PDA

View Full Version : MTB people, need some help

Stuart
17-01-07, 09:02 PM
ive got about ?500 budgeted in my head for a decent bike.

i want it for general use, not going to be doing downhill races, jumping off cliffs etc lol, but i want something thats not tooooo heavy, strong, good to ride etc.

i had looked at the Carrera banshee, but is a full sus bike in that price going to be shiiiiiiite?
dont mind a hard tail.
some say v brakes are the best, others rate discs, some say hydro discs etc..... i just want to stop comfortably lol.

so if anyone can recomend a bike/shop etc much appreciated.

need to burn off the baby ive acquired ;)

novacabrio
17-01-07, 09:32 PM
Bu what you want to buy mate its your money!! lol

Jack
17-01-07, 09:32 PM
If you're going mostly on road/light off road, I'd say get a hardtail - my full suspension Rock Springs is a biyatch to ride on the roads compared to my Palisades as I've got the rear spring set quite soft. The latter is also considerably lighter, although the Rock Springs isn't all that heavy for a full suspension (my mate bought a new FS Specialized for around ?500 which was heavy as funk!)

Got V brakes on the Palisades which are a bit crap, but they're quite old and worn now... the Rock Springs has hydraulic discs which are quite often a bit overkill lol If I was to get another bike I'd probably stick with discs though.

Do you want a brand new one? There's good bargains to be had on ebay if you don't mind having a bike thats a few years old now. Marin are usually my choice, Kona are good but are expensive even second hand

Stuart
17-01-07, 09:38 PM
Bu what you want to buy mate its your money!! lol

:p its not the same as buying wheels/styling crap lol.

Jack, I'd prefer a new one, that way i know its my sweaty ass thats only been on the seat lmao.
Dont mind it being a year or two old, aslong as its unused.

novacabrio
17-01-07, 09:45 PM
:p its not the same as buying wheels/styling crap lol.

Jack, I'd prefer a new one, that way i know its my sweaty ass thats only been on the seat lmao.
Dont mind it being a year or two old, aslong as its unused.

Yes but you know F*ck all about bikes and looking at some of the cars people drive they know f*ck all about styling and wheels

Stuart
17-01-07, 09:52 PM
thing is they would have parted with hard earned to make the car look pants, im after info before parting with cash ;) mild difference..... then again i did buy a gay car with very little research lol

womble sri
17-01-07, 10:33 PM
there is a good little shop in my town the guy is quite passionate about bikes so might be able to see what he can do. think its called trax.

if your lucky stu he may through in some reflectors and a helmet.
I think he stocks the little things that go on the rear wheel aswell to make it sound like a motorbike. lol

but seriously its pretty good.

womble sri
17-01-07, 10:37 PM
on another note try cambs police auctions cambridge is the worlds capital for stolen bikes haha

Stuart
17-01-07, 10:37 PM
i want spokey dokies lol.
and the kellogs chicken reflector too!!!

Ill pop up and see if hes about on saturday.

novacabrio
17-01-07, 10:38 PM
pm R1CH

Ash
17-01-07, 10:54 PM
get a kona hardtail, dont know there current model range, but there light, well built/spec'd, just dont ride really hard coz the frames snap, but you really have to be pushing it. are GT still going? they used to make good bikes aswell. might be worth asking timmy tho.

Ash

dan23
17-01-07, 10:58 PM
try southerndownhill.com or descentworld
i know therse are downhill sites but they have links to others an various bikes for sale an free advice etc

Jack
18-01-07, 12:36 AM
IMO GT bikes always used to be quite heavy?

As said, Kona are good but pricey - didn't realise they had issues with frames snapping, all the people I know with them say they're quite strong frames.

Ash
18-01-07, 01:15 AM
lol well i did used to ride with some DHers. my mate used to help run the bike shop in town (tri-uk, then adventuresports24/7) i used to hang out there and some of the stories i heard *shudders* not nice. its the ali they use, it very strong to a point and then gives up, give me steel anyday, that just bends. (or though i have snapped one :eek: and my new frame is ali lol)

Ash

Stuart
18-01-07, 08:13 AM
the marin palisades looks decent, a fraction over budget, but for the sake of ?50 to get a far better model than the banshee etc its probably worth it.

Ash
18-01-07, 01:46 PM
marin do make very good bikes, the frame would be a good base to go from if you ever did want to upgrade components. imo the carrera is an overpriced POS from halfords, where as the Marin is a good mid range, well spec'd bike. could you not get last years model? probably get the model up for the same money. its worth buying some mags, as they normally have loads of discounted bike ads. For reviews on other bikes try: http://www.bikemagic.com/review/reviewcategory/mps/RGN/1/RCN/56/cat/Hardtail/v/1/sp/

Ash

Matt2107
18-01-07, 03:03 PM
I think he stocks the little things that go on the rear wheel aswell to make it sound like a motorbike. lol

Yoghurt (sp) pot mod.

Cut a strip from the pot.
Attach with elastic band so that it clips the spokes.
Away you go... sounds just like a chicken chaser.

draper
18-01-07, 03:11 PM
i snapped my old GT frame, i then had 2 DDG shooter hardtails custom made, its a shop in nottinghams own brand i think there fair priced and never heard any frame snapping incidents - im gonna be getting another 1 anyway :thumb:

SRlew
18-01-07, 03:21 PM
i started off mtb'ing but then my brother got me into bmx's yes kids bikes etc iv heard em all so i can take your abuse lol

might get back into mtb'ing thou but i dont think id enjoy it anymore as i used to live in devon when i did it so we used to race round backroads down fields etc, but while im liveing here i'll stick to my bmx

stu let us know what you get mate when you decide! actually get a bmx stu!

Dpnova
18-01-07, 03:22 PM
i used to ride a hot chilli MTB Full Sus jobby, total over kill on the road, id say get a hard tail

draper
18-01-07, 03:27 PM
http://www.supercycles.co.uk/site_details.asp?ProductID=164

thats the 1 ill be getting when funds allow

novahaulin'
18-01-07, 06:18 PM
ive got a specilized hardrock pro 2006 model, its light, comfy and real easy to ride, it was ?470 delivered from evanscycles.com

Matt Pickering
18-01-07, 10:27 PM
My Marin a full suspension bike it ain't that heavy, and its got a lock out on the rear shock for riding on the roads, think its a 2002 east peak or a wolf ridge it set me back ?1400 which was more than my nova. Plus just had to replace the Group set which cost ?360 for full XT set up, Due a new bike next summer, thinking of a cannodale prophet.

For a ?500 budget i would recommend a Giant hardtail

Giant xtc 2006 model ?600 new - Should be able to pick one of these up for around ?450 quite shortly, as the 2007 bike will arrive around March/April

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Giant-xtc-off-road-series_W0QQitemZ320071482566QQihZ011QQcategoryZ279 47QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Timmy
18-01-07, 10:35 PM
hardtail is the way to go. ?500 for whole bike you looking at a bit of a lump weight wise. carra are good bikes are there a house make and can offer good groupset for the money. don't buy from evans!!!!!! over priced marin are good but dated, seceiailzed are cool (Club Sponcer) good bike well make 5year warnty can get discount if you ask nicly. Pm me if need mroe advise as im still riding competting at it were.

Lee
19-01-07, 09:26 AM
Yup, hardtail for mainly road use, and as for brands, i dont have a clue whats about now, but when i was 'into' my bikes, i would only own GT's, Kona's, Marins, Diamond Backs (DBR) or the odd high end Carrera as they were made with very high grade aluminium.

My favorite bike was my Kona Lava Dome though. It was uber light!