PDA

View Full Version : GTE Engine probs

Anonymous
16-07-01, 01:34 PM
hi, my GTE has an annoying habit. when im driving in heavy traffic (everyday) my car kangaros at low revs, any idea's what might cause that? its only if im rolling along in 1st or 2nd below 2000RPM. also, my vauxhall mechanic mate says that my piston rings are on the way out (too much crankcase pressure) so, have any off you changed piston rings? how hard is it? i've done headgaskets before , so i know some engine stuff. Thanks!

Anonymous
16-07-01, 01:43 PM
james where you from? if you are from mansfield then i know you!

Anybody lend me ?599?
[-numberplate.jpg-]
www.pugtek.net/pubes.asp

Anonymous
16-07-01, 04:35 PM
lucky Davo! :p lol

Anonymous
16-07-01, 06:13 PM
it may be easyer to find a "short block" from either a scrappy or engine reconditioner since piston rings can be a pain in the arse without the right tools.

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
16-07-01, 07:09 PM
If you`ve got a 57i on it you may be sucking warm air in from the engine bay causing the kangarooing.

Anonymous
16-07-01, 10:03 PM
Worn throttle cable/linkage??
Changing the rings is quite easy and cant be better described than in Haynes (0909 Nova upto 1993). Its not expensive either.
Just one point - make sure you get a good "lead" into the bores by using an old knife angled at 45 degrees round the top of them. Use wet and dry dipped in paraffin or WD40 to smooth it up. This will stop the rings catching and being damaged as you tap the piston and rings out of the piston ring compressor and into the bore when re-assembling.

Anonymous
16-07-01, 11:22 PM
You might wanna check all the oil breather pipes first - when these get clogged high crankcase pressure symptoms can occur.

Kangarooing is very likely to be warm air...unfortunately mine does it too, I will be making some kind of engine partition at some point to help separate the warm air from the cold air.

Ben.

Anonymous
17-07-01, 08:52 AM
Mine does it too, just keep it above 2000, problem sorted :)

Ease Yourself Back Into Conciousness !!!!!
:D