PDA

View Full Version : fibre-glass panels???

edens-xe
30-01-07, 08:02 PM
hi all i know alot of you are using g.r.p panels. i was wondering where the best sites are for these or the cheapest. mainly what im looking for are front wings and doors but im having great difficulty finding such panels, any info on this would be a great help. oh i also forgot can you get different roof skins for novas like g.r.p or carbon as i have a sunroof in mine with a cage and was thinking about changin this:confused: . also whats the big deal about cutting the spare wheel well out:confused: :confused: as ive got no spare in mine (more weight:thumb:) and what would be the best material to replace it?:tard: sorry to go-on i just want shot of the heavy metal stuff on my car:D :D .

cheers guys:thumb:

Mike
30-01-07, 08:04 PM
doors in grp? you'll be hard pressed to find those going cheap, if going at all lol GRP wings are available, but quite rare, GRP bonnets and boots are readily available from Demon Tweeks, ebay, rallyusedparts.co.uk etc etc

roof skins are steel only, sunroof or non sunroof

wheel well, plate it up with sheet steel, then brace it with box section from underneath ;)

Stuart
30-01-07, 08:07 PM
you can get a kevlar roof BUT you really need a proper cage to take the roof strength... so no weight save as such.

bump
30-01-07, 08:25 PM
No real benefit from dropping the wheel well from a weight point of view by the time it's been plated and braced.

Mike
30-01-07, 08:28 PM
if you trying to lose weight, your first port of call should be:

remove ALL carpet and foamy stuff from underneath
remove ALL that brown sounds proof crap (both front foots well's weights in at 2.5kg, and the bit under rear seats weights 3kg ish ;))
strip rear seats and seat belts out

edens-xe
30-01-07, 08:31 PM
if you trying to lose weight, your first port of call should be:

remove ALL carpet and foamy stuff from underneath
remove ALL that brown sounds proof crap (both front foots well's weights in at 2.5kg, and the bit under rear seats weights 3kg ish ;))
strip rear seats and seat belts out
all already done long ago just wana go lighter with the fat f**k redtop sat in the frontlol lol :thumb: . ive seen wide-arch front wings but i dont like them id rather have normal ones any one know a specific site that sells em? cheers!!

edens-xe
30-01-07, 08:33 PM
you can get a kevlar roof BUT you really need a proper cage to take the roof strength... so no weight save as such. ive got a fully welded in cage which goes god damn everywhere in the car it needs plating to the a,b panels now>

Mike
30-01-07, 08:37 PM
all already done long ago just wana go lighter with the fat f**k redtop sat in the frontlol lol :thumb: . ive seen wide-arch front wings but i dont like them id rather have normal ones any one know a specific site that sells em? cheers!!

well, once fibreglass panels ie: front wings, bonnet, boot, roof skin (not worth the hassle IMHO!) are fitted, you could attempt to find some carbon fibre doors(which i garantee you wont) and thats about it

remove all the rear seat mount (spot welded on) and any other useless brackets and thats it tbh

Mike
30-01-07, 08:39 PM
p.s. light cars are good yes, but they can also be dangerously light, to the point where when overtaknig an artic, the force of air literally pushes the nova sideways! (as i found out :()

Lee
30-01-07, 08:47 PM
p.s. light cars are good yes, but they can also be dangerously light, to the point where when overtaknig an artic, the force of air literally pushes the nova sideways! (as i found out :()

LOL, its even worse in a van!!

As for FG panels, i know for a fact you cant get front wings in standard sizes, only wide arch jobbies (because i want some!!!!!)

Mike
30-01-07, 08:58 PM
LOL, its even worse in a van!!

As for FG panels, i know for a fact you cant get front wings in standard sizes, only wide arch jobbies (because i want some!!!!!)

Yeah i could imagine!!!

i know where you can get FG wide arched front wings ;) well, i think there still avalialable lol

Here>> http://members.lycos.co.uk/novarally2003/default.htm

Phil GTE
30-01-07, 09:43 PM
Nova rallys wings aren't availible any more

I have the door moulds as used by Colin. Anyone know to do layer moulding in carbon, kevlar or fibreglass?

http://www.nova16xe.co.uk/novawip/June/P6040033.JPG

fearless
30-01-07, 10:32 PM
Make me an offer on my brand new unfitted fibreglass roof skin and i might be tempted to part with it !!

Stuart
31-01-07, 08:18 AM
seeing as a kevlar roof skin was ?150 last time i checked id guess that ?125 might be right for a GRP roof lol

jelly head
31-01-07, 08:40 AM
Nova rallys wings aren't availible any more

I have the door moulds as used by Colin. Anyone know to do layer moulding in carbon, kevlar or fibreglass?

http://www.nova16xe.co.uk/novawip/June/P6040033.JPG

There are Three companys near me that mould in F/G and carbon, one makes replica race bike body parts the other body panels for cars (including doors) and the third body kits.