PDA

View Full Version : sri cutting out at junctions

SRI crazy
25-01-07, 12:21 PM
hey hav a 92 sri car starts perfectly when cold when u drive it for a while and it gets a bit of heat when u go to change gear or stop at junctions it cuts out. starts straight up again and drives ok, any ideas.

seen some similar problems on here wuld it b the idle control valve?

hendrix
25-01-07, 12:46 PM
are you running a digi dash?? iirc epo who was on here back in the day had the same problem but never did solve it. Sounds electical to me.

craig green
25-01-07, 01:16 PM
Anything to do with the speed sensor on the gearbox?

This tells the ECU when the car stops & idles etc. Perhaps its faulty.

SRI crazy
25-01-07, 01:37 PM
naw i am jus running the normal dash. where is the speed sensor on the gearbox and how does this affect the running?

craig green
25-01-07, 01:48 PM
Its under where the speedo cable exits the to of the g/box. Its got 2 or 3 wires which feed the ECU. They tell the ECU when you are stationary & moving etc. Obviously when you are approaching the junction the engine is under load, when you stop you come off the accelerator & the ECU uses the signal from the g/box to operate the idle valve to keep the engine running with no throttle.

maybe yours has failed or the wires have chaffed. Just a suggestion.

SRI crazy
25-01-07, 01:57 PM
kk i had a thread on here a while bk coz the car wasnt goin rite and i changed all the senders in the inlet manifold mayb this wuld be the problem? so when i wuld come off the power the sender is sendn a wrong signal and cutting the engine?

craig green
25-01-07, 02:01 PM
Yes but the speed sensor is on the top of the gearbox v-near the gear linkage.

I'm only suggesting it could be that, symptoms sound possible.

SRI crazy
25-01-07, 02:10 PM
kk i hav a 93 astra with the same engine i was out in her last nite an she did the same an then i sat 4 a minute and jus kept a slight rev bou 1000 rpm an then she startd 2 idle again if that is any clearer symptoms lol

SRI crazy
25-01-07, 02:11 PM
also is there an adjustn screw for the idle to under the throttle lever? it is missin off mines wuld that hav any effect?

Adam
25-01-07, 03:26 PM
It should either be the idle valve.
Or the speed sensor as CG suggests.

The speed sensor not working at all tho would usually bring the engine management light on.

ReeceH
25-01-07, 05:13 PM
haha, i have the same stupid problem with my 1.2. as i down gear i cuts out for about a second then kicks in again

craig green
25-01-07, 05:32 PM
1.2i has a speed sensor too, funnily enough I'm off to my soon to be scrapped 1.2 to get said sensor as I need it for my XE project.

SRI crazy
26-01-07, 11:47 PM
aye i was out in it 2nite an the light did come on. also when i lifted off the throttle a couple of times it backfired. a fella said he had problema with the btm crank sensor in a couple of them?

justnovas
26-01-07, 11:57 PM
Get it plug in and see if any codes see if speed sensor is working.

SRI crazy
01-02-07, 08:53 AM
hey lafs got thge problem fixed, got the codes in the brain read and it told me btm crank sensor, changed it and it was still the same, then i found the screw in the manifold for adjusting the idle was missing, got one put it and hey presto problem sorted, so final conclusion was when the throttle was closed it cut off the air supply,

thanx for your help guys, and hav a btm cranksensor for sale ?15 if anybody needs one, thanx