Adam
08-06-07, 10:08 PM
Having a fcuking nightmare fitting this 16v :mad::mad: :(

Mike.
08-06-07, 10:09 PM
lol thats not surprising ad, just think about when its actually in :thumb:

Adam
08-06-07, 10:24 PM
Its just silly little things people forget to mention when fitting a 16v, like the inlet tract pipe jamming solid against the brake MC, having to move some of the loom trunking as that jams against the brake pipes, coolant pipes being awkward and in the wrong position, the inlet pipe forcing the clutch cable to sit at a weird angle(the clutch pedal doesn't move smooth) etc lol
Must of took 5 goes with the crane to lift the engine in the right place(had to lean it slightly to clear the steering rack and brake servo)

Ive yet to do the fuel pump and wiring,LOL.

On a good note, oh nothing happened today that was good :( LMAO lol

Adam
08-06-07, 10:30 PM
Actually I lied, something good did happen :)
Shes in
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/P10134320007Medium.jpg
Looks rather sweet too in a nova bay :)

Mike
08-06-07, 10:33 PM
hey that looks pretty sweet sitting in there Ad, lovly clean engine bay too!

Adam
08-06-07, 10:36 PM
Thats because i cracked the spray cans out lol

Mike
08-06-07, 10:36 PM
Thats because i cracked the spray cans out lol

Top bombing that! How many you use???

coochiSR
08-06-07, 10:39 PM
Looking good Ad, not long now :D

Adam
08-06-07, 10:43 PM
Top bombing that! How many you use???
In true pikey style, i made one last,Lol.

Cheers Cooch.

Wont be running for a bit yet, after todays efforts ive used about 2weeks supply of body energy, might sleep for a few days now lol

Mike
08-06-07, 10:43 PM
In true pikey style, i made one last,Lol.

Cheers Cooch.

Wont be running for a bit yet, after todays efforts ive used about 2weeks supply of body energy, might sleep for a few days now lol

LMFAO! Definetly not Halfruads cans then lol lol lol lol

Heres what happend when i done my old SR, spot the new paint lol

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT0078.jpg

Adam
08-06-07, 10:47 PM
Lol.

I used a 500Ml can, none of that 300ml ?6 a go stuff from halfords.

twin40s
08-06-07, 11:21 PM
nice motor

Adam
10-06-07, 06:42 PM
PRetty much there.
Just got fuel pump, rad pipe, and ecu wiring to do.
Had to remove the strut brace to fit the loom better, behind the turret so it reaches the bulkhead. Mine leave it off, or see if i can fit it backwards.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Engine1.jpg

It turns over :D:D

Iain
10-06-07, 07:03 PM
That bay looks rather nice. Love the coolant tank/washer bottles.

Adam
10-06-07, 07:05 PM
Ive left a little masking tape window on the back of the coolant tank to see the level :D

Driver
10-06-07, 08:04 PM
loving the headertank and washer bottle, are they just sprayed black ?

looking good pal ger it finished

Adam
10-06-07, 09:12 PM
Yes mate, just satin black.
Cant see the levels in them, but fcuk that :) Lol

Driver
11-06-07, 07:54 AM
lmao form over function in that department

allthough the masking tape idea is a good one

Adam
11-06-07, 08:58 PM
Wirings all done, was piss easy.
ECU light comes on with ignition and doesn't flash(which means the immobiliser signal is being received)

Just need a gsi rad hose now, hopefully off Andy tomorrow night. :)

John
11-06-07, 10:04 PM
Looking good ad, how come you've put a c16 inlet on? try using the astra f x16xel inlet pipe, cleared everything fine in mine.

Ste L
11-06-07, 10:15 PM
very nice, engine bay looks mint, cant be twin cam engines :thumb:

be it big block or small block, just look better than 8v's for some reason

bieransri
11-06-07, 10:18 PM
ad, was the wiring simple as in colour to colour. any other major things like linkages or coolant pipes being awkward?

Adam
11-06-07, 10:33 PM
Looking good ad, how come you've put a c16 inlet on? try using the astra f x16xel inlet pipe, cleared everything fine in mine. Its not mate, its the alloy one sprayed, lol
Yea I need a xel pipe, the xe one is some gay l-shape.
Cheers Ste.

Gear linkage is fine, was rubbing the loom at first, but a cable tie sorted that. Pipes are all fine and fit, use gte/gsi bottom hose, and nova expansion tank hoses, rest Corsa.
Wiring was colour to colour as i made use of the old spi ecu wires for the Perm live, Ign live and speed signal feeds.(Ran wires behind dash from new ecu to old), and the other wires are just rev counter etc which i ran straight to the clocks.
I made up a small loom that the 16v ecu plugs into(so the loom is unpluggable if i need change it for some reason)

kevster
11-06-07, 10:55 PM
omg thats the nuts mate saw the car on the stand at pv and just could stop looking at her , wheels are the nuts !!!!! cant with to see more of the car !!

Adam
11-06-07, 11:40 PM
:)

Adam
12-06-07, 09:39 PM
Its facking Alive! lol
Started first turn of the key :)
Huge thanks to Andy Bishop for donating a gsi rad/hose/fan :)

Only thing left is the exhaust, need make it fit somehow :(

Iain
12-06-07, 09:48 PM
Video please. :eek:

Adam
12-06-07, 09:53 PM
Will do one tomorrow :)
Cant start it up now with just a downpipe, police will be here lol

kevster
12-06-07, 11:46 PM
Will do one tomorrow :)
Cant start it up now with just a downpipe, police will be here lol
:thumb: :thumb: sweet mate i would like to seee it in the flesh when its done:thumb:

macc nova
13-06-07, 02:35 PM
very nice work there matey

Adam
13-06-07, 05:21 PM
Cheers :)

Connected all the coolant system up today, and it turns out my "new" rad from a migweb user, is f**ked and leaks. :roll:

So i fitted the one i got last night(which happens to be in better condition than the one i bought, lol), and that seems leak free.

Still need sort exhaust tho before i even dare to drive it :( And its currently pissing down :(

andybishop
13-06-07, 09:40 PM
Glad the rad you had off me was ok, bit of a unknown that one as its been stashed under the work bench for quite a while.

Cars looking mint mate, be good to see it when it's done, as i said we'll have to sort a meet soon!! Need to get out and use my Nova when it's built!!

Adam
13-06-07, 11:00 PM
Cheers Andy, yeah some meets over summer will be cool :)

Adam
14-06-07, 05:41 PM
Got cracking trying to sort some form of exhaust system today, got the grinder on a old spi downpipe to make a temporary join between system and downpipe to get me to a garage.
You can see the problem, a few inch gap between the system and downpipe.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Exhaust.jpg

Drove the car, drives great :), even with the exhaust blowing terribly,Lol.
A big improvement on my old carbs, runs well/idles from cold and not a flat spot in sight.

Anyways, i drove it gently and went to a few local garages, all of them said they couldn't help, basically if its not a bolt on/bolt off jobbie they aren't interested :roll: So i ended up just getting it back home again, couldn't help but give it a little blast up the dual carriageway on the way home lol It pulls great.
Got home and found coolant sprayed all up the inner wing, I thought foook, the waterpumps leaking and its a cambelt off job. Started taking cambelt covers etc off, when i noticed it was just dripping from the thermstat cover, onto the alternator pully(hence it spraying everywhere) So luckily that was an easy fix :D

So im a little stuck as to what to do :( I guess i could grind the flanges off both the system and downpipe, and clamp a flexi pipe on, but thats the resale value of the system gone,Lol.

Mike
14-06-07, 05:44 PM
weld that off cut section to the rest of the system ;)

And if you have a few mini meets, i may tag along as its not far for me lol

coochiSR
14-06-07, 05:46 PM
Coolies Ad! Great news, but is it quicker then the 1.4? Obviously better on fuel ;) Good luck with zorst!

Adam
14-06-07, 05:46 PM
weld that off cut section to the rest of the system ;)

And if you have a few mini meets, i may tag along as its not far for me lol
I have no welder... Lol Which is why its just pressed up against the downpipe atm :(

Yeah Andy mentioned trying to sort a few meets soon, when his nova is finished etc. Should be good :)

Adam
14-06-07, 05:49 PM
Coolies Ad! Great news, but is it quicker then the 1.4? Obviously better on fuel ;) Good luck with zorst! From how far i drove, yeah it does seem better, ive yet to go above about 4k yet tho(which is when these engines seem to come alive apparently) lol

Thats expected tho, its a bigger engine with perfect fueling and ignition, and has similar power as std to a tuned 1400. And my 1400 engine was never properly setup.The 16v should be slightly over std power, has a set of kent cams in, and the ashley system/decat :) So i'd expect it will feel better/quicker.

Mike
14-06-07, 05:51 PM
Ive got a mini MiG Ad, can lend it if you like?

coochiSR
14-06-07, 05:52 PM
Ooooooo might be an interestiung upgrade when i get the new shell then!

Adam
14-06-07, 06:00 PM
Ive got a mini MiG Ad, can lend it if you like?
Id have a problem collecting it tho? Dont fancy the m6 with no exhaust,Lol.

I might give hss a ring and see how much a day hire on a migwelder is.

Mike
14-06-07, 06:01 PM
Id have a problem collecting it tho? Dont fancy the m6 with no exhaust,Lol.

I might give hss a ring and see how much a day hire on a migwelder is.

ah true lol

Adam
14-06-07, 06:04 PM
Lol

kevster
14-06-07, 06:42 PM
shame you so far away could of popped it in to my work , would of done a s/s for ya :)

coochiSR
14-06-07, 06:46 PM
Was it fairly easy to do Ad? same mounts etc? Guessing it would be alot harder with a SR with wiring?

Adam
14-06-07, 06:49 PM
Looking at it now, yeah it was quite easy. Same mounts, shafts etc etc.

The wiring would be pretty much the same with a sr.
Just need run a fuel pump wire, and perm live, ign live from ign barrel/fusebox.

coochiSR
14-06-07, 06:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, Might be getting a shell soon, so me thinks it'll be a 1.6 16v :D With a few goodies :). Nice conversion really, Good job fella, you can help me :p!

Adam
19-06-07, 07:10 PM
Exhaust is now sorted thanks to some flexi.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/ExhaustFlexi.jpg
Its made the system sit v.close to the gear stick casing in the transmission tunnel tho, and i think it may annoyingly rattle off it when I do a left turn.

If it does, im off to powerflow and getting a proper piece made, as i cant be fcuked keep arsing about with bits of pipes, and clamps lol

Changed the thermostat. Started the engine, and it sounds sweet, no rattles atm. The alternator belt needs tightening slightly, but meh. But fook me, the Ashley system is mega loud with a 16v engine,Lol. Hopefully can have a first proper drive tonight/tomorrow :) Sorted my insurance too, ?465, tpft, all mods declared(1.6 16v, wheels etc etc) Not bad i thought.

Ste L
19-06-07, 10:35 PM
fitted that bodged exhaust joint yet?

maccas
19-06-07, 10:37 PM
just out of interest if you don't mind me asking which insurance company is that with? sounds a very good quote to me, i will be looking to get insured with a similar conversion sometime soon so any advice on the insurance side of things would be much appreciated! also how many years no claims have you got? many thanks

maccas

Adam
19-06-07, 11:15 PM
fitted that bodged exhaust joint yet?
Which one mate? the piece of pipe i made? I tried it but it blowed.
The new bit seems to seal well and not blow, ill see what rattles i have tomorrow lol
Maccas-HIC mate, aged 20, 3yrs ncb.

Ste L
19-06-07, 11:27 PM
the bit with flexi in, that you posted lol...

Adam
19-06-07, 11:32 PM
Whats bodged about that? lol Flexi pipes fitted to some cars as std.... Lol
Yeah its fitted.

Ste L
19-06-07, 11:33 PM
ok, it looks bodged :p

Adam
19-06-07, 11:36 PM
Be reet lol
Its clamped solidly just like the entire exhaust system :p

Ste L
19-06-07, 11:37 PM
so, whats next for it?

manzel inlet?

Adam
19-06-07, 11:43 PM
Not sure. I reckon you could fit bike tb's for the cost of a mantzel/dbilas.
But a turbo conversion would be ace, and much better than tb's imo.

Ste L
19-06-07, 11:46 PM
do it...

get that one i posted up on cs bought and fitted :cool: lol

Adam
19-06-07, 11:59 PM
I emailed him, and the price is ?2775 for the kit.
Plus management/mapping.

Hmmm, better start saving.

Well worth it tho, LOL.

Ste L
20-06-07, 12:08 AM
not a bad price really, would be cool as feck, and bloody fast

alan b
20-06-07, 01:09 AM
so whats she like to move?????

Adam
20-06-07, 01:21 AM
Throttle response is ****e.
But it pulls well, really well.

Driver
20-06-07, 07:22 AM
im having same engine in a few week so whats it liek to drive ?? some performance figures ??

cheers

alan b
20-06-07, 12:16 PM
are you a bit disapointed with it? guy over here just got his one running on bike throttle bodies and he is very very happy with it!

Adam
20-06-07, 03:30 PM
Well, had first proper drive today, and i can honestly say that these engines fly :thumb:
I homemade exhaust taps on the car when taking a hard right turn, so that needs sorting.

They sound so awesome at about 5000rpm, and pull well even low down( i have swapped the standard flywheel tho, which will help).
I'd guess mine to be about 115hp, Ashley exhaust, kent cams, de-cat.
And its quicker than my t40d 1400 by a mile.

It drives very well throughout the revs. As already said tho, it lacks throttle response(due to the 10ft inlet,Lol) I realise why some many people stick a set of throttle bodies on lol

Think i shall look at changing the inlet system, either bike tb's, or "powerbox"

Overall, i'd recommend it to anyone :D :thumb:

Adam
14-07-07, 03:54 PM
Quick update, exhaust is now sorted, thanks to a C16XE downpipe which bolts RIGHT on. :D

Strut brace has been sprayed black to match engine "theme"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/P1010006-1.jpg

But have another problem, fuel tank has developed a bad leak, ive sorted it slightly with a bit of underseal(the tanks gone porous and is just leaking fuel straight through the metal) No doubt its the original tank,and looking a bit past it lol
But its still not really safe to drive with
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/P1010011-1.jpg

So i need a new tank :(

Ash
14-07-07, 05:46 PM
that bay looks mint! :thumb:

Think beaver do new tanks btw, 60 notes iirc

Adam
14-07-07, 06:15 PM

Cheapest ive seen new is ?53.
Might have to be new, it dont look like anyones breaking a spi atm,Lol.

O, next mod is a catch tank, as my breather pipe keeps spitting oil vapour all over the inner wing,Lol.

Planning on leaving the engine standard for a while tbh, until i get bored.

shy witness
14-07-07, 06:22 PM
i've and spi tank....but im in northern ireland which is no use to anyone lol

or in fact..............if your using an spi tank on that..............why cant i use it on a 2.0 8 valve?????i was told it was unsuitable

i have a gte tank and external pump though on my old 1 anyway....so ive all areas covered (i hope lol)

Adam
14-07-07, 06:23 PM
You can use it on a 2L 8v, its the best method to use imo.

As the pump stays sealed and clean, doesn't get covered in crap sitting under the car etc.

gazz
14-07-07, 06:26 PM
looks tidy that bud...

good job jobed!!!!:thumb:

Adam
14-07-07, 08:58 PM

Riggy
14-07-07, 09:07 PM
awsome ad :thumb:

Ste L
14-07-07, 09:25 PM
i've and spi tank....but im in northern ireland which is no use to anyone lol

or in fact..............if your using an spi tank on that..............why cant i use it on a 2.0 8 valve?????i was told it was unsuitable

i have a gte tank and external pump though on my old 1 anyway....so ive all areas covered (i hope lol)

You can use it on a 2L 8v, its the best method to use imo.

As the pump stays sealed and clean, doesn't get covered in crap sitting under the car etc.

this is true, i used one on my old 2.0 16v nova, just need to use an mpi pump inside the tank instead of the spi one :thumb:

Adam
14-07-07, 10:29 PM
Cheers Riggy

Yeah as ste said, just swap the pump.

shy witness
14-07-07, 10:57 PM
so techniaclly then.............i have an outside mounted fuel pump(which as someone says....gets attacked by the elements...and rusts like fook)

but this can b inserted into the spi tank with no problems.and to be honest....would b a better job as far as im concerned as the old external pump bracket and all arround it is badly corroded....and would probably have been needing changed anyway 2 make a decent job of it

Ste L
14-07-07, 11:04 PM
no, you need a specific internal mpi pump, eg, corsa one's are all internal,

so the 16v models use the mpi internal pump

on my old tank, im sure it was a corsa c mpi pump, cant remember off the top of my head though

shy witness
14-07-07, 11:55 PM
rite.so i still need 2 loacte/burgal a different style pump from anotehr car

i dont suppose a cavalier internal pump is in anyway similar..........i ive still the whole car that the sri 8 valves coming out of

Adam
15-07-07, 12:31 AM
rite.so i still need 2 loacte/burgal a different style pump from anotehr car

i dont suppose a cavalier internal pump is in anyway similar..........i ive still the whole car that the sri 8 valves coming out of
Corsa has a different fitment.
You need a bolt in mpi pump, im not sure if cavs have internal pumps. Have a look under the rear seats.

Ernie
15-07-07, 08:39 AM
You've given me loads of idears for my little white 1 thanks and good luck with sorting the tank out.

SKoob
15-07-07, 10:43 AM
looking good there, i'm so tempted to bite the bullet and get me a 1.6 16v with a power box, bound to be some astra 1.6 16v going cheap to have the engine out of :cool:

Ste L
15-07-07, 11:12 AM
Corsa has a different fitment.
You need a bolt in mpi pump, im not sure if cavs have internal pumps. Have a look under the rear seats.

CAV SRi's are bolt-in one's, but i think other cavs are external like the gsi etc

one from my cav sri
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/5034/S8000173.JPG

shy witness
15-07-07, 11:31 AM
mines and internal pump...............like that in the picture as far as i know

will the pump off that do the for my spi tank.......

im liking the idea of this more and more............means i can ditch the whole external set up.....as its a bloody rust catcher to be honest

Iain
15-07-07, 11:43 AM
I use the same setup on my 1.6 8v: SPI tank and Astra mk3 MPI internal pump. Works a treat.

Ad looking good, I agree the black strut brace suits the engine bay perfectly. Might have to start stealing some of your ideas. lol

Ste L
15-07-07, 11:46 AM
mines and internal pump...............like that in the picture as far as i know

will the pump off that do the for my spi tank.......

im liking the idea of this more and more............means i can ditch the whole external set up.....as its a bloody rust catcher to be honest

as long as its an mpi pump and not an spi yes....

draper
15-07-07, 11:50 AM
looks good ad, the black and white theme works really well

Adam
15-07-07, 12:01 PM
Cheers lads. :)

peester
15-07-07, 12:12 PM
yes, well executed transplant.. nice one. Have to check it out sometime.

tom_beverley
15-07-07, 04:01 PM
Looking good mate, I am really liking white Nova's at the minute at yours looks top :thumb:

Great choice in engine aswell I really like the c16xe motor, and also fancy turbo'in it eventually aswell rather than going c20let but the ?3000 will take a while to save! Was that was of those M-Vaux ones?, not a bad price for what you get!

EdnovaScooby
15-07-07, 04:21 PM
I've got those rims and I love em!

asscona78
18-07-07, 10:36 AM
Nice looking Nova :thumb:
Makes me wondering if i should paint my bumbers also black/grey...They are white now.

Adam
18-07-07, 03:08 PM
Cheers for the comments.

I always prefer grey/black bumpers on a white car. :)

Adam
25-07-07, 02:39 PM
Got fed up waiting for someone to break a spi, for its fuel tank.
So just ordered a new one, ?53 delivered :)
Another Big up to BuyPartsBy, delivered within 2 days of ordering.

Top service.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/tank1.jpg

Ste L
25-07-07, 03:02 PM
get it painted up black :D

Adam
25-07-07, 03:17 PM
Nahhhhhooo

Silver.
Or i might just laquer the bare metal.

Ste L
25-07-07, 03:28 PM
black hides the dirt, and it will get dirty under the car, so silver will look black soon enough lol

craig green
25-07-07, 05:04 PM
Depends if you wash under the car.....

The laquer will discolour anyway, so you wont retain that finish unless you leave it bare-metal & polish it.

I say Silver bottom half & black top half.

greg1.4
25-07-07, 05:23 PM
just read this from page 1! really good! car looks minted..

Greg

Adam
26-07-07, 12:54 AM

I'll give the tank a quick wash out with petrol, and get it fitted asap.

nathan.
11-08-07, 09:42 AM
Awesome adam. Didn't realise you'd done so much top work on it. Didn't even know you had carbs for a while or even had a baby valver fitted. LOL
I need to get on here a bit more often i think.

Well done mate it looks brill. :thumb:

SRlew
11-08-07, 12:18 PM
ad i always liked your car. looks funking mad now! good to see you got your wheels on too! and the engine! good work mate!

Adam
11-08-07, 02:52 PM
Awesome adam. Didn't realise you'd done so much top work on it. Didn't even know you had carbs for a while or even had a baby valver fitted. LOL
I need to get on here a bit more often i think.

Well done mate it looks brill. :thumb:
Lol, aye i tend to change engine bits every few weeks lol

Cheers for the comments Nath and Lew :thumb:

Just gave the car a quick clean, and checked oil etc for tomorrows RR :cool:

nathan.
11-08-07, 07:19 PM
Wheres the rr at mate?

draper
11-08-07, 07:39 PM
Lol, aye i tend to change engine bits every few weeks lol

because it doesnt work properly :p

peester
11-08-07, 07:45 PM
Another Big up to BuyPartsBy,

noted...

good stuff chap. I think it'll stay pretty clean the tank - a man of your calibre.. You might as well show off that its a new tank!
If you paint it ; ide say bodycolour.
Keep up the good work

Adam
11-08-07, 08:04 PM
Wheres the rr at mate?
JNC at Nottingham mate.:thumb:
Not far from you.

Draper-What doesn't work:confused: lol

Peester-Aye im hoping the tank stays new and shiny for some time,Lol.

Adam
30-08-07, 04:20 PM
Quick update.
As a few know, it went on JNC rollers on August 12th, and made 118bhp which i was very happy about, seems about bang on for the few mods the engine has.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/JNC%20RR-12th%20August%2007/12082007008-nova.jpg
Printout
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/160016vrrprintout-JNC-12_08_07-resi.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/160016vrrprintout-JNC-12_08_07-resi.jpg)
Vid
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/th_Mine-Short.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/?action=view&current=Mine-Short.flv)

And today i got some euro lightage, ignore all the white exhaust paste all over the floor, thats an ongoing exhaust issue im trying solve lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/euro1.jpg

Thats all for now, hoping be at Pod on September 22nd.
And 2weeks after that my Mot's due, hopefully it'll be fine again(its gone through first time for the last 3years, so im due a bad mot one year lol)

SRimon
30-08-07, 04:46 PM
It'll fly through ad ;)

Rich
30-08-07, 06:05 PM
Looks much better with the euro light! Ill look out for you on the strip 22nd :thumb:

I will probly be there if i dont break my car before :) AA cover sorted for the journey home!

Adam
30-08-07, 06:16 PM
It'll fly through ad ;)
Lol, it better do.

Rich-Cheers mate, i'll see you at pod then, if your run of bad engine luck doesn't continue :p lol

Adam
13-09-07, 04:16 PM
Quick update:
Made a smooth grab handle for the boot, took quite a while as i had to sand the texture finish on the handle smooth. Then mesh,fibreglass,filler,primer,paint :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Nova%20WIP%20pics/p9070001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Nova%20WIP%20pics/P9070004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Nova%20WIP%20pics/P9100003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Nova%20WIP%20pics/P9110003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Nova%20WIP%20pics/P9130002.jpg

Came out rather well me thinks, needs flatting and polishing up :)
Its also better for security, as my cars now totally lockless. Just hope the alarm dont fail lol

Also got another bonnet off a 40k minter i found in the scrapyard :eek:
My old bonnet had a big dent in, so the new ones much better. Only bad point being it has the standard mk2 badge on it, and a scratch on the front edge that i never noticed until i polished it, never mind.

Mike.
13-09-07, 04:21 PM
looks like a good effort that ad :thumb:

Ste L
13-09-07, 05:33 PM
nice, i've got a smooth boot handle i made ages ago sat in my garage, never got around to fitting it on my old valver

kevster
13-09-07, 05:57 PM
love this nova !!! keep it up

Adam
13-09-07, 06:43 PM
Cheers.
The handle aint up to bodyshop standard, be it'll do for me lol

Time to get the car stripped bare next week, ready for pod on 22nd lol

KPautomotive
13-09-07, 07:31 PM
read from start to finish matey.

Very good :)

Adam
13-09-07, 07:41 PM
Cheers Rob

Benn
13-09-07, 11:14 PM
You only did it cause i told you how....lol

Adam
13-09-07, 11:27 PM
:p lol

Nick J
14-09-07, 05:55 PM
looking good fella!

Adam
14-09-07, 07:32 PM

vallanc3
18-09-07, 01:11 AM
read all thw way thorugh this thread.very good indeed tip top work

noticed you said about poor throtle responce and thought you mite be interested in something like this if it stays cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsa-nova-x14xe-x16xe-c16xe-mantzel-dbilas-power-box_W0QQitemZ170150405738QQihZ007QQcategoryZ72205Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Adam
20-09-07, 07:04 PM
Yep, thats the kind of thing i require, fook paying that tho.
Would rather put the cash towards tb's or nitrous or something.

Got the smoothed handle fitted :) Sorry about the ****e dark pic, fook knows what thats all about, think my camera dieing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Nova%20WIP%20pics/p9200001med.jpg

tom_beverley
20-09-07, 07:29 PM
Looking ace mate :)

Whats your plan for the engine then Ad?

peester
20-09-07, 07:35 PM
when, aproximately, are you thinking about getting t.b's??
New year ish???

Adam
20-09-07, 09:31 PM
Engine plans, not sure. Get it through mot first.
Depends if I cba spend out on the engine.
Options are tb's or turbo, im wanting do some trackdays next year, which N/A is more suited to imo.
Another option is leave it std, and hope it has enough power to make me happy on track.

Adam
24-09-07, 07:34 PM
Well, went pod,was a decent day out. Saw Rich and Oli, Oli doing his usual crazy times for a 1600 engine lol
Sat in queue
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/P9220002resize.jpg

And a pic on the strip, thanks to OP off mig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/IMG_0366resize.jpg

Best i managed was a 16.0 at 86.2 mph. Not too bad, i didn't have much interior, but i did have a lardy standard sr seat, and a spare wheel, may have got just into 15s with those gone.
I kind of regret going now, as i want more power lol, which means money to spend on current engine, or another engine swap :roll:
It may be going big block time soon lol

vaughanmc
24-09-07, 07:41 PM
She looks minted on the strip mate

I really want a grey GSi bumper for mine

Riggy
24-09-07, 07:42 PM
looking good as always ad lad , would have thought that the 16v 1.6 would have been quicker the 16 secs though , i did a 16.7 with my 8v full interior and sub&amp lol at pv last year lol

ANDYRACER
24-09-07, 07:49 PM
It may be going big block time soon lol

Well your just gay then! :thumb:

Adam
24-09-07, 07:49 PM
looking good as always ad lad , would have thought that the 16v 1.6 would have been quicker the 16 secs though , i did a 16.7 with my 8v full interior and sub&amp lol at pv last year lol I dont think i could of done any quicker without loosing more weight tbh, as i got a decent launch on the 16 run, and every gear change was good.
Altho im no pod expert, my quickest run was my 3rd ever go,Lol.

16 is about bang on, according to the calculator on letstorquebhp.com :thumb:

It shows how far out nova speedos are, speedo was nearly at 100, pod slip-terminal speed, 86 lol

Riggy
24-09-07, 07:53 PM
lol :thumb:

nova speedo's rock

Adam
24-09-07, 07:54 PM
So when people think there timing a 0-60 run, your actualling doing about 50 max lol

Adam
23-10-07, 08:08 PM
Quick update(actually quite a long update lol)-
Well, it failed mot, its the first time it aint passed first go in the last four years too :(

Just annoying things, and the tester was a bit strict imo. Failed it on brake union nuts rusty(not leaking), brake flexi slightly cracked,handbrake cable broke(he broke it during the test) and all the emissions tests(no cat fitted), even tho it doesn't need a cat. But he wont listen :roll:
So bought a complete new handbrake cable, and new cable guides, fitted those.
Ordered a set of Goodridge hoses from ebay, top service.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pa230010lines.jpg
Arrived today, so set about fitting them, got the rear beam pipe union nuts undone easily, so thought great :D, then both the ones on the chassis were badly corroded, so they've rounded off. So im pretty much fooked, nothing can do apart from replacing the solid line from the mc to the rear beam. Which is more money i need to spend, will also need a pipe cutter/flarer to fit it.

As for the emissions, i have no cat that will fit, without cutting my ashley system to pieces, and i aint doing that, so im slightly stuck.
Best option is have a re-test at another garage if they agree it doesn't need a cat. Tho they'd probably go and fail it on something else then instead lol

So basically, ive already spent well over ?100 on mot bits(up to yet), without the re-test fee. And the tax is due this month(another ?180 ish iirc)
Ive pretty much taken on the cba factor, and lost most/all interest completely in the car tbh.

It might be time to move on. :roll:

Ste L
23-10-07, 08:18 PM
get a corsa :p lol

bieransri
23-10-07, 08:47 PM
still got my number?

my old man is a tester, get the brake stuff done and give me a shout, can organise getting it booked in. he understands the cat issues too as he did both of mine that didnt need a cat

peester
23-10-07, 09:00 PM
youve still got to fix it chap - not gonna sell it as it is; a few steps shy of an mot..??
nows not the best time is it really either??
Get it sorted; hush your mouth.

What u wanting next then dude???

tom reid
23-10-07, 09:18 PM
If I can be of any help with the brake lines, pleas don't hesitate to ask.
Would hate to see you sell the car due to this pisshy little problem.

Adam
23-10-07, 10:08 PM
Keiran-Cheers mate, yeah still got your number. Shall let you know if i need another test.

Dave-Lol :D

Tom-Im going need some copper pipe(at least enough to run from the MC to both rear drum flexis), not sure how much that is, probably at least 15ft per line. And then need new unions, do you know the ID/OD of the copper pipe, and the thread/size of the unions? Have a feeling there imperial.

tom reid
23-10-07, 10:23 PM
I've got loads and loads of copper pipe, Oh, and some Goodridge braided, don't know what the ends are, but got loads of them as well, get it over on Sunday and we'll get you sorted.

Adam
24-10-07, 06:47 PM
I cant get over to you....... no car,Lol.

Started on the front flexis about an hour ago, both rounded off, so got slightly pi**ed off and got the bolt cutters out.
Hacked the f**cking lot off lol

Car is now waiting for new copper lines all round :) lol

coochiSR
24-10-07, 07:18 PM
Lol Ad, keep strong mate, if only you was closer!! :p

Good luck!

Adam
24-10-07, 07:41 PM
Lol

Writing down a list to take the local factors tomorrow, probably another 50quid to spent :roll:

craig green
25-10-07, 09:40 AM
Hope you get it sorted AD. Brake lines are quite frustrating tbh.

MOT tester sounds like the usual pillock!

Adam
25-10-07, 07:43 PM
Cheers Craig, it'll get done. I just dont know when lol

Right, got the new brake lines, and unions.
Just got to diy bend them and fit them.
Then new fluid and pressure bleed the system.

Hoping i should a braking improvement, going from 15year old lines and flexis, old fluid
to new lines, new fluid and braided flexis.

Adam
26-10-07, 07:03 PM
Right, got home today and cracked on with the exhaust.
Dug out my old spi system, cut the 3 bolt triangle flange off it, and welded on a old 2 bolt flange i had lying about.
Did a bloody good weld on it too, typically when the weld will never be seen i do a decent one lol

So my old spi cat/system and standard backbox now bolts right onto my 16v downpipe. So that now sorts my Cat mot emissions problem.

Just the brake lines to do :)

craig green
27-10-07, 01:27 PM
Hoping i should a braking improvement, going from 15year old lines and flexis, old fluid
to new lines, new fluid and braided flexis.

Looking on the bright side.... Silverlinings & all that. :thumb:

SKoob
27-10-07, 01:46 PM
MOTs are a pain lol, looking at the brake lines on my SR i'll probably end up doing the same as you and putting new copper ones on as the steel ones are starting to rust lol

macc nova
27-10-07, 01:46 PM
How ya doin with the lines ad?

nathan.
27-10-07, 02:26 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems Ad. I'm sure it'll be ok and glad you've not given up. We've all felt like that many of times.

Adam
27-10-07, 03:34 PM
How ya doin with the lines ad? Not well lol
Struggling with this cheap s**t flarer tool i bought lol
See thread in Mechanical.

Managed get the spi exhaust system on this morning, bolted straight on, not bad for me just cutting with a grinder and then welding a different flange on, by eye.
Started it up, and it sounds cool, even with a standard system and cat the idle sounds nice. I also sprayed the backbox tip matt black for the stealth look :Dlol

Now rain has stopped play :(
So im having a go at making the pipes for the front brakes, as there shape is easier make. :thumb:
Just the brake lines to do, and it should fly through mot then :)

macc nova
27-10-07, 04:54 PM
Rain nearly stopped play for me aswell, but i thought id try and be a diehard but just got piss wet through and cold lol

greg1.4
27-10-07, 04:55 PM
brake pipes are a nightmare especially doing it on your own.

i had the feeling my project was never going to get finished and lost interest in it big time.

but itl be worth it, keep up the good work and let us know how the mot goes..

Greg

Adam
28-10-07, 06:30 PM
Managed to get a line made up today lol
Its so much easier working with new shiny unions and lines :)
Line made and Goodridge hose fitted(sits a mile away from the driveshaft so not sure how people have problems with them rubbing the shaft)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/pa280001-23.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pa280004-232.jpg

The hose looks close to the strut in the pics, but i can assure you its not :)

On with the other pipes tomorrow.

peester
28-10-07, 06:36 PM
woooo shinneeyy..

Adam
28-10-07, 06:38 PM
For now lol

Adam
13-11-07, 04:15 PM
Time for an update(quite a long one)
Bought a decent Flaring tool, and all's i say is NEVER buy cheap ****e tools, and they end up costing 3 times as much as a decent one in the first place lol

So off came everybrake line again, binned the solid pipes(didn't want risk bending them again)
So bought another 50ft of brake pipe, did the flares with the new tool, got them all fitted on, and voila, No leaks. :cool:

At this point i was expecting a leak when i bled them/pressed the pedal(pressurised the system). Bled them through with Eezibleed kit(awesome tool), pressed pedal and it was rock hard :D

So booked mot for this morning, went to start car at 8am, battery completely fcuking dead(it was fine yesterday :confused:) lol
Got a push start off my dad and neighbour, and got it to the mot station. lol

Left it with them, and they rung me at 1pm, luckily i booked the whole day off work too. And its passed :D The 1.2i cat sorted the emissions, and the brakes etc are now all fine.
No advisories either.
Went straight to post office and taxed it for 6month. Quite an expensive day, but worth it.

So im back on the road again, nova's back alive :)

k0ax
14-11-07, 02:26 PM
really nice project. i like that

craig green
14-11-07, 03:44 PM
So im back on the road again, nova's back alive :)

Thats really good to hear Ad. I thought you were going to chuck in the towel at one point.

Whats the chances of hiring the flaring tool off you some time? I would Paypal a hiring/postage fee. Great way of getting back tool costs IMO.

Any pics of the brake lines to look at?

Adam
14-11-07, 05:42 PM
The tool only cost ?27 Craig, well worth it Imo. :)

What do you want pics of?
The lines under fitted under the car??? Because them being on a roll original you cant help but get slight "waves" in the lines on the long straight floor runs. Not that it bothers me tho. Maybe would if someone was doing a concourse restoration.

craig green
14-11-07, 09:31 PM
I was just asking for pics as I'm interested & figured seeing as it was a bit of an ordeal for you (in a good way) you'd post em up as progress.

Link me to the tool then? Or sell it me?

Adam
14-11-07, 11:51 PM
Heres the one i bought:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEALEY-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Kit_W0QQitemZ160124790411QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64816Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'll get some pics of the lines tomorrow, came out quite well tbh.

Adam
15-11-07, 06:36 PM
Few pics:
Cant really get to the main rear ones to get pics, and it was dark when i got home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pb150003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pb150005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/pa280001-23.jpg

Recently id been having problems with my ashley system too, kept blowing between the front/mid box join. That no amount of clamps or paste would stop.
This should now have sorted it lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pb150009.jpg
Just hope ive welded the pipes in the correct place else it wont line up lol

So the Ashley will be going back on at the weekend.

Iain
15-11-07, 06:50 PM
Recently id been having problems with my ashley system too, kept blowing between the front/mid box join. That no amount of clamps or paste would stop.

I appear to be having a similar problem, discovered earlier that mine's blowing in the same place. Come weld mine together. lol

Adam
15-11-07, 07:10 PM
Welding is the future
Clamps suck lol

Nick J
15-11-07, 08:13 PM
Glad to see she's up and running again fella, It would have been a real shame for you to give up on such a clean example! Nick.

Adam
16-11-07, 12:09 AM
Cheers Nick :)

Dug my gsi skirts out they loft, they'll be going hurricane grey and be fitted sometime soon :)

craig green
16-11-07, 11:48 AM
Good stuff, thanks for the link too.

Should look nice with skirts. Are your bumpers Hurricane Grey?

Adam
16-11-07, 06:18 PM
Aye, the skirts should make the side look a bit more interesting.

Yep there Hurricane grey, as are the door handles.

Adam
26-11-07, 10:06 PM
So much for not spending anything else on it :roll: lol

Just won some engine "goodies" off ebay :D
Im hoping i can have the lot fitted and running for ?400. Should be good and give nice gains.

Ste L
26-11-07, 10:24 PM
what engine "goodies"?

Ash
26-11-07, 10:25 PM
Hopefully thats an inlet of sorts, poss. ITB?

Glad your keeping on with it, very tidy car

Plug
26-11-07, 10:29 PM
V nice loving the white mk2

I want one fancy selling cheap lol

Ste L
26-11-07, 10:29 PM
i recon cam's & manzel type inlet..

cant see tb's for the price he said

Ash
26-11-07, 10:54 PM
true, stranger things have happened but i recon your nearer the mark

Adam
26-11-07, 10:58 PM
You were close Ash.
Won a set of bargain Individual/Twin Bike carbs.

Just need see if Tom R still has his custom inlet, and then a cheap ecu to sort the ignition. Hoping see good gains with them, but seeing as i dont know anyone who has bike carbs on a 16xe, i wont be able guess what they'll be like till after there on. :)

Will put pics up when they arrive.

tom reid
26-11-07, 11:05 PM
:thumb: Manifold is here, when your ready for it.

Ste L
26-11-07, 11:09 PM
nice fella :cool:

Adam
26-11-07, 11:13 PM
PMd Tom

Cheers Ste.

alan b
28-11-07, 11:49 AM
friend of mine had bike tb's on his corsa gsi. he used gotech managment from jamsport, it was cheeap! he got it running but never fully mapped. which you going for? mega jolt is very cheap, but you need a ford edis system.

Adam
28-11-07, 05:55 PM
There carbs, not tb's. So dont need a full ecu.
So they'll take care of the fuel system thereself.

Megajolt is the cheapest ignition ecu around, so yeah i'll be using that
I know about the ford edis stuff as i looked into megajolt months ago.

The hardest bit will be fitting a 36-1 crank trigger wheel, and aligning the crank sensor.
Universal steel wheel welded onto the standard bottom pully me thinks. :)

Adam
28-11-07, 07:41 PM
Quick update.
RoyalMail just made a parcel delivery(at 7.15pm :confused:)
And inside zee parcel was these :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pb280001343.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pb2800023434.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Pb28000134324234.jpg

:thumb:

Plug
28-11-07, 07:43 PM
i want them
lol nice setup should get them running sweet as a nut

Adam
28-11-07, 07:44 PM

I should have the inlet sometime soon :)

Plug
28-11-07, 07:45 PM
i hate that i bought webber T40's for my mini and totally forgot about the inlet took 2 weeks to get one all i wanted to do was wack them on and burn around

peester
28-11-07, 07:47 PM
u gonna get another, cheaper daily runner in the meantime kinda thing..?

Adam
28-11-07, 07:49 PM
Undecided yet, i may be moving jobs, to one thats very close to me.
So it might be pushbike time lol

Or try and get everything fitted in a weekend lol

Plug
28-11-07, 07:51 PM
fitted in a weekend sounds better lol

peester
28-11-07, 08:13 PM
nah, i meant just the whole.. stop starting, cold mornings, everyday use of your car at the mo,.. fuel expense etc.. engine mods like that arent gonna enjoy traffic jams etc etc..?
Not so much with the car off the road for a day or two...

Adam
28-11-07, 08:54 PM
nah, i meant just the whole.. stop starting, cold mornings, everyday use of your car at the mo,.. fuel expense etc.. engine mods like that arent gonna enjoy traffic jams etc etc..?
Not so much with the car off the road for a day or two...
It'll stay my everyday car even with the engine mods.
Having spoken to quite a few Yamaha R1 owners, that use their bikes summer and winter, the carbs are a very reliable design even in -5c weather :thumb:

And im hoping mpg will be better than webers, which i got 30mpg with on my old engine, even without them setup properly.

Nick J
29-11-07, 08:51 AM
Excellent addition fella...cant beat the noise from carbs!

craig green
29-11-07, 11:20 AM
Top purchase. Will keep an eye out here now.

Those japanese carbs should run a damn sight better than the pre-war Weber efforts, regarding economy & cold starts.

Adam
29-11-07, 04:38 PM
Cheers for replies.

Aye, im hoping they will run nicer than webers do.
Should have better throttle response/progression etc too, as there variable venturi. :)

craig green
29-11-07, 04:54 PM
I'd be interested to see the inlet when you have it. (Pics)

Adam
29-11-07, 05:57 PM
I'll get pics up once i get it :)

Edit-heres a pic Tom did when he picked the manifolds up from the maker.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/tomreid/2ltrxea.jpg

It'll be getting drilled/tapped for coolant connection, and brake servo. EGR is already blocked off(right hand side), and the left hand side will be cut off, as the 16xe head has a cast bolt on gallery for the coolant, seperate from the inlet.
And the runners will need a session with the die grinder to get them nice and smooth.

I might see if i can find another cylinder head, so i can then get the inlet matched to the head ports, re-lap the valves etc, then bolt the whole lot on my block. As i want the car to be off the road for the shortest time posible ideally.

Rich
29-11-07, 10:21 PM
What happened to getting an audi?? :P Reading through this makes me wish i never sold my nova.

Look forward to seeing the results mate

Adam
29-11-07, 10:37 PM
What happened to getting an audi?? :P Reading through this makes me wish i never sold my nova.

Look forward to seeing the results mate
lol
half of my audi budget has now been put aside lol
So audis off the cards for a while.

Adam
02-12-07, 06:07 PM
Hmm, after doing some thinking, mainly about costs(worked out this is going cost well over ?500), thats before having the carbs set up and the ecu ign map sorted....

Considering selling the carbs on..... :(
And just buying a mantzel or something.

craig green
03-12-07, 04:45 PM
I say keep at it. Fit the bits when you have it all ready to go.

Heads often pop up cheap.

From what I can gather you are in a fantastic position to play around with setups & tinker until your heart is content. Theres a few people wanting to run this setup or hoping to do it. You'll be one of the 1st. Likewise when you do get it running, the sound of the carbs at full chat will make it all worthwhile.

Atleast the car goes.

Adam
03-12-07, 04:53 PM
Not sure what to do.
I guess if i spent a few month getting the bits together the cost wouldn't seem as bad.

But i dont have the patience to sit about looking at things, i WANT them fitted like now lol

Paul
05-12-07, 03:29 PM
These fitted yet Ad? lol

As said above, keep them, the benefits should be well worth while. If i remember correctly you already have some cams? which will benefit the carbs even more?

Paul

chubbston
06-12-07, 01:33 PM
nica love the car

Adam
06-12-07, 01:58 PM
Lol, no Paul.

I'll decide what to do soon.

Im picking up the inlet at Donny on Saturday hopefully.

Cheers Chubbston.

Adam
08-12-07, 04:30 PM
Picked the inlet up off Iainel today.
Will get pics later.

Will need some smoothing work, and some mods before i consider using it tho.

Adam
08-12-07, 08:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Bike%20carbs/Pc080011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Bike%20carbs/Pc080010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Bike%20carbs/Pc080004.jpg

John
08-12-07, 08:44 PM
They look fapping excellent ad! Get 'em on! Toms manifold doesn't look too bad i have to say.

Adam
08-12-07, 08:53 PM
Aye, for the price saving/waiting time over Bogg bro's, they are worth it.

They do need some work before id use it tho(coolant passage drilling etc). And a brake servo union fitting

chrisnovaturbo
09-12-07, 12:29 AM
lookin good

peester
09-12-07, 09:06 AM
wooo.. pave the way..

maccas
13-12-07, 04:11 PM
i like the look of that manifold and the carbs, i think i maybe brought it up along time ago but i'm sort of part way through doing the same thing but with zzr1100 motorbike carbs, which are keihin, i would have preferred mikuni's but somebody gave me these for free so i can't complain, i've been making my manifold out of steel just beacuse i have a mig welder and i have had plenty of hours welding steel and i've never had a go at aluminium, i've got a megajolt ecu so i'm going to go down that route, at first i was going to try and modify the rocker cover and bodge on a 1.3sr dizzy but for the sake of a few quid for the megajolt its got to be worth it! Do you know which ford's have the edis sysytem in them? i've got a J reg 1.1 fiesta with a dispak and that looks like the edis system but i'm not too sure? I will be very interested to see how yours develops, i don't get much chance to work on my car because i'm at uni, and my car needs a full respray before i get the engine put back in, i spent all summer patching holes and stitch welding and shedding weight lol, would you use an alternator from a small block 8 valve with the respective tensioner etc.?

maccas

Adam
13-12-07, 05:01 PM
I used a Late corsa 8v alt, off a 1997 1.2i.
The tensioner i use is a home made jobbie,Lol.

I "think" mostly 1.6/1.8s have Edis system, look for the edis controller on the bulkhead/inner wing.

maccas
13-12-07, 05:43 PM
il have to take a trip to the local scrappy and have a look around lol, as soon as i've finished the manifold i'll post some pics up if you want, i'm going to make it slightly differently to the one you have, i'm not going to include the cutout for the injector part because i think it will disrupt airflow, then i plan to fill that bit in on the head

maccas

draper
13-12-07, 06:26 PM
some nice updates ad, have you got everything you need now then ??

i reckon you should do a how-to guide as you fit them

Adam
13-12-07, 06:52 PM
Maccas-Its harder to make the manifold with the injector cutout too.
Remember make threads/holes for the brake servo hose, and the coolant hose on the middle of the head.

Draper-Nope not yet, ive done a bit of a spending spree on other things recently, so have fook all cash atm lol
I still need quite a bit of stuff.

If someone offers me a cheap xe and conversion kit, it'll get xe'd and the bike carb stuff sold on lol

wide_boy_60
14-12-07, 09:16 PM
go for the white allys they look better on the car imo

Adam
17-12-07, 07:01 PM
:confused:
Ive had the white alloys fitted since May this year lol

Anyhow, quick update.
Noticed that the front indicators were getting ****ty looking/mouldy in the corners.
So i popped on ebay and found a set of brand new gm ones.
Bought them and received them today.

So got to work with "de-tangoing" them(removing the orange bulb filters)
How they started:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/DSCN0031.jpg

After removing the filters, much cleaner/fresher look to the front end. Will fit Silvertec bulbs too, so no orange bits on sight,Lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/DSCN0037.jpg

That is all for now.

Paul
17-12-07, 07:23 PM
How'd you do that?

Adam
17-12-07, 07:26 PM
Screwdriver, and a big fcuking hammer :)
The filters are just glued inside the lens, so just smash it in bits and remove with pliers,lol.

Benn
18-12-07, 07:41 PM
Stealing my idears again i see... ;)

Looks much better, hope you've got the silver coverd orange bulbs...

coochiSR
18-12-07, 07:44 PM
Will fit Silvertec bulbs too, so no orange bits on sight,Lol.

Will be Mr Benn ;)

Adam
18-12-07, 08:45 PM
Stealing my idears again i see... ;)

:plollol

Ash
18-12-07, 09:20 PM
Looks smart :thumb: Do you take the lens off? or shatter the filter through the bulb hole? I wanted to make a smoked/clear set for when I back to mk2 :cool:

Adam
18-12-07, 09:22 PM
Shatter it through the bulb hole mate, and then remove the remains with long nose pliers.

Benn
18-12-07, 10:00 PM
:plollol

Lol Knew i should post pics of stuff i do...lol

Clear.. real clear is always best, like my rears...

peester
18-12-07, 10:08 PM
cool stuff.. did the same with my old gsi years ago - but fitted those blue-look halfords bulbs that flash orange rather than silvertecs..
sound.. selling those carbs tho..?

Adam
18-12-07, 10:14 PM
selling those carbs tho..? Im in two minds mate.
The cost will pile up to fit them, and i'll still be left with carbs that will munch fuel.

But then again, they'll look/sound cool,and be pretty unique.

Might stretch the engine project out longer, to spread the cost(which isn't a massive amount in terms of engine tuning money)
And then see how if i can sort them for summer.

Its the ecu mapping/carb setup costs that are bothering me. Seeing as bike carbs aren't used much, nor is the megajolt ecu.

peester
18-12-07, 10:29 PM
must admit, im straying away.. goin sbd/similar.. proper stuff. new or used..

NOV4_SPORT
18-12-07, 10:36 PM
i just spend ages looking through this from the 1st post till the last, must say, its a very clean and tidy nove, i hope you get the carbs on a set up right, you cant beat the sound they make lol

iain

maccas
18-12-07, 11:46 PM
yeah but jets and other bits and bobs are much cheaper to replace than for webers and stuff like that aren't they, and there are only 4 things to change in a motorbike carb providing your float needle and seat are large enough to flow a sufficient amount of fuel, you've got main jet (?3 each), needle jet(similar cost), pilot jet(also very cheap) and possibly the needle itself, and beacuse the venturi's are variable, u don't have to worry about buying a right set of chokes, i'd stick with them and get them on, i don't think you'll regret it, i can't wait till i've got my shell done so i can then move onto the engine and get a simlar setup done on mine

maccas

Adam
19-12-07, 05:58 PM
Yeah jets are cheap. If you only need buy them once(which is unlikely when you're trying set them up)

You only need change the main jet, apparently just fiddling with the idle screw is enough to get the idle mix ok, and the needle is adjustable by a small circlip, so you can fine tune the main jet.
But by the way a carb works, the fuelling is never going to be great. Which is where the bad mpg etc comes from.

tom reid
19-12-07, 07:23 PM
FFs Ad, stop being an old woman and JUST DO IT, I'll be only to glad to help and learn with the set up and mapping.

ANDYRACER
19-12-07, 07:31 PM
FFs Ad, stop being an old woman and JUST DO IT, I'll be only to glad to help and learn with the set up and mapping.

Agreed, stop being gay and get it sorted! :thumb:

Adam
19-12-07, 07:39 PM
Lend me ?300, and it'll be done for next week :D lol

alan b
19-12-07, 07:41 PM
bugger me you changed from lltn! i was like, whos is this bloke? did i comment on his thread!lol id keep small block if i were you bud, i kind of wish i did now without deep pockets they just wont handle the same! plus a carbd x16xe would be class!

ANDYRACER
19-12-07, 07:43 PM
Lend me ?300, and it'll be done for next week :D lol

Is that it?
You make it out like its going cost you thousands!

tom reid
19-12-07, 08:03 PM
Why ?300?

Paul
19-12-07, 08:13 PM
Ad you jessie, fit the carbs lol

Rich
19-12-07, 10:16 PM
fit an xe its cheaper and quicker lol

Adam
20-12-07, 03:20 PM
Why ?300? Thats easily what i need to spend to get the other bits

fit an xe its cheaper and quicker lol Thats a goodpoint/\ Lol

Ste L
20-12-07, 03:26 PM
i've been telling you to fit a c20 for ages, you know it makes sence ;)

Adam
20-12-07, 03:27 PM
Someone throw some shafts my way, and i will.

Adam
20-12-07, 10:44 PM
Ignore that last comment.

Carbs NO longer for sale :) lol
Time to start spending(again)

Adam
03-01-08, 02:58 PM
Quick update.
Got hold of some cheap weber 45 trumpets, 60mm length ones. In very good condition, just need a polish. Bargain at ?20 when there ?60+ new :D
And luckily they will slide straight into some silicone hose when i get some.
For the minute, ive just pushed them into the rubber hose trumpets the carbs come with originally.

They look cool imo :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/DSCN0074.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/DSCN0077.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/DSCN0079.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/DSCN0084.jpg

Whether they'll fit in the bay is another question lol
They sit quite upright, so i think the bonnet may cause more problems than the firewall. We'll see.

Paul
03-01-08, 03:11 PM
They look rally nice mate, i reckon they'd look even better on the engine rather than on a sofa though ;)

Adam
03-01-08, 03:14 PM
lol

Its cold outside :p

Paul
03-01-08, 03:16 PM
that should make you work faster- nice incentive, quicker its done, quicker you're inside in the warm.

Off you trot now.... lol

Adam
03-01-08, 05:17 PM
Lol.

Still need quite a few bits before i even start doing any fitting.

They'll be going on nearer the summer time.

greg1.4
03-01-08, 05:22 PM
they carbs look really cool mate..

cant wait to see them on your nova..and hear them..ha ha

my dad says i should get bike carbs on my rally car with a 14/1600 16v.

Adam
03-01-08, 05:37 PM
Im optimistic till i see the results.
I have a funny feeling they wont give much more of a gain over a mantzel'd 16xe tbh!
Inconsistent fueling and all that

Lee
03-01-08, 05:45 PM
Feck the power gains, they look slutty!!

Chop the firewall out, problem solved :)