PDA

View Full Version : Aaarrggh the dreaded rust!!

Anonymous
18-07-01, 07:01 PM
Just spent all my money gettin rid of ALL the rust on my nova..Or so I thought!! Was changin the suspension to my new G max kit and just noticed that the plates which hold the springs in at the rear are v rusty.One has almost disapeared!V dangerous!! Anyway is this normal and how much are these bits roughly??

STOP.............................................. .........................................CARRY ON!

Anonymous
18-07-01, 08:02 PM
ut oh! Get the welder out! This is usually a sign that the Rear chassis legs are shot. But not a guarantee. Mine had a small rust hole, so I plated over mine. A nightmare welding though because there was hardly any metal left! You could try getting the upper mount for the spring, but then you need to have something to weld it to!! Check around the chassis legs for further rust. I've just finished rebuilding mine. It can be fixed, I've fixed mine, but it's a ball ache, most people will quote v. high prices to fix it because it's a ball ache..

Anonymous
18-07-01, 08:16 PM
Not too worried about weldin costs as I know a good welder who will do it chep cheep (handy that ownin a nova and all) I'm sure it can't be that bad a sThe rest of the car is in good nick.There was v little rust on it when m and a mechanic mate checked it a month ago.we checked it for the mot next september so I hope it ain't too bad.!!

STOP.............................................. .........................................CARRY ON!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 06:14 PM
i just bought a nova sr, and aparently it had the same problem. the bloke told me after i gave him my money that i had been welded in the rear suspension. ive got a reciept, and it only cost him ?50 to get it fixed, so it wont cost much at all if youve got a mate who can do it. but make sure you get a proffesional to do it, as it could be extremely dangerous, and is definately a MOT failure! so be carefull!

Anonymous
19-07-01, 09:01 PM
Got it wrong.It seems it was some other part??I dunno but it's unrusty was just missin somebit of rubber or summit.My mechanic mate sorted it and the new kits nice:D