PDA

View Full Version : Cool running stats

garyc
21-01-07, 08:47 AM
Probably the wrong time of year for this. I have never seen cool running theremostats for small block engines, hovever I came accross this while searching for some other stuff yesterday. Thought it may be of use to someone.

http://www.webparts.co.uk/Trupart/Buyguide/HTML/202-82.HTM

mowgli
21-01-07, 06:36 PM
you just fit the thermostat from a mk1/2 astra 1.6 diesel

craig green
22-01-07, 10:20 AM
But, apart from helping the engine to warm up about 2 minutes slower, it doesnt help to dissipate any heat from the engine any more effectively.

Not like an alloy or copper rad would, or even by simply using water wetter in the coolant. Pointless.

draper
22-01-07, 10:22 AM
or a fan-overide switch ??

chunky6969
22-01-07, 11:58 AM
the cool running thermostat will get the engine upto a safe temperature as quick and let it run colder...my old 1400 sr engine ran so much better but the heaters were just awful

garyc
22-01-07, 01:26 PM
Craig you mention alloy/ copper rads, are there any std make that are any better than others. I could go down the custom alloy rad but that could be expensive. Or the other way could be Diesel rad?

benthehash
22-01-07, 01:55 PM
novas are gay

that was helpfull

olidaviesuk
22-01-07, 04:55 PM
lowering the temperature (by changing the thermostat or in conjunction with bigger rad etc) serves another purpose..

If you lower the temperature of the engine it becomes less prone to det, you usually find the the big horsepower jap cars such as skylines/supras etc are set up to run 10-20 deg cooler than standard as its more likely that det is going to rip the engines guts to pieces than anything else (providing they've been set up properly that is)

If you combine this with higher octane fuel (which does the same thing), advance the timing, higher compression (or a bloody big turbo), colder plugs and the correct fueling you create fairly significant power gains...

Jack
22-01-07, 05:19 PM
... on big jap turbo cars yes; on small n/a novas its a nominal gain.

mowgli
22-01-07, 10:02 PM
In the past I fitted a diesel stat (88C) to a 1.4 engine that I worked hard. As far as I can tell, opening the stat sooner means the water is cooled more than if the stat opens later, & if the engine is worked hard, more cooling is a help. I also read a guide in CCC that reckoned that in the astra/nova challenge cars of the mid eighties the stats were removed & metal plates with large holes in were used instead, because the standard cooling was marginal.

Stuart
23-01-07, 08:55 AM
like with humans, its easier to maintain a given temp than it is to cool down.... so if you can start cooling at a lower temp then the system has more capacity to do its job.

garyc
23-01-07, 11:50 AM
OK, so I need more cooling capacity than a std 1.6 GTE\GSI rad., whats the easiest, whats the cheapest and which is the best way to do this?

Chris
23-01-07, 11:54 AM
I run my mildly tuned XE on track with a GTE/GSi rad, and screw its tits for for about 40miles at a time (between 5.5k and 7.5krpm) with no thermostat and its fine.

Chris

garyc
23-01-07, 12:48 PM
Yes but that wasnt my question. I run autograss and there is often limited airflow through the rad so I need one with more capacity to get rid ot the heat more efficiently.