PDA

View Full Version : t40 gsi engine gte loom in 1.3sr

benthehash
17-01-07, 03:35 PM
few wires need help if you follow the loom round to the end near pump relay red and black wires where do they go?

do i need an earth to the alternater and starter or just earth the whole engine

Adam
17-01-07, 03:59 PM
Red is a constant live, black is switched by the ECU iirc.

The alternator has a small earth between it and the inlet(on the alternator bracket) but thats all.

Starter earths through the gearbox, through the main earth strap.
Altho later novas dont have the earth strap and have a direct earth wire from the battery to the starter.

benthehash
17-01-07, 04:27 PM
i've got rid of the ecu cos i'm gana be running t40s

what do these wires give a feed for the pump?

Chris
17-01-07, 05:45 PM
loose the whole engine wiring loom then and wire your pump up directly to a switch with a fuse. Then run a dizzy/coil combo which doesnt require management.

Chris

Adam
17-01-07, 05:48 PM
Are you using a GTE fuel pump then?

Chris
17-01-07, 05:55 PM
does it matter? Whatever pump it is will still need regulating

benthehash
17-01-07, 05:56 PM
The ignition system is sorted by the way of 1.4sr set up. would it be better to cut up my old loom and get rid of the stuff i don't need (make it simple) and leave wires for lights and sensors left as the loom bar few things such as wipers, washers, alarm???

the pump is gana come from ignition (key) live to a switch for a relay.
i've a couple more questions about certain wires in the loom but they might have to wait till tomorrow as can't remember the colours.

benthehash
17-01-07, 05:59 PM
it's a silver top and i'm going to use a filter king to bring the pressure down.

whats the best way to block the fuel return at the tank?

Adam
17-01-07, 06:10 PM
Put a M8 bolt in the pipe and clamp it with a clip.

You can just unplug the gte engine loom from the engine.
So just fit the engine without a loom.

Just keep the normal 1.3 wires in the engine bay( for starter etc)
And then wire the 1.4 dizzy/coil.

Only problem with pump on a switch is should the worst happen and you have a crash the pump will carry on pumping fuel, unless the switch is turned off. Quite dangerous should the car be on fire or something.
Only way to get round that is to have a oil pressure switch(so it switches off when the oil pressure goes down(engine stalled/turned off)

benthehash
17-01-07, 06:34 PM
i haven't got the 1.3 loom as it was converted to standard gte when i got her!
the oil pressure gauge is the one coming off the back of the pump aint it?

I've read the thread about the cut of switch and belive i need a t peice to fit a pressure switch and the standard gauge plus i'll need some sort of overide button to get her started?

Adam
17-01-07, 06:37 PM
Ahh right.
So are you fitting a whole gte loom?

Yeah, oil presssure sender is bolted in the back of the oil pump.

benthehash
17-01-07, 06:46 PM
was going to but there seems to be a whole load of stuff that i don't need

was thinking about striping the loom back from it's ugly and just keeping the wires that i need. would try and wire the engine up first and remove unneeded stuff like pump relay etc.

benthehash
17-01-07, 06:47 PM
was going to but there seems to be a whole load of stuff that i don't need

was thinking about striping the loom back from it's ugly black tape and just keep the wires that i need. would try and wire the engine up first and remove unneeded stuff like pump relay etc.

Adam
17-01-07, 06:52 PM
There shouldn't be much you need to remove from a gte loom.
As the engine loom is self contained and just unplugs to leave you with the car loom....

Chris
17-01-07, 07:39 PM
if you unplug the GTE loom in the engine bay and remove it from the engine you will be left with a few wires going 'out' to the car. Just chop the plug off and make your own wiring.

Red- Not required
Blue - Goes to the thermister for temp sender, just extend the wire and put on a shovel connector.
Red/Blue - Live to fuel pump, put on this the live you want to run the pump, ignition/switched/whatever but it needs to be fused
Black - Switched live, use this for the coil.

The rest of the wires needed should still be floating around the engine bay, starter, alternator etc

Chris

benthehash
17-01-07, 08:16 PM
It's all starting to make some sence now i wasn't trying to use the gte loom it's the cars wireing harness i think it's called i was talking about. i now know the plug you mean that connects to the gte loom. i understand now :-)

can you help with some car harness wires??

comming out near the drivers side headlamp is a brown and a grey/red with female connectors on them?

At the end of the harness is a brown and a red do these go to earth and battery?

Up near the heater is a grey green?

and coming out near starter motor is
fat black/red
black/yellow
light blue/yellow
blue/green
blue/white

if you could tell me wire by wire would be grate
please help

ben

Adam
18-01-07, 12:49 AM
and coming out near starter motor is
fat black/red
black/yellow
light blue/yellow
blue/green
blue/white

if you could tell me wire by wire would be grate
please help
ben
fat black/red-Solenoid 12v from Ignition Switch
black/yellow-Un-needed-Thats for the autochoke connection on a pierburg carb
light blue/yellow-Oil pressure sensor wire 1
blue/green-Oil pressure sensor wire 2
blue/white-Connects to the alternator(supplies battery light on dash)

For the others have a look at the haynes wiring diagrams.

benthehash
18-01-07, 05:42 PM
why two for the oil pressure sensor mines only got one plug

Adam
18-01-07, 06:05 PM
The 2nd wire is to run the guage dial on gte/gsi clocks.
Most only have one wire as std.

If you dont have the oil pressure guage just plug in the one wire on the sender.

benthehash
18-01-07, 06:18 PM
no i've got a digital dash which i don't think has 1

Adam
18-01-07, 06:21 PM
Have you had the digidash working?

It has a oil pressure guage, it will read off the scale if you just have a 1pin oil sender.

benthehash
18-01-07, 07:15 PM
yeah did have it working but without the oil pressure guage(never noticed it probably no bulb) and warning light never worked.

my sender is the same on the gte and gsi only has one hole for connectoe and a small screw comming out the top do i connect the other wire to this?

Adam
18-01-07, 07:19 PM
Ye, one wire has a plug.
The other has a small connector that slips onto a small metal screw on the back of the sender.