PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem: Urgent, Help Needed.

r49
30-01-07, 07:57 PM
Hi, i have a mk2 Nova with a C20XE engine, on my way to the station today i put my foot down in first then found i couldnt change gear. The pedal is fine, so is the cable, you can select gears when the engine is off, but not when it is started.

My mate spoke to his mechanic who over the phone said he believes its the pressure plate.

What i would like to know is...

Does this sound right?
Whats involved (does the whole gear box have to be taken out?)
Will my C20XE have an astra gearbox? (i.e would F16 / F20 etc clutch kits be the same?)

Thanks in advance, Reece.

edens-xe
30-01-07, 08:07 PM
is there a new clutch in there already if so did you take the pressure plate clamps off as i had this trouble with mine as i forgot to take them off and i had to be towed home. tke the clutch cover off and take a look. (four 11mm bolts iirc):thumb:

mikey14sr
30-01-07, 08:20 PM
Take it the lever is moving then? Does sound like the fingers on the pressure plate have broken, on an xe it'll be easier to drop the whole lot out then to try and remove the gearbox by itself. Look under the universal joint on the linkage to find the F code.

r49
30-01-07, 08:22 PM
the car was running fine, the clutch has not been touched. It just suddenly failed to work... what do u mean clutch cover?

r49
30-01-07, 08:25 PM
Yea the lever is moving fine and freely as normal until you start the engine then it only moves a little.. Do u mean drop the whole engine out :S why would i have to do that.?

mikey14sr
30-01-07, 08:27 PM
yeah drop the engine, lol. theres not much room to get the box out on it's own. definately sounds like pressure plate or release bearing to me.

Philsutton
30-01-07, 08:50 PM
Take it the lever is moving then? Does sound like the fingers on the pressure plate have broken, on an xe it'll be easier to drop the whole lot out then to try and remove the gearbox by itself. Look under the universal joint on the linkage to find the F code.

not completely true, if i can take a F28 with the engine still in you can do a F20 pish easy and i have many times. Take the cover plate off to see whats going off, if bits fall out then you know its new clutch time.

r49
30-01-07, 09:47 PM
So it depends on the gear box wether the engine needs to come out? Tbh it will give me an excuse to paint the engine bay as the whole car was due to be getting a respray tomorrow after many months of delays.....Now for the clutch to go it just adds to the list of set backs.

Philsutton
30-01-07, 09:52 PM
no the engine never needs to come out be it a F20, F16, F18, F28, its all possible and easy enough to do.

r49
30-01-07, 11:58 PM
Some contirversial info there guys, I think il take the engine out anyhow as the engine bay needs to be painted.

Thanks you Nova lads