PDA

View Full Version : what colour to do my roll cage?

SRlew
28-01-07, 06:36 PM
right im getting a 6point cage next week end but it'll need a paint, so im going to get it blasted and powder coated.

im just struggling to decide what colour to do it.

black might look good as everything in side the car will be black (ie carpet dash seats)

red might look good as it'll be in a red car.

then i thought about something a bit different, my mate had a yellow cage in his red xr2 and that looked good, but iv also been thinking about blue.

any one got any pics? must be a red car tho.

or what colour you think?

ohh also i thought about white, to match my wheels (but not sure if im changing them)
also like a grey as im doing my bumpers grey (but might swap back to red bumpers if i decide to)

draper
28-01-07, 09:00 PM
white :thumb:

tom reid
28-01-07, 09:20 PM
Yellow!

puss puss
28-01-07, 10:04 PM
scooby impreza my cousin painted his mini in that colour came out very nice and i liked the colour a lot :)

welsh_roadrally
29-01-07, 02:09 AM
I've got a blue cage in my red 205 GTi,that looks quite good but ive also got blue seats and harnesses,i think red would be a good choice if everything else inside the car is black.

chimp007_uk
29-01-07, 03:09 AM
its got to be white, my half cage looked really nice in white!

although, the manta's cage is black :(

SRlew
29-01-07, 09:20 AM
i was leaning towards white when i was thinking about it last night, as it could looks good with the white wheels,

but then blue would stand out and be a bit different. 'welsh roadrally' dont spose you could get me a pic could you? also iv decided to keep the rear floor inside the car uncoverd so it'll be red, so the red cage could be a bit mush im thinking

SRlew
29-01-07, 10:14 AM
wheres jack?????
heres apic of my car thats its going in, jack im wanting your skills again buddy! recon you could edit a blue cage in to the car? lol a lot to ask i no.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/Picture157.jpg
try and adit in the diaganol aswell if any one wants to lol :thumb:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/passengerside.jpg

Iain
29-01-07, 11:41 AM
Red and blue don't look good together IMO. White to match the wheels will look good

dannyb
29-01-07, 12:10 PM
Red and green MIGHT work..... But seriously, I reckon satin black or a grey so it doesn't stand out too much and dominate the interior. Don't forget to get some of those foam pads that wimpy kids had on their bike crossbars, luminous yellow ones for the passenger side!

SRlew
29-01-07, 12:18 PM
yeh i was thinking black but is it to plain and well normal? i wouldnt mind just the cage being a different colour to every thing else.

another reason i was leaning towards blue is that im thinking of getting blue hoses in the engine bay

Matt2107
29-01-07, 12:58 PM
You need to decide whether you want it to stand out and be obvious you have a cage in there or whether you'd like to have it blending in.

I gurrantee on a red car if you do a light coloured cage ie white/yellow etc then its the first thing the eye will be drawn to.

If you'd rather people were looking at something else first then I'd go for black, grey or red.

MOL
29-01-07, 01:07 PM
I'd definately go for white :thumb:

SRlew
29-01-07, 01:11 PM
You need to decide whether you want it to stand out and be obvious you have a cage in there or whether you'd like to have it blending in.

I gurrantee on a red car if you do a light coloured cage ie white/yellow etc then its the first thing the eye will be drawn to.

If you'd rather people were looking at something else first then I'd go for black, grey or red.

um good point actualy mate. my brother had a rear cage in his xr2 and that was black, it looked good as people would notice the car then they'd suddenly go ah its caged aswell. so now black sounds good lol

umm lol

Matt2107
29-01-07, 01:14 PM
I'd probably go for black with a matt finish.

SRlew
29-01-07, 01:17 PM
yeh i love matt black! will go try and get in my car in a minute and see what it'd feel like inside lol

Matt2107
29-01-07, 01:24 PM
If you wanna save yourself a few quid you could always paint it with hammerite smooth spray cans... Here's one of my tigra 5 spokes.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Matt2107/Picture059.jpg

craig green
29-01-07, 01:50 PM
White would look good with the white wheels, & I also love yellow esp like the one in the OMP catalogue & demon tweeks.

You can get Silver powder coat too, that would be cool.

Most powder coaters use the RAL system of paint codes. Look it up on a RAL chart & then ask for that finish. It will help for future coordination & extra powder coating etc. I had loadsa stuff done in RAL 1016 (Sulphur Yellow) some years ago.

http://www.martindoor.com/188_ral.htm

draper
29-01-07, 03:21 PM
pink ??

SRlew
29-01-07, 03:28 PM
ah right cheers craig. silver would look good but i dont think i could use it am just not sre if itd look right.
and yes the yellow omp ones look well nice!

umm in that colour chart the sky blue is well nice! so is the sulfur yellow. um decisions lol

dont no about pink tho draper lol

Matt2107
29-01-07, 03:32 PM
I'd go for grey aluminium if your just having the cage powdercoated... if your gonna have other things done... like front strut brace etc then go for the yellow you liked.

SRlew
29-01-07, 03:36 PM
you make sence! umm means id have to get my rear strut brace done the same colour but its chrome at the minute, so would i need a new one?

white cage with white strut braces? i might just end up going black lol

Matt2107
29-01-07, 03:41 PM
Just to make things worse for you... its cheaper to have everything powder coated at once ;)

If your brace is chromed it'll all come off when you have it shot/sand blasted.

SRlew
29-01-07, 03:46 PM
ah so it can come off then (the chrome)

right i'll get it al done at once then, i was going to get the rear part of the cage done first but now youv said that i'll get all parts i want doing there lol, what else can i get done lol

right its just down to black white or blue now, ah f**k i dont know, the cars right by the window which is next to me now, so every time i look at i think about another colour, will have to get thinking lol

Matt2107
29-01-07, 03:57 PM
I'd go for black.

The possibilities are endless for powdercoating.

dannyb
29-01-07, 04:23 PM
I sprayed my slut brace satin black as its an easy colour to spray in if it gets chipped/ gets carb cleaner on!! The finsh looks nicer than matt black too, it hides a multitude of sins!!

SRlew
29-01-07, 05:22 PM
is powder coating fairly strrong/tought paint then?

looks like it might be black then, possibly lol

Matt2107
30-01-07, 10:25 AM
Its probably the best method. I would think the finish on your cage would outlive the car.

My brother had a mini rear sub frame powder coated locally for ?70 so that will give you an idea of price.

I think it basically envolves the following.. powdered paint is electrostatically charged as is the roll cage. This is then propelled through a gun at the cage which attracts the oppositely charged particles. A fixer is then applied over the top which hardens the paint powder (i think it might be heated in an oven type thing)

I've probably got that slightly wrong but you get the idea.

Obviously if you have the cage sand/shot blasted the finish will be much better.

SRlew
30-01-07, 11:56 AM
yeh only part i know is that it gets put in like an oven lol

yeh i want it blasted first as it was in a rally car they obviously dont care what it looks like and they hand painted it. hopefully i can afford to get it done as soon as i get paid but iv got a lot to spend on my car this month, so hopefully lol

might give them a call in a minute and see if they can give me a rough idea.

cheers mate!

Matt2107
30-01-07, 12:02 PM
No problem.

Just have a look for a few local ones.
Make sure you haggle the price a little.
Offer them cash in hand and play them off against each other.

SRlew
30-01-07, 12:46 PM
lol you recon i can haggle the price down then??

yeh well i know wheres theres 2 in the same road! so might be like a war between them lol

Matt2107
30-01-07, 12:54 PM
You might be able to.

They may do a cheaper cash price.
I would think they'll price match as well so if you feel that one place is more professional then use the quote from the other place if its cheaper.

To be honest.. if you dont ask you wont get :D

SRlew
30-01-07, 01:07 PM
very true i'll try and haggle lol, the one place does seem more profesional and thats the one i want to use, as the other place i spoke to a while back sounded a bit sketchy lol will let ya know how i get on when i get it done etc

Mike
30-01-07, 05:35 PM
white ;)

Ash
31-01-07, 02:01 AM
white (sorry, but its for the best)

Ash

SRlew
31-01-07, 07:19 PM
yeh a place rang me back today with a rough idea, he said about ?30 maybe a bit more as he hasnt seen it, and he knows how big a cage is etc so im happy with that price, but, this place doesnt do blasting only powder coating, but he gave me a number of a guy who does so just need to ring hime tomorrow and get a quote, well actually i dont car i need it blasting lol i aint sanding a 6point cage back to bare metal!!

KPautomotive
31-01-07, 09:23 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/babyvalver/migmeet/Dsc03243.jpg

White or silver. :)

saloonwoody
01-02-07, 06:38 AM
yellow ;)http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/xrwood/pufback.jpg

Jack
01-02-07, 08:46 AM
Yellow if you want people to notice it, black if you prefer a more subtle approach.

Matt2107
01-02-07, 03:12 PM
Sanding it back to bare metal would be a piece of piss.

Get some decent quality sand paper.. lay it in the palm of your hand and imagine your cracking one off.

Hardest bits will be the joins.