turns over on the starter fine :cool:
Also plugged the ecu in, and ive got a ecu light with ignition,so all is good.
Just need sort the exhaust, and put some fuel in before i can fire it up :)

Brake fluid/Coolantr/Interior/Gauge wiring left to do :)

Adam
17-05-09, 07:58 PM
Got it running yesterday. Had a visit from Iainel and Emma, and was so confident in my own ability that i gave its first startup attempt, and it fired up 1st go :cool: lol
Good oil pressure too :cool:

Ran it up to temp and all is good. Typical XE the sump gasket is leaking :roll:
Also got the brakes bled, piece of piss with eezibleed kit, took about 5mins do the whole system.

Hoping get the exhaust welded up tomorrow, and go over the wiring for the Tim tacho, as it isnt working, unless it aint compatible with the tacho signal from a xe ecu.....

Iain
17-05-09, 08:09 PM
I can confirm it started first go, how boring is that lol

Adam
17-05-09, 08:10 PM
lol lol

Jealous? :p

Iain
17-05-09, 08:11 PM
Yes :(

Steve
17-05-09, 08:24 PM
Good stuff, glad to hear it started up ok. :thumb:

Adam
18-05-09, 03:52 PM
Made a start on the inside today as its pissing down too much to do the exhaust :(
Dash in, along with centre console etc. Cheers to Colin Smith for the fog switch,ashtray,fusebox cover,column surrounds :D
Cally turbo white gauges also fitted, hardly a perfect fit, but there in there, so thats how they are staying. :thumb:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1438.jpg

Rev counter doesnt work at all, so i assume its shagged. Cheers to the CS user i bought that off :roll:

Then drilled the holes in the floor for the harness eye bolts
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1436.jpg

Using the worlds longest drill bit lol lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1435.jpg

Just got to get the buckets out the loft and chuck them in!
Obviously all this is going to come out again when i get round to fitting the cage lol

Also need some more engine bits, sump gasket is really pi**ing oil out. Big puddle after running the engine for 5mins :cry:
And the long shaft diff seal on the box is also leaking :cry:

Pv is getting closer and closer!! :(

Astra also failed mot today :mad:

burgo
18-05-09, 03:56 PM
that drill bit is ridiculous lol. what did the astra fail on?

Adam
18-05-09, 04:02 PM
The bit was the right width, just stupidly long lol
Did the job though. :cool:

Failed on headlamp insecure/aim wrong, indicator lense incompletely(loose), track rod balljoint, OS rear shocker severely leaking fluid.
Not bad really, but the track rod is seized solid, hence why i didnt change it when doing the wishbone a few month back lol

Can sort headlamp etc with a scrappy replacement, same for indicator.
Rear shock i'll buy a new one. Had a look at the old and it aint leaking at all IMO :wtf: , its damp but is been raining for about the last month so that aint suprising, but "SEVERELY leaking" is a piss take imo. But oh well.

Seen a mega cheap corsa 1.2i for sale though, with 6month tax and test, so im tempted buy that.... Cheaper insurance and tax.
The astras tax is due this month too, so got to decide where to spend the money.....

Ernie
18-05-09, 04:15 PM
my astra failed on the head light and it was the little white plastic bit that joins the adjuster to the headlight had broken.

Good news on the engine tho and fit a 2ltr 8v gasked as its rubber and much better but remember to fit shorter bolts or a rew washers and dont over tighten them.

Adam
18-05-09, 04:37 PM
Aye, its just a ball ache having to drop the exhaust manifold etc back off again!!!! :(

craig green
18-05-09, 04:46 PM
Getting there though. Good lad.

I couldnt look at those Cally gauges though, look so awkward in the head unit gap.

Adam
18-05-09, 05:19 PM
Not ideal aye mate, but they are there for a purpose :)

trackdaynova
18-05-09, 05:25 PM
its just shonky leaving it like that... very shocked tbh.

i'm all for 'built for purpose' and all that, or 'function over form', but it just looks atrosious and means you have zero worksmanship levels.

wouldn't take much to get them looking nice tbh.

craig green
18-05-09, 05:32 PM
Not ideal aye mate, but they are there for a purpose :)

I wouldnt argue with your reasons for doing it at all. Personally I find things like that in the line of sight a massive distraction, likewise stripped track cars with no dash. It would put me off more than losing the few kg's had gained in terms of performance. :thumb:

Adam
18-05-09, 05:39 PM

i'm all for 'built for purpose' and all that, or 'function over form', but it just looks atrosious and means you have zero worksmanship levels.

It will take a lot of time/effort (which i dont have atm) to get them looking nice, considering they do not fit in the headunit hole.
Would need to hack it away, and then use filler/fibreglass to smooth them into the dash.

When i have the time spare i will do something with them :)

Benn
18-05-09, 07:12 PM
Why does you just run 6dial clocks? They have everything in one.
What the gauge bolted to the dash?

alistairolsen
18-05-09, 08:09 PM
as benn said, Id get some 6 dial guages and then get a second, high pressure oil switch and a ****ing big red light.

If youre keen, strip the clocks and replace the revcounter with something better with a shift light.

I hate anything above the dash, wipers adjusted right down, whole screen polished and rainx'd, does my head in otherwise!

Benn
18-05-09, 08:59 PM
Surely with the 6dial clocks you wont need an extra light.
But if you really need one, wire an extra one up to one of the spare lights along the bottom, like the tow bar light. (as in you'll be towing it home if you dont notice)

corsakid
18-05-09, 09:03 PM
its not hard to get it to fit well! look mine dosent fit the best but fits alot better than yours lol looks dreadful which is a shame
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/RSGBodystylingska/DSC00075.jpg

Steve
18-05-09, 09:12 PM
Im with adam on this, he's got more important things to worry about than decent fitting gauges. Shame about the sump leak, should be ok getting the manifold off though as it probably hasnt been on too long?

John
18-05-09, 09:15 PM
Shame bout the astra ad!

You done the rubber sump mod? i've got some poper vw sump sealer (£18 a tube lmao) you can have if you want it.

General Baxter
18-05-09, 09:20 PM
£50 for the astra lol

Adam
18-05-09, 09:59 PM
No, wheels are worth that alone

John, i used a normal two piece 16v gasket, which i now realise was an uber fail lol
Ive not looked closely as i cba, but i think the sandwich plate o-ring is leaking too, i re-used the old one as it looked in ok condition.

Adam
18-05-09, 09:59 PM
No

John, i used a normal two piece 16v gasket, which i now realise was an uber fail lol
Ive not looked closely as i cba, but i think the sandwich plate o-ring is leaking too, i re-used the old one as it looked in ok condition.

alistairolsen
18-05-09, 11:29 PM
Surely with the 6dial clocks you wont need an extra light.
But if you really need one, wire an extra one up to one of the spare lights along the bottom, like the tow bar light. (as in you'll be towing it home if you dont notice)

personally, an oil pressure guage is handy, but on track you want a high pressure switch and a big light. Nothing subtle, a big **** off red lamp in your field of vision

Rich
19-05-09, 02:29 PM
No

I did that on my astra, leaked like a biatch :( Sump was ok though, use an 8v calibra bonded one, the way forward:thumb:

Adam
19-05-09, 03:15 PM
Going see if i can get the gauges sitting better, if not i'll just remove them as i do have a set of 6dial clocks....

And aye the std oil pressure switch is a bit useless, it comes on at about 5psi, and with 5psi oil pressure your engine wont be running for long. lol

Rich-Yup, looks like thats what i'll have to do asap.

Ernie
19-05-09, 03:17 PM
like mine you mean ?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/JDL%20Project/IMG_1741resized.jpg
My oil lighte is better at lighting the interea than the standard light.
Also alot easyer to fit the gauges's to a mrk2 dash.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/JDL%20Project/005-4.jpg

Adam
19-05-09, 03:23 PM
Yeah, i'll fit a light the size of that one :cool:

Ernie
19-05-09, 03:29 PM
very early spec trailer side light wired to the oil light on the dash for FTW
It lights up the hole car when its on.

Will F
19-05-09, 06:43 PM

WTF?? Bit harsh Olly.

Understand what you are getting at - but zero workmanship levels? What a rediculous and unfounded comment?!

Adam
19-05-09, 08:56 PM
Cracked on with the exhaust earlier, got the flexi piece welded to the system, and then clamped to the exhaust manifold. All fits fine.
But being a cheap Sportex system the fitment isnt the best, so im going to have to have a play with the middle section/backbox to try and get it sitting better as its going to tap on the transmission tunnel under hard cornering.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1440.jpg

Not an amazing weld, but its fine. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1439.jpg

trackdaynova
19-05-09, 09:05 PM
What a rediculous and unfounded comment?!
work·man·ship (wûrk-mun-ship)
1. The skill of a craftsperson or artisan.
2. The quality of something made, as by an artisan:
3. Something made or produced by a workman.
4. The product of effort or endeavor.

workmanship Noun
the degree of skill with which an object is made

Meaning that I struggle to see how once it's done, Adam can be happy with how it looks, after he's put the effort in wiring them up, it wouldn't have took much for get them looking half decent... without the need of filler, fibreglass, smoothing etc.

~back on topic~

Benn
19-05-09, 09:25 PM
Why the flexi? Was it not a flage like a normal xe system?

Adam
19-05-09, 10:39 PM
The system had a standard cav type flange on, but im not using a std exhaust manifold so it was no where near lining up, so i chopped that off and put the flexi in.
Will be fine when i get chance to twist the mid section slightly to sit it further away from the transmission tunnel.

Steve
19-05-09, 10:50 PM
Gonna put a flexi on mine at some point, how much was yours ad?

Adam
19-05-09, 11:00 PM
13quid mate.
Ive welded it to the system, and just clamped it to the manifold, so i can disconnect the system and manifold should i need to :)

Steve
19-05-09, 11:01 PM
Yeah, where from? I spoke to my garage about one and they said "You dont want one of them welded on, they get expensive!"

Adam
19-05-09, 11:09 PM
RM Catalysts on Ebay

Obviously the smaller size you need, the cheaper they are...

Will F
20-05-09, 02:03 PM
work·man·ship (wûrk-mun-ship)
1. The skill of a craftsperson or artisan.
2. The quality of something made, as by an artisan:
3. Something made or produced by a workman.
4. The product of effort or endeavor.

workmanship Noun
the degree of skill with which an object is made

Meaning that I struggle to see how once it's done, Adam can be happy with how it looks, after he's put the effort in wiring them up, it wouldn't have took much for get them looking half decent... without the need of filler, fibreglass, smoothing etc.

~back on topic~

OK pal - I am aware of what you meant bit what I am saying it that it was UNNECESSARY

–adjective 1.not necessary or essential; needless; unessential.
–noun 2.unnecessaries, things that are not necessary or essential.

:tard:

Adam
20-05-09, 03:32 PM
Pmsl lol lol

At the end of the day, its two gauges held in with a bolt, in a track/fast road car.
I really couldn't careless if they aint mirror smoothed into the dashboard or not lol

And i think "atrocious" was a bit OTT tbh, its not like they are gaffa taped to the windscreen or something....

Anyways, no hard feelings,back on topic :) :)

AlexW
20-05-09, 03:44 PM
Looking good. I have the same flexi on mine, makes a funny noise lol.

Damo
20-05-09, 05:01 PM
good to see the xe's finally running adam been following this one for a while now gutted about your old white nova but this one looks alot stronger shell wise.
good luck with the rest of the build mate.

Adam
20-05-09, 07:38 PM

Ste L
20-05-09, 07:49 PM
nice to see it's finally getting there Adam :D

trackdaynova
20-05-09, 08:21 PM
next you'll be gaffer taping your bonnet down, or your rear window in lol

draper
20-05-09, 10:03 PM
getting there adam, did you get them rear doorcards from johns ? was they ok for you ?

Adam
20-05-09, 10:06 PM
next you'll be gaffer taping your bonnet down, or your rear window in lol
FPMSL lol lol lol
Rep for that

Draper-Yes mate cheers

muzzy
20-05-09, 11:01 PM
Nice to see you getting there with the new shell

Adam
22-05-09, 10:38 PM
Quick update, changed the sandwich plate o-ring earlier on, hoping thats where the oil leak was coming from.
Also changed the box diff seal, had to remove the bearing carrier to get the new seal in place, bastid of a job! Lost all the box oil too, so now need another 2L of that.

Have also fitted gte 6 dial clocks and removed the cally gauges for now.

Exhaust is now spot on, track rods tightened to the steering knuckles, so its ready to test drive. Will put a bit more petrol in tomorrow and have a nervous drive down the street and back lol lol

The Simps
22-05-09, 10:44 PM
Have also fitted gte 6 dial clocks and removed the cally gauges for now.

:thumb:

Steve
22-05-09, 11:09 PM
Cool, glad its ready for a test drive. You not driven a big block before have you ad? Tis a good feeling.

Jay
23-05-09, 07:50 AM
Will it be at pv?

Benn
23-05-09, 09:03 AM
Nice!

Adam
23-05-09, 07:08 PM
Cool, glad its ready for a test drive. You not driven a big block before have you ad? Tis a good feeling.
Driven,no. Ive been in a couple of tb'd track ones though :thumb:

Jay-If it passes mot and doesnt break down between now and then, yes.

Got everything pretty much sorted today, and went for a quick test drive round the block. Jesus wept :eek: Gave it a bit of throttle in 2nd and pretty much hit straight into the limiter doing about 60 lol. Thats what getting used to driving a diesel astra for 3month does to you lol
Put a HUGE smile on my face, it rattles, its loud as f**k, the suspension breaks your back, the steering is heavy as hell, the brakes put you through the windscreen, but its f**king ace!!! :D

So far, NOTHING is leaking now, which is all good. Booking a mot and sorting insurance asap.

Few kind of finished pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1442.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1441.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1444.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1447.jpg

Backbox doesnt quite sit in the cutout, but its near enough....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1449.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1450.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1451.jpg

Rear wiper removed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1454.jpg

Oh and for anyone wondering 6spoke Astra 15s DONT fit over 288 brakes.
And the SRI airbox doesnt fit in the engine bay with a xe in there! lol
Maybe if you fitted it with the wing off and before putting the engine in, it may squeeze in, but i currently have no filter fitted...

Also got a full set of dealersport mudflaps to go on :)
Got a few bits on the exterior to do, bumpers need some gel on to get them dark again, need a red tape stripe on the front and sides, and i need the Mo's on!!!!
That is all.

The Simps
23-05-09, 07:11 PM
Glad to hear you like it mate! Now go have some fun on track :)

peester
23-05-09, 09:03 PM
awesome ad,... chuffed for you mate. Inspirational update that. Top job.

worthwhile change of luck after fate of the white one eh,

Adam
23-05-09, 09:10 PM
:)

Astra also now has 12months mot :cool:

corsakid
23-05-09, 09:15 PM
looks awesome

AlexW
23-05-09, 09:18 PM
Looking good, Will look even better on track :p

Let me know if ya fancy selling me the sri airbox :p

Graeme
23-05-09, 09:35 PM
Good build Ad, Is it going to Pv?

Adam
23-05-09, 11:21 PM
AW06-Pm me an offer dude. :)

Graeme-MOT dependant yeah

Lee
23-05-09, 11:24 PM
Good man Ad, welcome to the world of proper engines :) :)

Graeme
23-05-09, 11:25 PM
Should pass no problem shouldn't it? Bring it up my way

Adam
23-05-09, 11:33 PM
The only two things it could fail on imo are the passenger rear arch, where its rusted at the bottom of the lip, it could be failed as "weakened sill", as its right where the arch meets the sill...
I remember John mentioning that was an advisory on last years mot.
An arch panel replacement would sort it and make the car pretty much mint for its age, but i dont have the time to sort that before pv etc.

And the coilover springs are slightly loose when the car is fully jacked up....

Apart from that theres nothing else it can possibly fail on imo.

craig green
23-05-09, 11:42 PM
Good man Ad, welcome to the world of proper engines :) :)

Well done Ad. Looks cool.

Adam
23-05-09, 11:46 PM
:D

And got to admit, even after a quick drive it feels a sheet load quicker than my s/b 16v ever did.
Although this shell is lighter, much lighter.

More power and less weight is bound to feel a lot quicker.

craig green
23-05-09, 11:48 PM
2.0 torque too. valvers in a Nova are always savage.

Benn
24-05-09, 12:11 AM
Dude! Looks freaking awesome! Cant wait to see it.

MK999
24-05-09, 12:41 AM
And the coilover springs are slightly loose when the car is fully jacked up....

IIRC you can only fail on these if they would fall out, so with coilovers you should be fine! :)

Adam
24-05-09, 12:45 AM
If thats the case, sorted :)

burgo
24-05-09, 12:47 AM
looks the bollox mate

MK999
24-05-09, 01:11 AM
I'm about 95% sure that's right, because I'm sure someone has said cable tying short springs to the beam is fine for an mot

Matt
24-05-09, 01:26 AM
Top work getting it up and running so quickly! No fecking around.

:cool:

burgo
24-05-09, 01:36 AM
I'm about 95% sure that's right, because I'm sure someone has said cable tying short springs to the beam is fine for an motish. its not so much what you use to secure the springs it is more that they dont fall out when they jack it up

Adam
24-05-09, 01:37 AM
Being coilovers they obviouslu cant fall out. But the spring could dislocate off the spring platform......

Cheers Matt :)

Joe Richardson
24-05-09, 11:57 AM
Good work Adam:thumb:

Iain
24-05-09, 04:53 PM
Let me know how the coilovers go with an MOT as I've always worried about my springs dislocating when jacked up.

Can't wait for you to bring it round and let me drive it! :)

Adam
24-05-09, 08:11 PM
Youd have to hit a 3foot ramp and get a foot of air for the suspension to become fully extended anyway, it would NEVER happen on a road car. So its not a problem, but i remember on my old nova, the tester commented about the springs, but i didnt wind them up any and he passed it. Whether he forgot about it or not im not sure.

As soon as its mot'd/taxed/insured i'll bring it over your way one night ;)
Just dont break it lol

discoinferno
24-05-09, 08:43 PM
looks very good mate, well done, its the best move you ve done going 2.0 16v they are awesome engines, the performance they offer when put into a nova is staggering.

Adam
24-05-09, 08:48 PM

discoinferno
26-05-09, 07:48 AM
can you not get helper springs, my rear coilovers have them underneath the main spring, when the car is jacked up the helper spring keeps the tension on the main spring stopping it slopping around like a sloppy cock!

just a thought :)

Adam
26-05-09, 07:25 PM
Im going see if the tester mentions them first, if he fails it on them then helper springs is a possible solution :)

nathan.
26-05-09, 09:21 PM
Adam, it looks the dogs danggies. Hope it go through MOT ok.

As regards the spring, its upto the MOT tester really at the time, it does say something about lowering springs in the MOT book, basically they can be loose but must relocate correctly.
Mine passed ok, but a mate of mine's failed because they didn't relocate properly when dropped back down (they wasn't coilovers)

nath

Adam
26-05-09, 11:45 PM
Cheers Nath, will see how it goes.

(Its now insured :cool: )

alistairolsen
27-05-09, 10:01 AM
Youd have to hit a 3foot ramp and get a foot of air for the suspension to become fully extended anyway, it would NEVER happen on a road car.

;)

lollollol

Adam
27-05-09, 09:10 PM
:p

lol lol

Adam
29-05-09, 07:57 PM
Just failed mot, pathetic reasons as usual lol

Pass wheel touches gearbox on full lock, Drivers touches oil cooler pipes.
BUT only with the car jacked up.... Doesnt do it with the car on the ground.
But he failed it on that anyway. Even though it will never happen on the road lol

"Incorrect alterations made to front/rear number plates", they are german pressed plates which i was told are legal????

Failed on that, both reasons are pretty crap tbh!!!

Wheels its looking like needing smaller wheels for mot, or trying some spacers.
Plates, i need two new plates. I do have the original plates off the car, tried removing the german plate, resulting in it getting bent and splitting, so thats now fcuked.
So i now need a new set of pressed plates too :roll: :roll:

Everything else is sound, tester couldn't believe how solid the underside was for a 25year old car!!! :cool:

He never mentioned the coilover springs being loose with the car fully jacked up.... :)

Had quite a drive on the way back from the test center ;) lol
It handles awesomely, and just pulls and pulls through all gears :D

craig green
29-05-09, 08:01 PM
Plates were cack anyway. Plain plastic ones FTW.

Stupid gay tester! Mint Nova though!

Adam
29-05-09, 08:03 PM
You think? I liked the plates :p

Iain
29-05-09, 08:05 PM
I don't think your plates were legal Ad, the font was wrong IIRC. Not toooo bad for a it's first MOT after you've done so much with it though.

John
29-05-09, 08:06 PM
screw the original ones back on for test, the re-fit the other ones after.

Southie
29-05-09, 08:09 PM
I think those type of plates have now become ilegal for road use anyway as they have clamped down on them recently. People who make them have stopped anyway. I liked them though they looked more suited to it.

Mot guy huh. When's the retest?

Benn
29-05-09, 08:45 PM
Only the ones with the reflective back grounds are legal.

Just pop a 3mm spacer on for the test, will push the wheels out.

Jay
29-05-09, 08:46 PM
So is it coming to pv then Ad

The Simps
29-05-09, 11:05 PM
Although annoying that's a bit of a result to be fair! Could of been far worse and at least they are an easy fix.

Adam
31-05-09, 12:18 AM
Ive bought some new std uk plates, so thats that sorted.
Benn-The plates did reflect, and the font is identical to uk font.....
Apparently they were made illegal last month.

Had a look at the wheel situation today and it aint looking good tbh!!!
The pass wheel does touch the gearbox, and the drivers side pushes the oil cooler pipes tightly against the bottom pully!! Its actually cut a groove in the pipes where theyve hit the pully!!! :eek: Lucky the tester mentioned it actually else it could of been bye bye engine..... :eek:

How do people that run coolers get round this problem??? The tyre doesnt just rub the pipes, it pushes them about an inch across, right onto the bottom pully???

As for sorting it, im now clueless. Tried a smaller 195/45 tyre, no better, tried 3mil spacers,no better.
Im either going to have to stop the rack getting so much steering lock somehow?
Or downsize the wheels to 14s, which also means having to fit valver brakes......

At this rate, pv aint happening. :roll:

Overall, not a bad mot result, considering the cars sat for months, and the engines sat for a year....
Its just if i need smaller wheels, its more time and money, both of which really dont have.....

Jay
31-05-09, 12:21 AM
Not good news Ad hope you get it sortd for PV.

Rick Draper
31-05-09, 12:25 AM
Is your tracking miles out?

Adam
31-05-09, 12:29 AM
Its probably out, its a new rack and i set it by eye.
But if anything its towing out, which will help avoid my problem as the tyres front edge are sitting out slightly away from the car, if you get me????

The Simps
31-05-09, 02:21 AM
How do your pipes run at the minute?

I ran mine in the grooves (was running 5mm spacers tho because of brakes)....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Nova%20LET%20Build/0712065.jpg

Also, speak to lee303 about steering limiters, sure he's fitted some in the past.

tom reid
31-05-09, 07:11 AM
Easy fix is to disconnect the cooler pipes, lockstops on the rack will help but may not be enough to stop contact, custom pipes would let you alter the pipe run to the inside of the bay,wide track is another option that would work, I'd cut a channel in the chassis leg for the pipe run, problem solved.
I've known for ages you were clueless lol

Ernie
31-05-09, 07:45 AM
This is how they were on my old shell and they are the same pipes on my new one and run the same way.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/22102007339.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/22102007338.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/22102007337.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/22102007336.jpg
And i run 14" and 15" wheels.

Adam
31-05-09, 12:09 PM
My pipes run similar to Ernie's, but get pushed into the bottom pully with the steering on full lock??? :confused:

alistairolsen
31-05-09, 12:14 PM
I dont see how, can you see whats pushing them? It cant be the bit where ernies p clip is as thats int he centre of the wheel which hardly moves. Do yours come out at the front and perhaps th tyre is hitting them in the front of the arch and in turn moving the middle bit into the pulley?

Adam
31-05-09, 12:24 PM
Yeah, the tyre hits them and jams them solid against the bottom pully....

Graeme
31-05-09, 12:29 PM
Mine are run the same as Ernies, they are close to the bottom pulley but don't come in contact with the wheel

Adam
31-05-09, 12:33 PM
I'll go have a look in a sec.

Ernie
31-05-09, 02:58 PM
Hammer......

scott.parker
31-05-09, 03:04 PM
Mine too are in a very very close position to the pulley, but i don't think it touches, must go check! lol

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/32/dscf0416small.jpg

Hope you get it all sorted mate, looks like your in the same boat as me, not leaving much time to run/shake the car down before PV!

Scott

Rich
31-05-09, 03:12 PM
Looks like its going to hit the tie bar when your cars sat on the floor scott, adam have you got a pic from thwe wheel arch where yours rub and what tyre size?

Mine hit the gearbox quite bad, sorted my tracking and its fine now

scott.parker
31-05-09, 03:19 PM
Looks like its going to hit the tie bar when your cars sat on the floor scott, adam have you got a pic from thwe wheel arch where yours rub and what tyre size?

Mine hit the gearbox quite bad, sorted my tracking and its fine now

Few......:)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9762/dscf1006small.jpg

All's good there fine, and MR M.O.T man said nowt about it..

Scott

Rich
31-05-09, 03:22 PM
must have been the angle on the pic, mine sit higher up closer to the bottom pully and rubs the tiebar slightly. Probably due to my crap suspension lol

Adam
31-05-09, 05:06 PM
Scott, i cant do that with mine because im running the shorter pipe setup, so the pipes simply aint longer enough to route them that low.
Ive now managed to get it to clear on both sides, with literally 2mil clearance on each side.... A lot of f**king about with the tracking, fitting 3mil spacers, and bending the cooler pipes closer to the bottom pully.
Everything clears, but the cooler pipes are a mil or two off the pully lol
Hopefully they wont catch.
At least the wheels seem to clear now.....

So i should be good for mot.
The tracking is now way out.....Towing out by miles, but that don't matter for mot, hoping i can get it booked in somewhere before the weekend.....

Pics on the way....

Adam
31-05-09, 05:20 PM
This is where ive settled with: Very very close to the bottom pully...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1456.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1457.jpg

Fitted dealersport mudflaps, and new red stripe on the bumpers/side trims.
Also, new plates.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1461.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1462.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/DSCN1459.jpg

Will see if i can retest it tomorrow after work.

scott.parker
31-05-09, 07:25 PM
Adam, what if you got a bit of flat alloy then put to P clips round each pipe and attached them to the inner arch lip? would stop them going back into the pully, keep them level with inner lip so as not to touch the wheel either??

Scott

craig green
31-05-09, 07:55 PM
Looks nice Adam. new plates are an improvement IMO.

John
31-05-09, 08:09 PM
Red striping looks good, not too sure on the mudflaps though.

Benn
31-05-09, 08:16 PM
Like the red strip, not a fan on the flaps..*snigger*

Is that a std sandwitch plate? Doesnt look like what i've seen before..

The Simps
31-05-09, 08:23 PM
Really looking cool that front end. Got a soft spot for that colour now.

Adam
01-06-09, 07:08 AM
Scott, good plan mate, will look into it.

TBH im not a big fan of the mudflaps, they are "floppy" and dont sit well. Will probably end up binning them tbh.

Benn, the sandwich plate is a Astra GTE one, and uses flared pipe ends...
Most are thinner and use banjo type washer bolts.
The banjo type pipes sit closer to the pully at the sandwich plate end, so i think thats why most people have more clearance than me, as most xe's have that type of plate/cooler setup.... :)

Cheers John/Simps/Craig :)

Riggy
01-06-09, 02:10 PM
looks awsome ad , was goin to say p clip them to the inner arch but scotty boy beat me to it lol :thumb:

Adam
01-06-09, 09:42 PM
We now have a mot :cool:

Hopefully can get the tracking sorted tomorrow because its terrible atm. Doesnt handle at all and understeers at about 15mph.... lol

Need tax tomorrow too..

John
01-06-09, 09:44 PM
Good stuff ad!

Joe Richardson
01-06-09, 10:08 PM
looks very nice Adam:thumb:

Steve
01-06-09, 10:46 PM
Nice one on the mot, just tax'd the micra today, its gone up again! lol

The Simps
01-06-09, 11:08 PM
Result!!

Adam
02-06-09, 10:20 PM
Taxed today for 6month. :cool:

Tracking adjusted to 1mil tow out, was 7&8 out lol. Spot on now, handles nicely.
Torque steer is a bit of an issue though!! If booting it in 2nd/3rd.

Also refurbed/repainted the cesaros, a quick job but they look ok.

Going change the oil/filter on Sat before PV. Will be doing a few miles at the weekend, PV,and then down to Portsmouth for a week.... Might need to see if i can wack a headunit and some speakers in for the 300mile drive to Portsmouth (if it dont destroy itself down the 1/4mile that is lol )

See you all at PV on Sat afternoon :)

Benn
02-06-09, 10:23 PM
Cool if you get bored i'm 5minsd from pompey.

Adam
02-06-09, 10:29 PM
Sweet mate, may will give you a txt when im down there! :)
Meeting a few mates down there, renting dads mate's caravan for a week.

May well drive down with you on the sunday after PV if your going PV????
As my mates are already down there this Friday (5th)

Benn
03-06-09, 08:31 AM
Yeah yea, please do. Will be there.

scott.parker
03-06-09, 10:12 AM
Taxed today for 6month. :cool:

Tracking adjusted to 1mil tow out, was 7&8 out lol. Spot on now, handles nicely.
Torque steer is a bit of an issue though!! If booting it in 2nd/3rd.

Also refurbed/repainted the cesaros, a quick job but they look ok.

Going change the oil/filter on Sat before PV. Will be doing a few miles at the weekend, PV,and then down to Portsmouth for a week.... Might need to see if i can wack a headunit and some speakers in for the 300mile drive to Portsmouth (if it dont destroy itself down the 1/4mile that is lol )

See you all at PV on Sat afternoon :)

Good lad!

Yeah mines out by 3mm on either side, think it's due to solid mounts not quite in the right place,and maybe some adjustment in the camber etc.

And yeah i forgot what torque steer was like! lol

MK999
03-06-09, 07:17 PM
Might need to see if i can wack a headunit and some speakers in for the 300mile drive to Portsmouth (if it dont destroy itself down the 1/4mile that is lol )

MP3 player/earphones :thumb: or 1 earphone if you're safety conscious lol

Adam
03-06-09, 08:51 PM
Yeah, when booting it through 2nd and 3rd, you have to actually hold the wheel straight... lol

Finished the other 2 cesaro's today, they look well imo ;)

Also got the car jacked up and checked the garage noob had tightened all the track locknuts etc. He had, which is good. BUT i then noticed that because hes adjusted the tracking back to near parralel, both tyres again rub the box/oil cooler pipes :mad: :mad:
Im beginning to think maybe the rack i have is off a corsa or something? And is giving too much lock, because something is definently not right!!!!
Im not arsed about the box side, but im going to have to keep a very close eye on the cooler pipes, and try avoiding putting it on 100% full lock.
Maybe the 195/50 profile tyres arent helping.

AlexW
03-06-09, 08:55 PM
It could be due to being low that the rack arms are too far out due to being straight, rather than pointing down slighty?

Then again i could be talking out my ****.

Get a mesurment from one track rod to the other, its not Toooo hard, and il mesure my spare rack.

EDIT: Nearly 200 pages :eek:

Adam
03-06-09, 09:03 PM
Not sure mate, but it aint really low. Ive seen lower........

At home now so wont be able do anything on the car till tomorrow night

craig green
03-06-09, 09:15 PM
Yeah, when booting it through 2nd and 3rd, you have to actually hold the wheel straight... lol

That's the norm lol

Benn
03-06-09, 09:17 PM
Dude, wheel rubbing on the box is normal. And same on the other side...

Adam
03-06-09, 09:18 PM
Really? So every xe nova fails mot on that?????....

Will just be careful with the oil cooler pipes :)

Benn
03-06-09, 09:33 PM
If the tester notices it yeah. My wheels touched the f10 with the had a 1.4 still...

And its another reason oil coolers stuck dick.

Adam
04-06-09, 10:15 PM
Just changed the oil for some decent 10/40.
Pretty much ready for pv now.

Really liking how the car looks now, quite stealthy, but old skool and cool :cool:

Got an issue though, 5th gear!!! Its sometimes there and sometimes isnt, went for 5th earlier on and hit 3rd! Luckily clutched it before the revs went off the clock!!!!! Going see if i can have a mess with the linkage, hopefully actual 5th gear aint dodgy, because the box does occasionally sound a bit whiney!!!

Hope to get to pv on Sat afternoon :)
And get straight on the 1/4 (and yes ive just joined the AA lol )

General Baxter
04-06-09, 10:24 PM
(and yes ive just joined the AA lol )

Thank you for buying AA Breakdown Cover

lol me too

Adam
04-06-09, 10:26 PM
pmsl lol lol

Ive added the membership number and phone number to my phone contacts lol lol

Oh and btw Baxter, im using your car again as a storage place for all the stuff out of mine for 1/4mile :p lol

General Baxter
04-06-09, 10:29 PM
erm NO lol

Adam
04-06-09, 10:31 PM
You have no say in it, and have a saloon..... :p
I may have a suitcase too.... lol

General Baxter
04-06-09, 10:32 PM
You have no say in it, and have a saloon..... :p
I may have a suitcase too.... lol

you can lob it all in my tent on sat tho lol

Adam
04-06-09, 10:41 PM
Sod that, i want it to still be there when i return! lol

General Baxter
04-06-09, 10:46 PM
Sod that, i want it to still be there when i return! lol

its padlocked, alltho its a tent lol

Mazz
04-06-09, 10:48 PM
get a room you 2 ;)

AlexW
04-06-09, 10:50 PM
Mazz i was thinking the same.

Any gen on climbing a fence to get into pod? lol

I agree with the mean look, makes me want a mk1 again :(

General Baxter
04-06-09, 10:52 PM
get a room you 2 ;)

well its the only convo iv had with him this year that hes not told me to **** off on lol

Rich
04-06-09, 11:02 PM
lol at the aa cover, im a member after my journey home from the castle combe action day.

My car broke down tonight, so pvs aint gonna happen lol

General Baxter
04-06-09, 11:05 PM
lol at the aa cover, im a member after my journey home from the castle combe action day.

My car broke down tonight, so pvs aint gonna happen lol

get it 'recovered' to the pod then lol

Rich
04-06-09, 11:14 PM
Recovered to a garage for 2k trade in more like it lol

Benn
05-06-09, 09:50 AM
you can lob it all in my tent on sat tho lol

I can see it now, he'll be in there sniffing ya under crackers.

General Baxter
05-06-09, 09:52 AM
I can see it now, he'll be in there sniffing ya under crackers.

nasty, he can sniff what ever he wants, aslong as i dontsee him, his lettle sick fetish its his problem lol

Benn
05-06-09, 09:54 AM
haha i ment you...

General Baxter
05-06-09, 09:56 AM
:(

Benn
05-06-09, 01:37 PM
lol love you really.

Adam
05-06-09, 06:02 PM
Baxter, you fail at being funny

Benn
09-06-09, 10:32 PM
So guess who turned up at my house to day... Yes you guessed it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7874.jpg

With a broken Gear linkage. He make it most the way down the M1 before the gearlinkage broke and he could only get 3rd and 4th..

Lucky he wasnt staying from where i live so i told him to come over and we'd get it sorted..

While he striped the pinch bolt bit of the linkage..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7876.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7879.jpg

I found some nice Stainless lovely to do the repair job..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7875.jpg

After a few trys to set the linkage by him self, then finding he had not reverse.. I gave a quick hand to just hold the stick now he has all 5gears and they feel better.

Ernie
09-06-09, 10:38 PM
setting up the gears aint rocket science lol.

Benn
09-06-09, 10:38 PM
No, but doing it by your self aint easy... The gear stick tends to wander off..

Southie
09-06-09, 10:39 PM
Benn that's so cruel lol using a nice polished bolt like that.

Ernie
09-06-09, 10:40 PM
mole grips FTW.

Benn
09-06-09, 10:42 PM
Benn that's so cruel lol using a nice polished bolt like that.

Had to put my touch on the car...lol

mole grips FTW.

Or a mate to hold it in place, makes it alot easier as they can adjust if needed..
;)

alistairolsen
10-06-09, 05:59 PM
I used to bungee the stick to the passenger door handle :P

Has Ad had a hair cut?

:O

General Baxter
10-06-09, 06:03 PM
i seem to recall, he had NO problems with a small block lol

Ste L
10-06-09, 06:34 PM
I used to bungee the stick to the passenger door handle :P

Has Ad had a hair cut?

:O

he had it cut short aaaaggees ago :eek:

alistairolsen
10-06-09, 07:09 PM
not seen him since pv last year iirc

Benn
10-06-09, 07:25 PM
Tbh i know it had been said but i didnt remember he had had his hair cut either.. Looked so different.

And christ, he accent has got worse i'm sure.. When he turned up i couldnt under stand him...lol

scott.parker
10-06-09, 07:28 PM
lol funny you say that, i have met people from stoke before, but he has a strange accent, there was a few times at pv i said, sorry what?

Benn
10-06-09, 07:28 PM
Now i thought that, i've talked to peeps from mank before and they've had a bit of accent but nothing like his...