PDA

View Full Version : black smoke!!!!!

Anonymous
20-07-01, 05:57 PM
ive just had my car rollin roaded then the other day i noticed when my mate was revin my car that when on tick over and u rev it black smoke cums out. i rang the bloke and he goes thats strange as he said he made the main jet smaller or something like that so hed never expect that to happen. then he said that i though i might have a sticky something cant member what he said i got twin 40's by the way wat do u lot reckon it is. Also i took my oil filer cap off today and noticed that oil starting shootin up, but when i did it a mth or so ago it didnt do it as much checked the comp it was around 200-220 psi rang regal they said it might be an oil way blocked and try engine flush wat do u lot reckon this could be and it should chuck oil up the filer cap hole should it ummmmmm!!!!!.

Anonymous
20-07-01, 06:01 PM
ill do the last bit again lol IT SHOULDNT CHUCK OIL UP THROUGH THE FILER CAP HOLE SHOULD IT

Anonymous
20-07-01, 06:25 PM
ok u got 40`s fitted?
right then i asume u have a crank case breather filter fitted as well?
take it off and check underneath to see if its all blocked up with scum and sludge, if it is then your oil preasure will go sky high

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
20-07-01, 06:30 PM
yer i got a little k&n oil breather is it normally white sludgy shit that blocks it up

Anonymous
20-07-01, 07:29 PM
nice one micky i took the breather off didnt really find anything but cleaned everything up and put it back together and whayhey oil dont piss up through the rocker cover no more, phewwwww though i needed a new bottom end then for a second

Anonymous
20-07-01, 09:28 PM
um well got to my mates house earlyer and took the oil cap off after cleaning all the breather pipes etc and oil started shootin out the rocker cover again wat can this be plz say its not my bottom end, do u reckon it could be the actual black thing that the breather goes on and should i take it off and give it a clean

Anonymous
21-07-01, 10:09 AM
um oil will come out of the oil cap (well when its running) coz the oil runs round the cam lobe and gets flicked up. i suppose it would flick more out if the pressure was higher.

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
21-07-01, 03:00 PM
does any1 know how to tell if ur crank is fooked or how can i tell if i got back pressure cause as i say my car still goes well i just assumed that when the car is running and oil shouts up through the rocker cover it means u have back pressure therefore ur bottom end is fooked. Does this happen to anyone else when the car is runnin and u take off ur oil cap.

Anonymous
21-07-01, 05:10 PM
mine spits oil if u take the cap off when its running (its ment to????)
if the breather filter clogs up then oil preasure will soar and make your engine gaskets leak like a leaky welsh leek.

Anonymous
21-07-01, 05:53 PM
my car spits out oil too :) i did tell you from the start pukka-novasr (its ment too)you dip stick ha :p

Anonymous
22-07-01, 08:46 AM
Lmao, its perfectly normal m8.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Whoopass! :D

The original footer, not a cheap immitation!

Anonymous
22-07-01, 10:09 AM
also if the car is hot m8 and u take the expansion tank cap of while the engine is running then it spits water and steam!!! (this is also normal so dont worry about it!) ;):)

Anonymous
22-07-01, 10:36 AM
um also im just wondering when i open the filer cap i can see things movin when the engine is runnin im sure this aint right lmao:d

Anonymous
22-07-01, 12:56 PM
m8 i think you need to go out and buy a ford xr2 or something like that ,i think your car is f**ked:d lmao:p:p:p:p

Anonymous
22-07-01, 02:17 PM
well i bin speakin to a few mechanics they say that when oil shoots up through the filer cap that is caused by back pressure there for theres either a fault in the crank or rings is this true if so then my bottom end is fooked then aint it not good. also my m8 has a 1.2 h reg nova and he goes that oil dont shoot up on his so i start to think again:-/

Anonymous
22-07-01, 03:06 PM
As said above, oil is thrown off the cam lobes if the cap is removed whilst the engine is running. Some cam covers (1.6 gsi for eg) have baffles fitted to stop this. If the engine is warm, the oil is thinner = more mess. Forget about the filler cap and check out the breather pipe etc right the way thru into the block cos it could be partially clogged. Any crank case back pressure should be expelled thru this and not up into the cam housing.I suggest getting some kind of pipe rigged up so you can blow back thru into the block to make sure its all clear. When cleared unless you are losing a noticeably large amount of air and oil out of the breather there's no probs with the rings or bores. Probs with the crank would show up as knocking noises and low oil press. esp when warm. A little air and oil expelled out of the breather is normal esp. after a thrash in these older engines.
You got twin 40's? - occasionally you get black smoke - the accelerator jets squirt a small stream of neat petrol down a tube & into the inlet manifold to ensure rapid pickup. This mechanism has nothing to do with the main jet, air correction jet, or idle jet which may have be set smaller. Black smoke = over rich mixture which is only temporary. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous
22-07-01, 03:21 PM
well its seems to be breathing quite heavy thru the breather filter when cars running white smoke comes out the little filter,but ive bin told dont worry bout it:-/

Anonymous
22-07-01, 10:40 PM
sounds like your rings and bores are quite worn, but it doesn't mean anything is terminally fooked. Short of a new engine or a major rebuild with a re- bore and new pistons there's not a lot to be done and is it worth the expense?? It'll go OK for ages yet.

Anonymous
23-07-01, 03:56 PM
but the comp is quite high on it, it hits bout 210-220psi so the piston+rings can be that fooked can they

Anonymous
24-07-01, 04:19 AM
for fuck sake
first.running carbs(black smoke) = can be caused by over fueling! i run 45s!
2nd. if ur stupid enough to start ur engine without the oil cap..then i think u need a xr2. back pressure is bollox in ur case.
oil is pushed up of the cam.! also.back pressure. has ur oil cap flew of yet? no..so dont worry about..tell ur mechanic m8 hes not making any money out of u this month.! if ur m8s nova dosent flick petrol maybe it dont have a cam? wot has it got? tell me? id like to know. so there u go. ur cars fine. sleep well in the knowledge that it will still be working in 12 months time. without a new bottom end and so on. ! mind u. bring it round ere..i could do wif some money!
laters all

Anonymous
24-07-01, 07:55 PM
im gonna build an engine with no camshaft :) but thats for my degree and v secret hee hee

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
25-07-01, 12:17 AM
You using magnetic valves or something then?

Or.....cylindrical valves perhaps? (I know what I mean!)

Some model airplain engines don't have cam shafts....just thought I'd mention that :D

Anonymous
25-07-01, 06:08 PM
well who go out the wrong side off bed then (ctunnicliffe01)