PDA

View Full Version : Few DCOE questions

Adam
22-01-07, 06:18 PM
1/Is it worth having a twin cable linkage? The current throttle plate attached to a "lotus" type lever, which the cable pull from towards to thebulkhead to the slam panel, instead of the usual left to right.
It has holes for twin cables, but one cable costs less, so can you do with one?

2/Filters, either the pipercross sausage type filters, or K&N, the carbs currently have what i'd guess is 40mm trumpets. Whats the largest depth K&Ns that fit?

3/The choke cold start mechanism, is that worth fitting a cable to and using, or just have no choke?

4/Does anyone have there carb choke/jet sets for a 1.4 8v engine, SE head, kent ast2 etc engine spec?Would you mind posting them so i could compare them to mine, want to make sure the current setup will at least run the engine.

Sorry about the essay lol
:)

Dan
22-01-07, 07:20 PM
dont know if any of what i say will be any use, but i have always ran a twin linkage setup and prefer it that way, but then on 2 occasions in my time using 40's i have had one snap so the back up has always been a god send. i think just one can be used if it adds no side strain on the linkage (i run the left to right one, cant picture yours to say for defo :confused: )

the trumpets i run are 16mm ones which on mine are ample, and the given minimum space between inside face of filter and face of trumpet should be 14mm as far as i remember. I have always used the sausage type filter, pipercross made one that was perfect and slim to fit inbetween the carbs and the bulkhead if this still remains when using the smaller trumpets. if the bulkhead is removed then you can get a larger one that makes the most of the extra room. I prefered this style as you only had the 4 faces of a filter and all four ports share the same space rather than like the k&n types that are 2 individual filters thus making a thick wall to filter through in the middle of the pair ( if that makes any sense) I think i have pics of the 2 different sausage types i have used during the years if you want me to pm them ?

With reference to a choke, i have never ever needed one, even in sub zero temperatures when mine was an everyday drive, just 3 pumps of the throttle before firing the car up lead to a clean crisp start.

Adam
22-01-07, 07:29 PM
If you could PM me the pics Dan that would be cool.

Think i'll need shorter trumpets to fit filters then, mine are 38mm.

This is my linkage, i think its best to run a twin cable, as it looks like one cable has strained the linkage and made it sit further over to one side.
Do both cables attach to the throttle pedal fine?

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/bf/64/cd_1_b.JPG

Cheers for the reply.

Mike
22-01-07, 08:01 PM
both cables do attach to the pedal fine when using those funny little block shaped things

the only experience ive got is in using a Sport setup tho tbh, with a single cable centre linkage, but that was mint tbh

Adam
23-01-07, 12:13 AM
So you need the pedal block to fit the cables then?

Mike
24-01-07, 05:47 PM
So you need the pedal block to fit the cables then?

yes mate

Adam
24-01-07, 06:30 PM
Ok, cheers mike.

Im going have a look see if i can get away with a pedal block,Lol.

Any info on how to check the carbs are a matching pair?
Is it the TIPO number? 40DCOE*** etc

Zeo
24-01-07, 09:56 PM
wow they have really cleaned up well, a far cry from when i sent them to you fresh off the car.

Adam
25-01-07, 12:25 AM
wow they have really cleaned up well, a far cry from when i sent them to you fresh off the car.
Nah, Lol.

Thats a pic i robbed off ebay lol

I have started clean them tho, and they should clean up alrate with some hard graft,Lol.