PDA

View Full Version : Engine mods

Anonymous
29-06-01, 11:29 AM
Ok, here goes...

Got a 1400SR, 1991, MK2, got weber 32/34, K&N, scorpion stainless system.

Now i want more power, i know we have talked about this before, but i have heard some new bits of info.

I have heard to get a 1200 head, with big valves & no porting or polishing.

Get an Ashley manifold. - Will i get a 14, or 12 manifold, cos of port sizes?

Get a Kent AST2 or AST3 cam, uprated springs & new lifters, which will be best for 0-60, as not too bothered about top end.

Is that all i need, if i wanted to go a step further, but not as far as twin 40's, as insurance won't let me.

So is the info above correct, is there anything else i shuld do to compliment the above changes?

Cheers for the info. ;)

Anonymous
29-06-01, 04:30 PM
hmmm, must be too hard for the techies, Ste, MC, CP, anyone?

Any ideas, even if its only a little bit of info, oh, and what inlet manifold do i use?

Remeber i have a weber, which is for a 1400, so will i need an adapter plate for the 1200, if i need a 1200 maifold?

cheers.

Anonymous
29-06-01, 05:01 PM
Be patient or u wont get anything! lol.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
29-06-01, 06:54 PM
lmao
easy tiger!!!!!!!
mark the weber will go onto a 1.3 sr inlet manifold which should be a better fit for the 1.2 head
now the cam

u need to see sum figures and go for whatever gives u more low down grunt

im not sure about 1.2 heads though?????

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
29-06-01, 09:50 PM
lmao@MC

MC is currently checking his mammoth "Nova encyclodedia@ to find you the best info :)

"Beware of the voices"

Anonymous
29-06-01, 11:20 PM
well he is takin too long, hurry up!

lol.

I heard sum1 benchflowed a 1400, 1300 & 1200 head & the 1200 head came out on top.

Anonymous
29-06-01, 11:31 PM
I'm please if that's true, 'cos I've got a 1.2 head on my 1.3
I know it gives higher compression, but don't know about the benchflow results.

Anonymous
30-06-01, 11:59 AM
Ring Blydenstein on 01763 272866. He will tell u exactly what can and cant be done.

From my own experience, bigger valves are def. the way to go & the 1.4 head performs well with this treatment however it will cost u.
Most important:
1. Bigger modified inlet valves and porting around the valve throats and inlet ports.
2. Bigger bore zorst - to save money keep std 1.4 manifold and add a Jetex system
3. Carbs.
4. Cam
5. Larger zorst valve

Make sure all mods are matched ie inlet manifold to head, zorst manifold to head etc.
In my youth they reckoned on older cars you could get and extra 5% just by doin this and nothing else

Benchflow figures for heads are a guide or starting point and need to be backed up by dyno-ing running engine tests.

There u go - sorry for the delay! :D

Anonymous
02-07-01, 03:12 PM
Heads - 1400 is most restrictive. It has very small ports, and you are limited to how much porting can be done because the water jackets are very close. The 1300 head from what I can gather is very good for flow. The ports are even larger than that of a 1600 and it is an excellent base for some head work. As for the 1200, the flow might be marginal but the compression is where it is at. I`d personally get the 1300 head and if you can afford it let Blydenstein work his magic. I`ve seen a few modified heads now, and the workmanship is far superior to any of them. Once you`ve done that, you can get the matching inlet manifold and your carb will sit straight on. The 1.4 and 1.6 share the same exhaust manifold, so I would guess the 1300 does too, but make sure b4 u do it. If you get head work done with bigger valves, you will have to port it. The ports need enlarging so that there isnt a huge step to the new larger valves. Porting by an expert will make a huge difference, but I agree about not bothering with polishing. Its not needed and if used on the inlet it will reduce power. As for the cam most will improve power but depends on how far you want to go and if you want to sacarafice driveability. If you can wait a couple of weeks, I`m going to be swapping my Courtenay cam for a rally version which works well with 40`s. I`m prepaired for it to be lumpy coz I just want balls out performance and aint worried about practicallity.

Any help?

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
02-07-01, 03:28 PM
Very much so.

Thanks, all you need to do is paragraph your text, so i can read it.

lmao, only jokin.

Soooooo, is this courtney cam for sale?

So, 1300 head, big valves, porting, machined zorst, inlet menifolds.

Cam, new followers, uprated springs.

4 branch manifold (ashley, ?90?)

You got prices from Mr billy for the head work, jus cos u know wot i need
(well, i think you know what i need, cos if u dont know wot i need, i wont know wot i need :-/ erm)

Anyway, cheers for the info, will be getting everything sorted begining of next month(pay time! :D)

Anonymous
02-07-01, 03:28 PM
Very much so.

Thanks, all you need to do is paragraph your text, so i can read it.

lmao, only jokin.

Soooooo, is this courtney cam for sale?

So, 1300 head, big valves, porting, machined zorst, inlet menifolds.

Cam, new followers, uprated springs.

4 branch manifold (ashley, ?90?)

You got prices from Mr billy for the head work, jus cos u know wot i need
(well, i think you know what i need, cos if u dont know wot i need, i wont know wot i need :-/ erm)

Anyway, cheers for the info, will be getting everything sorted begining of next month(pay time! :D)

Anonymous
02-07-01, 03:30 PM
oops, pressed it twice.

lmao, voopsie, silly me.

Anonymous
02-07-01, 03:46 PM
For the enlarged valves and wasted stems, porting etc ?460 (B+). He also does one that doesnt use larger exhaust valves (B) which is a bit cheaper. With this and your other mods u should be looking at very quick 1400.

As for the ex manifold I`m not sure which is best, but it might be worth using some heat insulation coz even though they raise peak power, they can sometimes loose a bit of low down torque due to heat loss causing the gasses to slow.

2 paragraphs there. You could try using more than one sentence per paragraph if you want? I spose this is another paragrath so three in total.

Paragraph no.4 - I`m gonna see if I can afford to get the new cam this month. I`m not sure if I can coz I`ve got take my crank out and fit new main bearing shells. If you do want it, I`ll only want about 50 squids for it but you will have to arrange collection or delivery.

Any better?

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
02-07-01, 04:09 PM
Much better old bean, i say, your grammar is getting rather good, tally ho!

lmao.

Cheers for the info, will purchase a B+ methinks.

Will get ashley manifold, with some heat wrap.

Cam sounds good, u sellin the followers etc with it, or jus the bare cam?

If i got the bare cam off you, i would need uprated followers, or would i just need new ones?

Aswell as that, would i need the uprated springs?

Anything else to boost the power?

Dont want twin 40's, bit obvious for the insurance.

cheers again boyo.

Anonymous
02-07-01, 04:25 PM
Sort your brakes if you aint already done cos you are gonna need them.
If you go for the B+ job i think you may find that the carb will be too restrictive to be cost effective?? MC? Tch Rally cams ..whatever next?

Anonymous
02-07-01, 04:39 PM
I got nova gsi(vented) calipers, with grooved disks, i am uprating to drilled & grooved with greenstuff pads.

Got a weber 32/34 if that will work ok?

Should be better than the std peirburg?

Would lightening the flywheel be any good?

If i am doing the mentioned, what std parts should i replace? there must be something that goes easy, the car has 115k on it, so i know most gaskets & seals need done anyway, crank case oil seal has gone, think i need to take sump off.

Anything i can do while its in peices? not too expensive tho!

Cheers boys.

Anonymous
02-07-01, 05:02 PM
:P, soz cant b arsed to type wat i was gonna say. lol.

may b l8er...

>:) D.E.V.I.L. >:)

Anonymous
02-07-01, 05:30 PM
This is MC.

The standard springs and followers will be o.k. Thats all I`ve ever used and they have been fine. Just buy new followers. and re-use the other stuff from your existing set-up.

I wouldnt bother with the flywheel. Its the sort of thing you need when you are at the extreme end of tuning and you are gonna want to rev to silliy rpm`s. Your choice though.

Anonymous
03-07-01, 12:04 AM
Cool, so can i have more info on the cam, deff interested.

Like wot is the range, how lold/miles

Anything u mite think i shud know.

Anonymous
03-07-01, 10:30 AM
So so far the spec is gonna be..

Billie B+ head, 1300, large valves, ported and so on.

Courtenay cam (if MC sells it) - new followers & uprated springs

Weber 32/34

Scorpion stainless system(getting centre box taken out)

Ashley manifold, heat wrap applied.

Anything else, is the above ok?

What about one of those vernier pullies & uprated belt? Or the funky uprated head gaskets from demon tweeks motorsport catalogue?

Cheers for the info.

Anonymous
03-07-01, 10:39 AM
I really dont think u need uprated springs unless you plan to rev above 7500. A std GM gasket is good enough (not a cheap after market one). Std Cam belt is good enough, and the vernier pulley is nice, but will only squeeze an extra bhp or so. The courtenay cam and piper both run at std valve timing so should not need adjusting. I havent done it yet coz I`d rather spend the extra ?80 on the extra insurance for my 40`s.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
03-07-01, 10:50 AM
Nice one, so this is the (almost) final spec:

Courtenay cam (if MC sells it)

Weber 32/34

And thats it? sorted, wot bhp u recon i might get? I really wanna try and keep up with my mates gsi, and i wanna beat my mates sri.

Is there anything at all that i could do to squeeze a few more bhp out of the engine?

Cheers MC, sorry for keeping u from your work ;)

Anonymous
03-07-01, 11:03 AM
You can squeeze more out, but it comes down to how much you want to spend, like the vernier giving 1bhp or so, you just gotta weigh it up.

You will deinately see off std SRi`s, and as long as your mates GSI isnt too heavily modified you should be able to beat that also, but be careful coz it dont take much to start improving a GSi. My friends GSi was only a little bit slower than my heavily modded 1400 after he had done the usual filter, zorst and manifold, pbv, etc etc etc...

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
03-07-01, 11:08 AM
cool.

So any ideas on ruff bhp?

How old is your cam, i am deff interested, if u goin to july billing i will give the cash to sum1 & they will get it off u, or i can come and pick it up one weekend, whatever you want.

Just want bit of info, like the rev range, how old, increase and owt else.

So u think the car will go nice with all the above on?

Anything else i will be able to beat once i get it done?

Cheers again MC, no get back to work!

lmao

Anonymous
03-07-01, 11:28 AM
For cam info go to www.courtenaysport.co.uk I think they say 12bhp extra but I doubt that very much.

I`d say its done about 9k miles but I can give exact figures when I get to my records. The cam has a mark on one of the lobes from when the 1400 went pop, but it runs with the lobe, and has no effect on the lift or cams performance. It runs quietly. Thats why I only want about ?50 for it. I paid ?175 6 months ago and I`ve always used Mobil 1 oil with it on new followers so its been treated very well. I`m not sure when I can afford to buy the rally cam so Billing might not be possible, but I will let you know.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
03-07-01, 11:52 AM
Aslong as the cam sounds ok, runs ok & dosnt have any compremise on performance, its sold.

If you dont change it before July billing, i will be going to august billing, and i will have a caravan for a week, so i would be closer to travel, again, if thats no good, there is always trax.

But at the end of the day, its a bargain, so i would prob travel down to get it.

Thats another thing i will do once all the gear is on the car & its running sweet, mobil one, gonna do as many gaskets & seals as i can, i heard someone mention big end bearings or caps, are these worth changing?

I know i need a new cam, fuel pump, followers, head, head gasket, gasket set, crank case oil seal, clutch, cam cover gasket, but is there anything else i should change?

Like i say, i will prob be getting most of the stuff at the end of the month, when i get paid, i might as well use the banks overdraft while i got 2% intrest.

Sorted, cheers for all the infoMC, i owe u a pint at billing/trax/your local!

Anonymous
03-07-01, 02:39 PM
If you just buy a head gasket set and a sump gasket set, you will have all of the seals and gaskets you need except the rocker gasket which is about ?1.60. Unless your fuel pump is broken there is no need to change it. I`m still using the 1.4 one on my 1600 at around 150ish bhp with no problems.

I`d only touch the big ends if you think there is actually a problem, or if you are changing your piston rings. If not, you will be disturbing it all, need to bed it in and will loose a little peak power for thousands of miles.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
03-07-01, 02:47 PM
sorted, cheers yet again.

The fuel pump is the reason i need to change the cam, is bust & marking the cam at high revs(so i've been told)

So head gasket set & sump gasket set is all i need to do, bar the rocker cover.

Big ends was only an idea.

What about valve stem oil seals, i know these were an arse on my xr2, are they worth doin?

I have been told i may need to do the piston rings, as compression has been building up in the engine, due to the oil breather filter, it blocked up & oil came from everywhere!

Will i be running anywhere near the 100bhp mark with al those mods?

I take it it would be worth getting the car rolling roaded once its all done?

Cheers matey.

Anonymous
03-07-01, 02:54 PM
Yes definately get it on the rollers, and I`d imagine you would be over 100bhp easily.

Valve stem seals - Good point. In a genuine GM head gasket set you dont get em, and you will need them. Aftermarket ones will be good enough. When you get the head back from BB, you will need to put the valves back in the head and use new seals then. They will be ready lapped in and numbered as to their position.

If your car smokes under acceleration then u will need to do your rings, otherwise probably not. You could always do a compression test to make sure.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
03-07-01, 03:05 PM
Over 100????

fookin hell, wasnt expecting that much!

Will be well chuffed if i get that much!!

Is a std GM clutch up to the job, or is it worth gettin a black diamond, or a diff one?

So now, its as follows, add, delete any you want.

Weber 32/34

head set(GM), Sump set(GM), rocker gasket, valve stem oil seals, Fuel pump, mobil 1.

Anything else, at all that might be worth doing while its in bits?

Ok, ok i owe u 2 pints, but only if u aint driving! ;)

Anonymous
03-07-01, 04:26 PM
Oh, i know we may have discussed this a while ago, but i am gonna ask again, bottom end lightening, is it worth the hassle?

I know the whole engine has to be stripped, i was just wondering if that would be worth doing with the above?

Cheers.

Anonymous
04-07-01, 01:36 PM
I can see you MC, common, wot u recon?

U only need to answer these & then i will leave u alone, for today.

lmao.

Cheers for all the info & cheers for u gonna sell me the cam(i hope)

Anonymous
05-07-01, 08:50 AM
Ok, changed my mind, don't need info on bottom end lightening, too much work for what i am gona be using the engine for, mebbies if i was going to track days more often.

You recon its worth changing to a performance clutch to cope with the power?

At the moment there is a dodgy copy clutch in, which i can hear slipping when i boot it, so i will prob change to either a perfomance one like black diamond, or go to GM & buy a proper one.

Are the black diamond clutches ok, had any experiance with them, or is there a better one to use?

Cheers Boys.

Anonymous
05-07-01, 09:36 AM
GM one is a superb clutch, so no need to use a performance one.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
05-07-01, 09:41 AM
My mate at main dealer vauxhall has offered to do all the work for me, i should have asked how much he wanted tho, but at least i know it will be done properly, he is a good mech.

I didnt have time to ask him what else i should have done, so for one, last, final time, just to make sure, is there anything, at all, i should think about changing?

The list so far is:

Weber 32/34

head set(GM), Sump set(GM), rocker gasket, valve stem oil seals, Fuel pump, GM clutch, mobil 1.

Is there any advantage in me getting the flywheel lightened? I know someone who will do it for 50 notes.

Cheers MC, all i need now is a cam off someone...

lol.

cheers, wont bother you again.

Anonymous
05-07-01, 02:06 PM
I have just been offered a B+ head, second hand, i have asked for more info, but is it ok to buy a 2nd hand head?

Also he has a weber 36/36, would this be better than the 32/34 that is on at the mo?

cheers for the info.

Mark.

Anonymous
05-07-01, 02:15 PM
Second hand head will be fine, but check that it isnt warped. Have a general look over it and make sure it is what it says on the tin. Look carefully at the inlet valve stems, and you should see a very definate narrowing of the stem all of the way down to the valve face. Change the stem seals if you use it. As for a weber 36/36, in theory it should be better coz its chokes are both larger, and it will need setting up for your car. Check that it will fit, and make sure there wont be a step between carn and manifold. It will be very thursty though.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
05-07-01, 04:58 PM
Right, the lad says he has the receipt for 500 notes, but i am waiting for more info, like is it off a 1400.

The carb has been modded to fit an astra, but i dont think i will bother with it, too much hassle.

Don't suppose u know where i can get a foto of one of bills heads, so i can check it?

cheers matey, hurry up & save up for a new cam!

lol.

NEW FOOTER!

-------------------------
-----\__-----------------
----/___\?_____----------
~=|(_)_______(_)\--------
Racer stylee!-------------------------------------

Anonymous
05-07-01, 05:04 PM
I`ll take one 2night of my mullered one. Not sure how well it will come out. I think I have already taken the valves out of the 1400 one that I have got, so if I can get a good pic you will see what to look for.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

The original footer, not a cheap immitation!

Anonymous
05-07-01, 05:49 PM
Cheers MC, i got mail back off him, this is what he says:

Well, Its a B+ job from Bill Blydenstein, flowed & ported, and oversize
valves C/W receipt and gasket advice from Blydenstein. Originally from a
1.4SR, it is a few months old, maybe 2000-3000 miles, so a little coke
build up [I mean a little as well], but good condition. just the work
alone cost ?475, I'd be looking for ?250.

That sound ok?

also, if anyone is interested:

Alternatively you could try this
36/36 that I have [both open at once - kick ass!]. I would do the whole
lot:
Brand new carb, unused.
Custom mounting plate,
Flowed [opened out] Astra inlet manifold, - also brand new
Custom one of Aluminum air box designed for ram air system,
All for only ?200 - can supply fuel pump as well if required.

MC, what do u recon of the head?

250 quid sounds ok for one that is a few months old, but do u know what the gasket advice is he is talkin about?

Cheers 4 this MC, i guess we are up to 3 pints now, if u keep this up, u will be pissed!

lmao.

Anonymous
06-07-01, 09:26 AM
Dont talk to me about pissed, I`m still a bit dodgy this mornin`.

The head sounds fine, but like I said check it anyway when you see it. To gain peak power the head needs to be coked up anyway, so dont worry about that. Its a good price aswell, but have you asked why he is sellin`?

The carb sounds like it would make your car fly, but if you start doing that it`ll bump the cost of running and insuring up so much, that you might aswell use 40`s. The line about both chokes opening together is bullshit. All twin choke carbs will open together if you put the pedal straight to the floor. You would definately notice a difference though. I wouldnt bother with custom air box and ram system though, as that would probably restrict flow even more.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
06-07-01, 09:35 AM
Cheers, will ask him & will post the reply as soon as i get it.

I wasnt too sure bout the carb set up thing, thought it was wrong.

Not gonna bother with the carb he got, like my weber, if i go easy(not open second choke) i get loads of miles, but i hardly ever do, cos it sounds sooooo nice :D

UPDATE: CLUTCH IS FCUKED.
bastard, slippin like a whore on vasaline.

NEXT STEP:
Buy GM clutch & sump kit, fit new clutch & while i am there, do the sump & check the oil pick up pipe & clean the bottom of the sump out.

Would there be any advantage to me doin my flywheel? i can get it done for 50 quid.

Cheers MC.

LOOK MAW - NO FOOTER!

Anonymous
06-07-01, 10:41 AM
Are u secretly trying to go after the longest post?

Flywheel if done properly will let the engine rev higher, smoother and quicker. You might loose a little torque uphill, but shouldn`t be too noticeable.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
06-07-01, 11:08 AM
Damn, how did u guess?

Longest post, with fewest peeps. lol.

Jus gettin as much info as i can, so i dont mess up.

Will think about the flywheel.

I asked for a pic of the head, waitin for him to get back to me.

Do u know if i gotta take the box out to do a crankcase oil seal thing?

It popped last time the clutch went.

AIM OF MODDING = STOP THE OIL LEAKS!

Anonymous
06-07-01, 11:14 AM
Right, here is his reply:

Ah, yes it's OK I understand, I'm not using the head so It's no bother.
I'm one of these greedy people who has two Blydenstien heads! - One was
meant to be a spare, for if I blow my race engine up. but I'm thinking |
could do with the money. I don't have a digi camera so it is not easy to
get u a photo. But you are always welcome to look at it first. It would be
mad to spend that kind of cash blind! So... I haven't sent off my booking
form for the PNG day yet, but I am planning to go, so If I've still got it,
and you r still interested, I could bring it with me for you to have a
look.

No worries about the carb - it is so good I doubt I'll have it for long! -
Have you modified the linkage on your 32/34DMTL so that both chokes open
simultaneously? - makes quite a difference. If you already have a lairy
cam and r looking for a free flowing head then you really could do with
dumping some more fuel into the equation! To ensure you get the best from
your mods. - a nice and cheap mod that not many people r aware of.
Nothing particularly special about the fuel pump. It is just a Brand new,
boxed Weber low pressure electric fuel pump. Low pressure, as in to suit
carb, not injection system. again with this, I have a "Red top" fuel pump
- slightly higher pressure about 7psi - over the top to be honest, but it
should mean that I never suffer fuel starvation to feed my 40's on full
throttle round corners on the track.

what u recon, sounds ok?

Think i might have a trip down to see him, in kent, at the end of the month.

Anonymous
06-07-01, 11:22 AM
Can you let me have his e-mail m8, coz I would like to chat to him and find out more about his mota. It sounds interestin.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
06-07-01, 11:47 AM
Hmmmm, u gotta promise not to steal my head mind!

lmao.

Its the least i can do, you gave me loads of help so far.

gareth@clarmac-cartem.co.uk

And if anyone else reads this, and tries to steal my head, i will come and find you.

Anonymous
06-07-01, 12:36 PM
oooooh is that the geezer who replied to your post on nova owners?

Anonymous
06-07-01, 12:41 PM
Yep, he still got some mad carb if u know anyone for it, sounds well beefy!

Just leave that head alone.

He lives in kent, which is a bit too far for me to travel, so we gonna have to meet up at august billing, or i will give the cash to micky & he can get it next weekend.

Anonymous
06-07-01, 01:06 PM
Kent aint too far for me...

Anonymous
06-07-01, 01:17 PM
Yep, but u int got ?250! :p

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
06-07-01, 01:27 PM
wanna bet on that mark :D it might not be mine but i do have that in my bank lol

Anonymous
06-07-01, 01:37 PM
Yes but your mum will spank u and send you to bed without any dinner!

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
06-07-01, 02:16 PM
Sorry if that was a joke, or not, but i can't stand peeps who go behind other peeps backs when it comes to car parts.

I just had it done to me, ok, it was only a pair of eyebrows, but the lad said i could have em, and my supposed mate went behind my back & bought them.

Its not very nice, so please, don't do it. I am at this moment sorting the cash, so Micky can get it for me next weekend.

You speak to him MC?

Clutch is now dead, cant do over 3k without slippage :(

Anonymous
06-07-01, 02:25 PM
Breeny isjust kiddin ya m8! He`s a top geezer. If he did do it, I might have to hold on to his ?900 Digi Camera!

I havent had time yet. I was interested in his comment about fuel pressure whilst cornering on track. I had a similar problem when I was going around Castle Combe. A couple of times when I cornered really hard, I had a momentary loss of power sounding like a miss-fire. This could be the cause. I think I might need to get a Fuel injection tank coz they have a swirl pot type thingy.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
06-07-01, 02:29 PM
Ok, it was justa general comment anyway, sorry if i offended u Breeny.

For crankcase oil seal, does engine have to come out?

Just spoke to Micky at dinner, he thinks it does, jus wanna double check, cos is a bit of an arse.

cheers.

Anonymous
06-07-01, 02:37 PM
lol s'ok mark, was only joking around :) MC - dont do anything i wouldnt do with that camera ;) heehee

Anonymous
06-07-01, 03:40 PM
U recon its worth gettin this weber fuel pump he got, says its for carbs, low pressure or summink, any good for what i need?

I am gonna have to get the clutch done next week, its well fucked, so if i get a sump kit, should i do the crank case oil seal aswell?

What is involved with doing the sump gasket set? just the one gasket?

Is it worth jet washin the sump when i take it off, like to clean it well, or just get as much out as i can?

Anything else worth doing when the clutch is out & sump is off?

Worth changin filter when i put new oil in, considerin that i will (hopefully) be changing head & cam later & will be using some nice new oil(mobil 1??)

cheers for info.

And Breeny, can i have a copy of the film wen u get the camera back? ;)

Anonymous
06-07-01, 03:56 PM
get a 1.2i tank with an in tank pump then drop the pressure with a reglator
and yes the 1.2i tanks have a swirl pot

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
06-07-01, 04:12 PM
What pressure does the 1.2i pump run at Ste?

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
12-07-01, 02:14 PM
Any news on the cam MC?

Am busy sorting my head & low pressure fuel pump out at the mo :D

?275 for B+ head, uprated springs, modified retainers, weber low pressure fuel pump.

Wot u recon?

I am gonna be flyyyyyyyyyin! wooo haaa!

Bye Bye Standard(ish) GSi!

lmao.

testies, testies one, two, three...

three???

wotttt the foooook?

:-/

Anonymous
12-07-01, 03:56 PM
The price sounds very good.

It might be a while, possibly a couple of months b4 I change mine. I`ve got a full bottom end re-build on at the moment which is gonna see me short of cash.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
12-07-01, 04:09 PM
D'oh.

Will wait for it, as long as i can have it, dont wanna wait, then not be able to have it!

Am gonna get head, clean it all up, store it, buy 4 branch of some kind, apply heat wrap, get your cam, and put it all on! woo hoo, rollin road here i come!

U said u think i will be close to 100bhp, so i shud be able to take on std gsi's?

I done the sump gasket yesterday, nowt in sump, all nice & clean, nowt in oil pick up pipe, spotty dawg.

Jus got that annoyin tapping noise, hope the cam, fuel pump & head will get rid of that, cos there aint much left after that!

U recon mebbies september for the cam then? Jus want a ruff idea, so i can keep some cash to one side.

Cheers matey, wey hey, over 60 posts!

three???

wotttt the foooook?

Anonymous
17-07-01, 11:56 AM
Shame i missed u & Cp on sat, u must have left earlyish, i bet u were jus hidin!

Anyways, i am savin up for your cam, so jus let me know when u takin it out.

The head i am hopfully getting has uprated springs in & modified followers, which sounds good. I think i may be getting it at the end of the month.

So...

B+ head,
Courtnay cam,
uprated followers & springs,
Weber 32/34 carb(large 2nd choke - 165 & 210),
K&N,
Scorpion stainless system,
4 branch manifold,
rolling road tune.

What you recon? over 100bhp?

cheers matey.

three???

wotttt the foooook?

Anonymous
18-07-01, 01:28 PM
U know this cam, i hear that some cars sit "lumpy" at idle, does this cam make the car sit lumpy? what revs does it sit at?

Been thinking again, cos if Mr Owens is selling his car, i may purchase his 40's if he aint puttin em on...hmmmmmmm, more power!!

Wot u recon, near 110bhp? will be nice, well fast! will it be the same sorta power as your old engine? what bhp was that again?

Cheers matey.

three???

wotttt the foooook?

Anonymous
18-07-01, 02:03 PM
You`re so desperate to know a power figure int ya. If I were u I would be unhappy if I didnt get over 100bhp from the mods you have planned.

It tends to only be extreme cams that give idle problems, and this one isn't. Its difficult to judge by my car how the cam effects idle coz I`ve got the twin 40`s on. Mine idles at 1000rpm and is almost as smooth as a std carbed motor. I drive it day to day with no problems.

If you go with the twin 40`s on that spec engine you will be looking at the 120bhp mark. Mine rr`d at a shade under 130 at Burnley but realisticly I think it would have been slightly lower on any other rr. The key though is the extra torque, and I think you wouldnt be far off of 140lb/ft which is what would see off the competition.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Anonymous
18-07-01, 02:34 PM
Woo hoo!

Thats a hellovalot of torque!

Cam sounds good, am still deciding on the 40's, depends what the insurance say.

I recon i would be a menace to all things bigger than me with that little lot, if i did get all of that, i recon next year, or even over winter i would strip the bitch down & lighten it all, pistons, crank, flywheel, replace anything i could, beastie!

Then lets see how fast she goes!

Any idea wen u gonan be gettin the cam out? september mebbies? Gonna keep 50squid to one side.

When the cam & head go on, i hear you have to "run" them in, at 3k for a few mins or summink? is that right?

Cheers again matey.

Whatever you do, dont ask me to get you beer from northampton, i will get lost! lmao.

three???

wotttt the foooook?

Anonymous
18-07-01, 04:17 PM
Right, micky is sellin the car for 2000, he has a vectra now, i think?

He is keepin the carbs on the car(arse) so i am keepin my single weber on for now, but i think next year, if i still have it, i will buy some webers and lighten the engine.

i could even buy some webers if they came up & then jus put em on next year....hmmmmmm

Sorted.

Anonymous
19-07-01, 12:13 AM
Right, its all decided, i am eiter gettin some new webers next year, second hand & lightening a bit, or full lighten.

sorted.