PDA

View Full Version : Radar detectors

Matt2107
18-01-07, 03:46 PM
Girlfriend is looking to buy one for her Dad's 50th.
Apparently he's seen one for ?70 in Tesco which is a brand I've never heard of (can't even remember the name now)

I'm not 100% sure how they work.

Do you have to pay a subscription?
What sort of camera's will the spot?
Can anyone recommend a make?

I would have said Snooper or Road Angel.

Iain
18-01-07, 03:51 PM
I think radar detectors sense the radar beam the policeman points at you whilst speed camera detectors work via GPS to pinpoint your location and speed camera locations (fixed and sometimes mobile).

For the latter you'll most likely need to pay a subscription to update the locations of the cameras if you're bothered about keeping it up to date.

Jack
18-01-07, 03:58 PM
I've already expressed my thoughts on the uselessness of camera detectors, what with all the information you need being freely provided on the internet by the "safety" camera partnerships, but hey ho lol

Make sure its NOT a radar/laser detector - these are set to become illegal again soon, if not already.

You might be better off spending a bit extra and getting a cheap sat nav unit - Alex's mum's Garmin jobbie pops up with the speed limit and camera zones on various roads, and goes a bit mental if you go over the speed limit lol

Adam
18-01-07, 03:59 PM
I've seen them on ebay for about ?40, that detect everything, mobile speed vans, Gatso's etc etc.

Matt2107
18-01-07, 04:00 PM
lol he's got a sat nav but its a bit old.
We tried to get software updates/maps for it to include cameras but his isn't compatable.

Dawn got a sat nav for christmas and its excellent.. does the whole alert thing for fixed cameras (even the m25 gantry ones) and you can set a speed limit which it bleeps at if you exceed.

I think really he wants it for mobile camera vans and hi-vis wearing hair dryer pointing coppers.