PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold heat wrapping????

benny f gsi,n it
21-01-07, 09:44 PM
hey everyone, just bought a new 4 branch manifold and was wondering if that exhaust heat wrapping is any good? any benifits other that looking good?

Stuart
21-01-07, 10:06 PM
if its an ashley manifold, dont wrap it as this can accelerate cracking

stuartp
21-01-07, 10:42 PM
its to help keep the heat were it should be and keeps the bay heat down ive just recived all mine so i'l get some pics up once its wrapped.

benny f gsi,n it
22-01-07, 12:27 AM
ok does it help prolong the life of the manifold (via ashley)

Adam
22-01-07, 12:29 AM
No, more heat leads to it weakening/cracking quicker.

benny f gsi,n it
22-01-07, 12:30 AM
ok so it keeps the engine bay cooler but the manifold hotter and looks good, waste of time really then?

Adam
22-01-07, 12:34 AM
It also improves gas flow speed through the manifold.

Stuart
22-01-07, 08:11 AM
but in a nova its very very marginal...........

heat isnt really an issue as there is tons of space in the bay to movae air about (sans big block), ashleys will crack faster (as i already said :wall:) when wrapped meh

Chris
22-01-07, 09:32 AM
I would say you will only fine it an advantage if you motor is tuned and gets rid of shed loads of hot gasses uber fast.

craig green
22-01-07, 09:45 AM
Does the Ashley manifold crack as a matter of course when wrapped or has someone had an experience of this & now there is an NL smear campaign against them being wrapped?

They are cheap anyway.

hybridturbo
22-01-07, 10:15 AM
Also if you decide to wrap it keep away from cheap stuff on ebay, it smokes like a bitch rofl lol

craig green
22-01-07, 10:33 AM
Jeez. Ebay has spawned so much knock off, fake/pretend products its not funny!

Manifold wrap that smokes! FFS!

nuds sr
22-01-07, 02:26 PM
the ashley 4 branches are a great 4 branch but just do not heat wrap mild steel as it kills the steels and causes it to crack very badly as i found with my manifold, only lasted me 3 months now it just cracks for fun even without the heatwrap so ive gone back to a standard manifold with 2 1/4 tail welded on until i get my stainless copy of btb 4-1 manifold made in a few weeks

Ash
22-01-07, 03:50 PM
Does the Ashley manifold crack as a matter of course when wrapped or has someone had an experience of this & now there is an NL smear campaign against them being wrapped?

They are cheap anyway.

iirc i think Dan cracked one fairly quickly, but then replaced it with the same and heat wrapped it, and as far as i know its still going. Mine, that i bought off ben gunn was heat wrapped and then cracked/snapped and is now welded back together with strenghing plates and no heat wrap.

Ash

novaboyopr
22-01-07, 04:43 PM
depending on the wrap. ive had some wrap thats been ****e and just stunk, but then had a really good wrap that was brill could touch the manifold after a long drive to reading (30 Minutes flat out) and it was cold. but they really do stink out your car.

BigStan
22-01-07, 05:31 PM
so wrap it or not i would like to know aswell !

Chris
22-01-07, 05:34 PM
dont bother unless you really need to, i.e used in competition and struggling to keep under bonnet temperatures down, or the car overheats anyway because it is so vastly tuned.

Save the ?20 and put it towards something useful.

benny f gsi,n it
22-01-07, 06:38 PM
ok many good pints of view here, but i think the majority of people think no, so im not going to bother and see how it goes i can always add it on later down the line.

benny f gsi,n it
22-01-07, 06:39 PM
ok many good points of view here, but i think the majority of people think no, so im not going to bother and see how it goes i can always add it on later down the line.

benny f gsi,n it
22-01-07, 06:39 PM
ok many good points of view here, but i think the majority of people think no, so im not going to bother and see how it goes i can always add it on later down the line.

benny f gsi,n it
22-01-07, 06:40 PM
sorry had a nervous twitch and sent it 3 time

SRlew
22-01-07, 07:29 PM
iv just wrapped my manifold, my bay was getting well hot fairly quickly so im giving it ago, but the only problem im now thinking of its yes you guesed it mines an ashley lol

but saying that my brothers had his wrapped for a fair while and has not had a problem.

benny f gsi,n it
22-01-07, 10:23 PM
supose it depends on how you drive it really if you lash it or cruise it