PDA

View Full Version : No Dash and MOT

Geth
18-01-07, 09:34 PM
I'm just thinking about some of my plans for my track car project and as I don't have a trailer to tow it around I am wondering if there would be any problems with the MOT when I take the dash out. I don't see how there could be a problem my self but a friend of mine has put some doubts in my mind. I know a lot of you don't have dashes but I also know there's a lot of trailer queens out there who wouldn't need an MOT.

Could any of you guys could clarify?

Cheers

G

R1CH
18-01-07, 09:38 PM
Cant see there being a prob, as long as the no sharp edges sticking out you sshould be ok.

Rich

Iain
18-01-07, 09:41 PM
And you still have switches to operate all lights/wipers.

Philsutton
18-01-07, 09:41 PM
depends where you go, some mot'ers are retards as ive found. I got advised that i should put my rear seats back in as it was dangerous not to have them.

Jack
18-01-07, 09:42 PM
^ lmfao lol

There's no MOT rule that says what interior you have. So long as all your switches/warning lights are still there and functional you should be fine.

Philsutton
18-01-07, 09:44 PM
They can refuse to mot it though if they cant get in it "cough" the fat ****.

draper
18-01-07, 09:44 PM
depends where you go, some mot'ers are retards as ive found. I got advised that i should put my rear seats back in as it was dangerous not to have them.

:wtf: dangerous to who ??

Philsutton
18-01-07, 09:47 PM
dont know but that was the time the police were called to the mot station and they made sure i got a truck to take the car 300 yards down the road back to the unit because it was deemed unsae. Funny that because it then went to ford dealer an it passed straight away

draper
18-01-07, 09:49 PM
lol - was that the same place that refused to test kyles blue one because of the kit ???

Philsutton
18-01-07, 09:50 PM
no thats the one that the fat **** couldnt get in because of the cage

Geth
18-01-07, 09:55 PM
My MOT place is usualy pretty good, he's let me off on a few things in the past on the condition that I fix it as soon as soon as I get it home. Not a bas deal really, saves me having to go back.

Phil, I remember that story about the man who couldn't get in your car. I would love to have seen a fat ******* trying to get into a caged Nova. It's one of those fat people moments that should have been caught on camera for the world to see.

Adam
19-01-07, 12:38 AM
no thats the one that the fat **** couldnt get in because of the cage
LMAO
So he re-fused test it?

Chris
19-01-07, 12:42 AM
going back to the MOT question....

You need a method of clearing you front screen if it mists up, so either make some ducting to direct the air from the matrix to the screen (which there is no benefit from removing the dash then as the heater box is heavy), or fit a heated front screen.

You also need warning lights for, main beam, indicators, brakes, handbrake etc, so easiest is to have your stock clocks on a bracket.

Chris

Saloony
19-01-07, 01:46 PM
going back to the MOT question....

You need a method of clearing you front screen if it mists up, so either make some ducting to direct the air from the matrix to the screen (which there is no benefit from removing the dash then as the heater box is heavy), or fit a heated front screen.

You also need warning lights for, main beam, indicators, brakes, handbrake etc, so easiest is to have your stock clocks on a bracket.

Chris
Errr... No. Nothing in the mot that makes you test if the fan is working. Christ, could you imagine it... Sorry Sir/Madam your car failed cos the aircon needs re-gasing.

As long as there is switches for lights and wipers plus the steering wheel your okay mate. Oh.. and make sure your loom doesnt foul moving parts ie. pedals and steering column.

Adam
19-01-07, 01:53 PM
The foglight switch also needs to have a tell tale that its on iirc too :)

Saloony
19-01-07, 01:55 PM
And tell tales for the indicators and hazards.

Chris
19-01-07, 03:06 PM
well my tester told me (who isnt a cock) that there must be a way of clearing the front screen if it mists, warm air, heated screen etc..

It would be a bit daft to not have anyway of clearing the screen if it is being used on the road though wouldnt it, infact even on a trackday if it rains.

Chris

Novadex
19-01-07, 03:26 PM
i broke my switch that directs the air (i.e Foot well blowers, dash blowers and window blowers) and i couldnt switch it to window blowers but it never failed on that? I supose it depends on the MOT station and his mood... You would think that you need some sort of de-misting device tho, as they can mist up quick.

Saloony
19-01-07, 08:09 PM
Theres nothing about it. It is not part of a test in any way shape or form. But i will double check tomorrow. But am damn sure theres no need.

stuartp
19-01-07, 08:30 PM
Most of you lot are right and it needs to have any sharp edges, brackets and so on remove which most of you'se do. i agree with 90% off you'se.