PDA

View Full Version : spongy brakes........

atokley
19-01-07, 06:38 PM
Just changed my 256mm brakes for 288mm jobbies from LMF vauxhall.

I already had braided lines etc, Just fitted them and the brakes dont bite till the pedal is almost at the floor! (have rear disks aswell)

I thought it may have been the wilwood brake bias i put in at the same time, so i took it out and rebled again, no difference.

The bleeding process i used: Brake res cap off, bleed back right, back left, front right, front left. I used a draper one way valve jobbie to bleed it and only pushed the pedal half way down.

Got all the bubbles out of the fluid, no more will come out, but the pedal wont come any higher, no fluid leaking that i can see, once you pump the pedal hard and try and hold it down the pedal will NOT sink.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

tom reid
19-01-07, 06:44 PM
Try clamping the rears off and then bleed the front brakes, keep rears clamped and see what the brake pedal is like.
Try bleeding both fronts at the same time.
Make sure you dont have bleed nipples open too far.

HTH

staggy_gsi
19-01-07, 06:47 PM
ive been told its quite normal for the 288mm brakes to bite quite low down. i have them on mine and the pedal is just the same as yours but they work fine....

Adam
19-01-07, 06:51 PM
Try adjusting the brake bar behind the servo.

atokley
19-01-07, 09:05 PM
Try clamping the rears off and then bleed the front brakes, keep rears clamped and see what the brake pedal is like.
Try bleeding both fronts at the same time.
Make sure you dont have bleed nipples open too far.

HTH
ok i will give that a go tomorrow!

ive been told its quite normal for the 288mm brakes to bite quite low down. i have them on mine and the pedal is just the same as yours but they work fine....
They are seriously low tho, as in the pedal nearly touches the ground before they work.

Try adjusting the brake bar behind the servo.
How do i adjust this? which way? is it necessary if the brakes where working fine with the 256mm setup before the 288mm setup?

Thanks people!

Adam
20-01-07, 12:49 AM
How do i adjust this? which way? is it necessary if the brakes where working fine with the 256mm setup before the 288mm setup?

Thanks people!
Yep, because the caliper pistons are much larger, meaning more fluid is needed, so more pedal...

Also make sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted.

atokley
20-01-07, 04:07 PM
Yep, because the caliper pistons are much larger, meaning more fluid is needed, so more pedal...

Also make sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted.

got it sorted, thanks mate, found the adjuster on the back of the brake pedal.

Still feels a bit spongy but i suppose thats the bigger callipers as theres deff no air bubbles! been bled about 10 times in the past 24hours lol!

Adam
20-01-07, 05:42 PM
Make sure you dont adjust it so far that the brakes are permanently on,Lol.

atokley
21-01-07, 01:00 PM
lol, yeh i made that mistake at first lol! this thing stops a treat now :D

thanks for the help mate!