PDA

View Full Version : Reg check, stolen car.

JSeymour
27-01-07, 05:58 PM
how can i check car registration plates?

ive found a car but it looks like its been stolen(window half down and it looks like its been hot wired). i just wunna find out so i can do something about it.(get the engine:) )

also.....if it is stolen and then gets a council or police notice for it to be moved is it against the law to just take it?

draper
27-01-07, 07:34 PM
nothings aganst the law if you dont get caught lol

Mike
27-01-07, 07:37 PM
call 999 and qoute the reg plate ;) lol

nah get you local plod stations number (should be 0870...) qoute number plate and ask them tis free that way :D

JSeymour
27-01-07, 08:08 PM
il try the police tomorrow and see if it is, il ask them about towing it away aswel.

Philsutton
27-01-07, 08:36 PM
also.....if it is stolen and then gets a council or police notice for it to be moved is it against the law to just take it?

right if the car is deemed to have been dumped and has not been claimed ect... I think you can ring teh police and ask whether you are legally allowed to remove the car. My mate did this to a mk2 GTI and the police said it was fine to take it as it would only need to be payd to be removed / scrapped anyway.

Well he might have been lying an just taken it though lol

JSeymour
27-01-07, 08:43 PM
right if the car is deemed to have been dumped and has not been claimed ect... I think you can ring teh police and ask whether you are legally allowed to remove the car. My mate did this to a mk2 GTI and the police said it was fine to take it as it would only need to be payd to be removed / scrapped anyway.

Well he might have been lying an just taken it though lol

I only asked as i rerember someone who made a bit of extra dosh on the side by driving around portsmouth city and jotng down any expeired tax and coucil aware stickers on cars, then just taking them to the crushers on the back of his van.

Philsutton
27-01-07, 08:47 PM
Yeah as far as im aware it is legal, as they arent exactly going to want to pay to get them removed.

Driver
28-01-07, 01:57 AM
then again someone may have a ****er, gon for a walk in the woods and got lost, they eventuly find there way to forest track and someones stole there car, they would top there selves there and then

JSeymour
28-01-07, 11:27 AM
well ive just been down the police station and they cant tell me weather its stolen because of the freedom of infomation act or some bull and as he wasnt a real police officer wasnt to clued up about taking it when it gets a notice to move it ticket on....so no help what so ever:(

draper
28-01-07, 11:53 AM
just take it anyway lol

Driver
28-01-07, 12:33 PM
ye just tow the **** away strip it down and remove all evidence of it ie plates vin numbers etc

JSeymour
28-01-07, 12:50 PM
chill out you lot! im not a TWOCer and still not 100% sure its been stolenlol

wisewood
29-01-07, 10:20 AM
they cant tell me weather its stolen because of the freedom of infomation act

lol lol The Data Protection Act maybe?
Freedom of information act would allow them to tell you, surely??

Anyway, why should you be allowed to claim parts from a dumped car legally? Even in cases of stuff being washed up on a beach you are allowed to claim it as a finders-keepers thing, but have to fill out a form and submit to the relevant authorities. There is no such thing for dumped cars. The car is still owned by the owner, just because it looks abandoned doesnt give you the right to help yourself lol lol that makes you as bad as whoever took it in the first place.

Matt2107
29-01-07, 10:54 AM
Crime doesnt pay!

Unless you can sell the stuff on :D

JSeymour
29-01-07, 01:47 PM
[quote=wisewood]lol lol The Data Protection Act maybe?
Freedom of information act would allow them to tell you, surely??

[quote]

thats the onelol

ive found out that its not stolen. the owner crashed it and just left it there so going to ask if he wants rid. its been vanderlised and hasnt moved for 2 months (so ive heard) so think he'l sell.

Matt2107
29-01-07, 01:55 PM
Break it?

JSeymour
29-01-07, 01:59 PM
you mean me or him? the cars a cav gsi2000 and im after a valver.

Matt2107
29-01-07, 02:03 PM
you mean me or him? the cars a cav gsi2000 and im after a valver.

I really should read the threads properly :D

loggyboy
31-01-07, 01:19 PM
https://www.freevehiclecheck.co.uk/fvcresults.aspx?Registration=XXX

replace XXX with the registration

wisewood
31-01-07, 01:30 PM
just tried that for several reg that i know and no results for any of them lol

Matt2107
31-01-07, 01:34 PM
Crap... con... blah blah blah

ade
31-01-07, 06:37 PM
dont ask him to sell it to you! if you do youre a muppet

If hes abandonned it hes breaking the law (dumping) and as the last reg owner and keeper he has to dispose of it properly or he can get mega fine!

Tell him you'll take it off his hands if he signs over the v5 to you (just like buying a car). If he doesnt "advise him" that the police know its been dumped and he could be prosecuted for fly tipping!

seriously - you can get mega fines its such a problem!

Once you have V5 tow it away - dont move it till you have vb5 though because he could accuse you of stealing it. He's still technically the reg owner.

Also - if its got a valid tax disc on it - make sure you sorn.scrap the car and get the cash back on the remaining period!

lol