PDA

View Full Version : Nova to sell or not to sell?

jord4n
25-01-07, 03:28 PM
hi

well its come to that time of the year again, same time every year for me:roll:
Its MOT time, well this time im having a few diffrent thoughts on what to do.

i really love novas to bits its been my car life for over 3 yrs now, and i really dont no what to do?

anyway iv got a J reg Nova gsi in silk violet which is now showing 117K miles:( , and tho the miles are high the car as been well and truely looked after in the time befor i had it and in my hand is been treated right. with full history, every mot, reciepts for every little thing. i know it will go though a mot with a new cv boot, new fuel lines and track rod end. thats all it will need im sure.

Just really iv always wanted a mint nova, and to to that to this one would take quite a lot of work to do, as the car as never been resprayed and its starting to show its age abit now, rusty arches and bottom of the drivers door and a 10p size bit and under the bonet is starting to look worse for wear, boot it mint tho and the normal as happend to the drivers seat.

so my question is to sell for very little money and have done, do what every nova dreams of and a full rebuild from top to bottom.

Matt2107
25-01-07, 03:32 PM
Full rebuild if you have the time and space... otherwise minimal repairs to keep it on the road.... don't sell it... you will only regret it.

wisewood
25-01-07, 03:34 PM
If you can afford a "proper car" sell the nova. If not, keep it. Driving around in something that costs you about 1500 quid and is totally dull but without the 117k miles will depress you.

Jack
25-01-07, 03:35 PM
I love my car, passed its MOT first time this week with no problems, something either of my old Novas never ever did lol

Can you afford the time and money to rebuild it? What would you buy if you sold it? There's few GSi's on the market at the moment - ask Timmy :D - so you might get a decent price for it.

You might find you'll regret selling it though and end up spaffing money away another one in worse condition in a few months/years time. Like I did. lol

OR you might sell them and find a car that you love even more, like I also did with the GT4 :D

[edit] incidentally, if you're worried about the 117k on a J reg, thats still below average. My GT4 is N reg, and has nearly 140k. Buy a Toyota, then mileage is nothing LOL

wisewood
25-01-07, 03:48 PM
thats exactly what i said, but using 10 times more words lol

Lee H
25-01-07, 03:50 PM
I love my car, passed its MOT first time this week with no problems, something either of my old Novas never ever did lol

Can you afford the time and money to rebuild it? What would you buy if you sold it? There's few GSi's on the market at the moment - ask Timmy :D - so you might get a decent price for it.

You might find you'll regret selling it though and end up spaffing money away another one in worse condition in a few months/years time. Like I did. lol

OR you might sell them and find a car that you love even more, like I also did with the GT4 :D

[edit] incidentally, if you're worried about the 117k on a J reg, thats still below average. My GT4 is N reg, and has nearly 140k. Buy a Toyota, then mileage is nothing LOL

Hope my GT-4 passes first time next month although its doubtful. Mines a H-reg on 148k incidentally.

However back on topic, i'd personally keep the Nova, I regretted selling my runabout valver Nova to buy the GT-4 immediately but it was too late then. The only reason I sold it was because the MOT was due, what a mistake.

jord4n
25-01-07, 03:51 PM
lol yer the 117k is still under for its age, iv got the money and time for the full rebuild, own double garage plus iv just been given a welder, but as its been said theres a few gsi's for sale atm.

im only 20 with 2yrs NC and 3yrs driving expariance, so rules out much of the cars i would like, i have been looking at 106 gti's but again the insurance will kill me. thats y im thinking of taking the nova off the road for a yr rebuilding with a 1.6 16v, if i ever find one in ok condition and close to me or xe'ing it, but its been done,

also dose the SE engines respond well to twin 40's,?

Jack
25-01-07, 03:54 PM
thats exactly what i said, but using 10 times more words lol
Well yes, but I'm bored at work lol

Good luck on the MOT btw Lee :D

jord4n
25-01-07, 03:56 PM

isnt everyone

Lee H
25-01-07, 03:58 PM

Good luck on the MOT btw Lee :D

Cheers, so far reckon I need a tyre but not had a proper look yet. If it passes I will probably try and sell it before the **** falls out of the market for them even more.

wisewood
25-01-07, 04:00 PM
or xe'ing it, but its been done

lol and having a 1.6 16v hasn't been done?

If you want something unique you need to think about fitting 20 petrol lawnmower engines or something. Most normal engines will have been in a nova.

There's nothing "special" about an XE nova, but there's nothing special about a 1.6 8v either lol

jord4n
25-01-07, 04:07 PM
lol and having a 1.6 16v hasn't been done?

yes it has, just its something thats a bit easyer to do then the xe, but going to the trouble of changing the engine and not thinking "biger is better" is hard.

iv always liked having a standard car so, just toying with idears atm, i did like rallymans build tho, im just waiting to see how reliable his is.

Matt2107
25-01-07, 04:10 PM
mini xe is the same trouble as a standard xe isnt it?

wisewood
25-01-07, 04:11 PM
1.0 12v. DO IT.

jord4n
25-01-07, 04:23 PM
mini xe is the same trouble as a standard xe isnt it?

u mean tansponder, wireing ect. mouts are the same for 16se and 16xe so are the shafts.

Matt2107
25-01-07, 04:25 PM
What i meant was fitting a baby valver involves same amount of work as fitting a proper valver

jord4n
25-01-07, 04:35 PM
1.0 12v. DO IT.
may be 2 for them molded in to a 2l v6 24v

What i meant was fitting a baby valver involves same amount of work as fitting a proper valver
maybe im wrong but id still chose the 16xe over 20xe for ease of fitting

Mikey_J
25-01-07, 09:36 PM
Im gona get some stick for this but anyway here it goes.. just over a year and a half ago when i passed my driving test i got a nova for my 1st car..It was a 89 f plate 1.2 flair.It was pretty bog standard apart from the wheels i put on it and a few other bits and pieces.Anyway stupidly i wrote it off as every 17yr old lad does and then bought a fiat! BIG MISTAKE! to cut a long story short i flogged that after a while bought my tigra which i still have now and im still not happy with my car! Even tho my nova wasnt all that great it was a beast and im sure you feel the same about your car, so dont get rid of it restore it instead coz old skool rocks lol!lol

Jack
25-01-07, 10:26 PM
Your problem there was you replaced the Nova with a car thats worse, i.e. the fiat (and arguably the tigra too lol)

Ste L
25-01-07, 10:31 PM
Hope my GT-4 passes first time next month although its doubtful. Mines a H-reg on 148k incidentally.

However back on topic, i'd personally keep the Nova, I regretted selling my runabout valver Nova to buy the GT-4 immediately but it was too late then. The only reason I sold it was because the MOT was due, what a mistake.

thought you was having loads of problems with that lee, before you sold it, hence wanting to get rid, knew it was partly due to mot too

remember changing box on that, in the pissing rain, what a fun day that was lol