PDA

View Full Version : SPAX -40mm springs

Anonymous
19-07-01, 08:59 AM
I want to use a set of these with standard shocks, how much are they worth second hand? bout ?35 is that good?

Ive heard things about these springs where they dont lower the back quite properley, and have poor handling.

any thoughts guys? i really wanna buy these

Anonymous
19-07-01, 10:13 AM
with nova's and lowering it's usually the front that sits higher than the back?

anyway...which ever end sits higher, lop a coil off and get the car sitting level.

if it's the front sitting higher, cut the bump stop down a tad, to get things level (like Micky's done)

Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk
Nova Community & Hidden Cameras in a Sunbed Parlour!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 10:47 AM
nope, my nova squats at the front more than the back, same with my friends. DONT cut the springs whatever you do, its a bodge job, if you want it lower the back more buy another set of springs or get them reprofiled. As for the bump stops they do nothing for ride height of the car at all, they simply stop the shocks from bottoming out hard. The reason you cut down the bump stops is because the lower you have the car, the more likley it is to hit the bumpstops. Therefore you cut them down if you want a little bit extra of suspension travel.

FOR SALE:
1 of my Kidneys...
Must sell due to bad debts!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Anonymous
19-07-01, 11:16 AM
Yep, dont cut back springs, tis bad, basically, if u do, they will fook up.

I think most kits lower the front more than the back, this is because the front settle quicker with having a driver in, and not havin rear passengers as much.

Easy solution? Put some weight in the boot, i am gonna use sand bags, put pressure on the springs, help them settle in.

Really u need the weight of a person in the boot if u can, that will help, i know it took mickys springs nearly a year to settle in the rear, so my way kinda speeds up the process.

HTH.

Anonymous
19-07-01, 11:25 AM
Why pay that sort of money second hand when u can get a new set for ?60

Ease Yourself Back Into Conciousness !!!!!
:D

Anonymous
19-07-01, 11:38 AM
Well i thought that buying second hand, the springs would have settled a bit.

Also, theyre not that old i dont think - just a bit of the surface paint is loose/chipped/worn, so why buy new if i can get second hand?

So what do you guys reckon bouts manufacturer and price? spax -40 for ?35, whatya reckon??? cheers

Anonymous
19-07-01, 11:46 AM
i sold my Jamex -40mm springs for ?20 if thats any comparison.

FOR SALE:
1 of my Kidneys...

Anonymous
19-07-01, 12:15 PM
Hmmmmmm, depends, why are they selling? how old are they?

I recon you should get some new ones really, always best with stuff like this, in my opinion.

I think a gmax set is bout 70 notes, and a full kit is ?200, so if u got the cash, u mite aswell spent it (hmmmm, so thats how i am 2k in debt, damn)

Anonymous
19-07-01, 01:06 PM
i better go and inform my mate to get sum new springs, cos he cut them down :O

thought it would be ok, but obviously not!

Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk
Nova Community & Hidden Cameras in a Sunbed Parlour!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 01:11 PM
That Gmax kit for ?200, is that for the front and back and including shocks for front and back??!?!? what lowering is that? I want to lower mine by 60mm when it is all back on the road again, but I dont want to use just springs, I want the whole lot.

Nice car, what's the retail on that?
More than you can afford buddy....Ferrari!

smoke him!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 01:46 PM
Ged......the old modifiers trick of years gone by was to cut the springs, which is fine if you don't mind fooking up the handling, which didn't matter so much when they started doing it in the 50's!

The other way, is not to cut them down, but to heat them up with a blow torch, and re-shape, to bend the top coil flatter...I know what I mean...just not explaining it very well!

Mike......I'd personally go for new stuff, as my Puma springs were only ?49 new from Larkspeed, and are mint combined with standard shocks, but there's not a lot that can go wrong with springs,so should be ok second hand....just check for obvious cracks if possible.......I've broken a spring in the past, so it can happen.

If they're coming off a crashed job, they could be damaged, so just make sure.

MKII Nova Brochure scans to be added to www.novabug.co.uk soon!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 02:43 PM
jk, the gmax kits are ?250 for 35mm. the new kit out is the Apex Racing. they do a complete set of springs and dampers for about ?200 (-60) ive got their springs on gmax front shocks and corsa sport rears and im quite impressed with the handling off the car now

FOR SALE:
1 of my Kidneys...

Anonymous
19-07-01, 02:49 PM
The GMax kit is 4 shox, 4 springs, its ?200, and i dunno if thats jus my local shops place, or a general price, if it is, tell me & i will order you a set in at Revolution in newcastle, i can bring it to billing if you want?

Also, i can get a bit of discount from being in the PNG, so that shud b a bit cheaper.

Let me know.

Anonymous
19-07-01, 03:11 PM
Mark, I will let you know either tomorrow or monday, I have a bloke coming over from a garage to look at my car tonight and he is basically gonna tell me what I need to get to repair it and how much it will cost to get the bodywork straightened. Once I know all this I can then start buying the bits I want.

cheers
John

Nice car, what's the retail on that?
More than you can afford buddy....Ferrari!

smoke him!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 07:59 PM
Ged what u on bout my nova sits lower at the front (by far..) so does ever other nova i know of. + never cut springs , can be dangerous!!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 08:58 PM
The G max kit is whart I have just fitted (-60) it's ace for #200.U can either lower it 40 or 60m with these kits and thereace:-)

STOP.............................................. .........................................CARRY ON!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 10:57 PM
Blimey Breeny, a dose of my workshop and you've turned into a hard core techy! I'm impressed:>