PDA

View Full Version : grill question

bieransri
27-01-07, 06:35 PM
can you seperate the black plastic slatts from the surround of a nova grill without breaking it?

Mike
27-01-07, 06:44 PM
yes but its a pain in the **** lol

bieransri
27-01-07, 06:45 PM
hows it done, is there clips?

Mike
27-01-07, 06:49 PM
no clips, the grille and grille surround are like melted together

or you could just go here www.tuning.co.uk (http://www.tuning.co.uk) and buy a new grille for about ?30 thats already in 2 peices ;) :thumb:

Adam
27-01-07, 07:30 PM
Ye, the slats are fitted and then small "blobs" are melted to hold it in.

If you have a look at the back of the grill you can see them.

Mike
27-01-07, 07:46 PM
one thing i found, when i had a slight alteraction with the boot of an agila, is that the online autosport grilles dont seem to fit properly at all

the little lip thing at the top back of the grille, it kinda covers the slam panel a bit, i had to cut that off, as when i closed the bonnet, the grille flipped up lol!

craig green
27-01-07, 08:18 PM
The black slats & the surround behind the fr of the grille is all one peice & it clips to the top of the fr slam panel. I melted the slats away from the rest of it with a blow torch & a stanley knife.

Then meshed it.

r49
02-02-07, 02:48 PM
Get a grinder out mate and cut it off! just be careful

Jack
02-02-07, 03:17 PM
OEM grilles with the slats seem to sell for more money than ones without the slats, or with mesh fitted (especially on Mk1's). Ebay your existing grille for profit and buy another cheap one without the slats to mesh, or with mesh already on.

Either that, or melt the joins with a hot knife, keeping the slat section intact and sell it on ebay to someone who wants to de-chav a meshed grille.

bieransri
02-02-07, 06:43 PM
i dont want to mesh it as i personally hate it on nova's, i want to paint the slats in the grey im using on all the plastics, then re attach the slatts, might give it ago and plastic weld the slats back on

John
02-02-07, 07:14 PM
I have a new mk2 gm grille in primer, which the grille is currently separated, Pm me if you're interested.........

Ste L
02-02-07, 11:37 PM
use a soldering iron, melt the lugs off, and remove grille..

then plastic weld back togeather when finished :thumb: