PDA

View Full Version : wet foot wells???????

novaspence
27-01-07, 10:42 AM
right. iv got a mk2 nova and for some reason the footwells are soaked through with water. does any1 have any idea where the water will be coming from?? i think it might be coming through the vent bellow the window. but not sure. if this has happend to any1 before please help me.
cheers

Driver
27-01-07, 11:02 AM
have you a sunroof ??? have the doors been folded down in the past ???

novaspence
27-01-07, 11:03 AM
no i havent got a sunroof n i dont think they have.

Asa-James
27-01-07, 11:17 AM
look at your inner arches behind the front wheels, i can almost gaurantee a rusty hole. with all the wet wweather it flicks water from the wheel inside your car.

novaspence
27-01-07, 11:20 AM
i cant drive it yet coz i dont have insurance so i dont think it will be that

Driver
27-01-07, 11:22 AM
check under carpet at floor you mat have a rusty hole in floor itelf n condensation is gathering in your car or maybe you just sleepwalk and thought it was a toilet ???

novaspence
27-01-07, 11:29 AM
iv done that...iv cut out the stuff underneath the carpet n thats soaked aswell.

womble sri
27-01-07, 11:30 AM
i had that problem and it wasnt any of the above and i was stumped and the one day my heaters blew a load of smoke through so i knew something was up. it was the radiator in the bottom of the heater matrix one of the pipes and snapped and had filled the bottom of my dash with water! just keep an eye on your header tank and make sure it is not losing any water youd be able to smell rad water!

novaspence
27-01-07, 11:36 AM
no its not that. the water in the header tank hasnt gone down. i hope its not that. i hope its nothing bad. cheers anyway womble

dan16v
27-01-07, 12:03 PM
have you checked the usual rust spot under the battery its self as they can rust there and let water it

staggy_gsi
27-01-07, 12:36 PM
yeah it could be a hole in the battery tray as im about to weld mine up for that very reason! it could also be the heater matrix, common problem

Novadave06
27-01-07, 12:45 PM
has your heater matix broke and leaked?

Iain
27-01-07, 01:17 PM
Both of my mk2s do that. Check the rubber grommet where wires go through to the engine bay (near the battery) as that has leaked on mine in the past. Also had drips down under the drivers side arch (drips down behind the plastic trim in the footwell) but don't know if that's because the wing wasn't bolted on properly.

mikey14sr
27-01-07, 01:25 PM
Most likely causes are a leaking windscreen seal, or rotten battery tray/ scuttle panel. Whip the battery out and have a good poke around over the whole width of the panel it sits on, chances are there'll be some rust holes along where that panel meets the firewall below. If there isnt then if the windscreen's been replaced in the past the seal might be leaking, or the heater rad could be leaking.

ade
27-01-07, 09:35 PM
mine did this and it turned out to be the grommet where the indicators come into the cabin. i tested it by pouring a jug of water over the corner of the wing by the window edge and could see the water coming in.

If you remove all the side panels and check for rust tracks you can usually trace it back.

Also check -

grommet where main engine loom comes into the cabin (passenger side)
grommet for indicators
windscreen rubbers
battery tray/scuttle panel
door edge seal
holes in the floor

Mike
27-01-07, 09:38 PM
and the sly one is holes in the inner front arches ;)

Steve
27-01-07, 11:16 PM
Ive had it on a couple of older ones (b&c reg's) turned out to be the rubber seal around the door check there for perishing and just below it on the carpet after its rained. Good luck