PDA

View Full Version : Tips for removing rusty bolts etc!!!

Anonymous
21-07-01, 09:52 AM
I am doing loads of stuff on my car at the moment and without fail, the last nut or bolt that I need to remove always seems to be rusted on!!! anybody got any tips or ideas on how to get them off without cutting or anything.

cheers
John

Nice car, what's the retail on that?
More than you can afford buddy....Ferrari!

smoke him!

Anonymous
21-07-01, 10:06 AM
loads of penetrating oil (not WD40 although it will work but takes longer) its oil with a gas in it so it bubbles ito the joint of the thread and bolt. or sheer it off and then get a stud remover :D but thats not quite what you want

HTH

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
21-07-01, 10:21 AM
Cheers bud, I have left the nuts soaking in WD40 since yesterday, when I finish work I will see if they are movable!!! if not, someone mentioned heating them up with a blowtorch or something and as my dad is a Jewellery supplier, he has small gas torches for silver smithing and I was wondering if they would be okay?!!?

Nice car, what's the retail on that?
More than you can afford buddy....Ferrari!

smoke him!

Anonymous
21-07-01, 10:52 AM
get the vice grips on it and if all else fails drill it out.

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk
Dave_Hay5@hotmail.com

send nova and mk3 astra gsi pics my way for my attempt at web design.

Anonymous
21-07-01, 05:17 PM
how do u get the vice grips on say a wishbone bolt without dragging the car in the garage by the scruff of its neck?
LOL

best bit is use good fitting tools and lots ov oil and knuckle protectors!!!

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
22-07-01, 03:16 PM
There's only one cure - oxy -acetylene torch and heat up red hot! Assuming you aint got this buy some high quality "impact"sockets and some high quality open end/ ring spanners. These are beefed up hex shaped to fit exactly. They are fuck off hard bastard tools and sold by the likes of Snap On. They will grip where others wont and the nut will either undo or break off. Try backing the nuts off a bit by re tightening occasionally during the loosening process

Anonymous
22-07-01, 04:51 PM
I used the heating method!!!!! Spent a couple of hours changing the entire rear axle beam today!!!! but it is finally done. :D

Nice car, what's the retail on one of those?
More than you can afford pal....Ferrari!

smoke him!

Anonymous
23-07-01, 12:17 PM
i got a ?100 halfords set and a big hammer
i've not failed with any jobs yet apart from removing one of ians drive shafts cause i didn't have a pry bar
i hope u didn't refit the venoms to the axel X-(

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
23-07-01, 03:58 PM
had to refit them for now!! spending all my cash on 2.0 16v engine!!!(oh and straightening the bodywork!!lol!)
As soon as I can I will get rid of the wheels!!!

Nice car, what's the retail on one of those?
More than you can afford pal....Ferrari!

smoke him!

Anonymous
23-07-01, 04:44 PM
venoms look mint as fuck, i cant see peeps problems with them.

Anybody lend me ?599?
[-numberplate.jpg-]
www.pugtek.net/pubes.asp

Anonymous
23-07-01, 07:34 PM
LOL

Micky@novaload.net :)