PDA

View Full Version : Strange chinking noise from exhaust!

andy_017
17-01-07, 11:23 AM
I've had a new full stainless exhaust recently fitted onto the nova about 2 months ago, its strated making a funny chinking noise as if its making contact with some other metal on the car, i've been underneath the car and it isnt touching at all, i'm thinkin that maybe it could be the flange between the downpipe and the manifold thats worked its way loose and starting to vibrate around, it only does it when stationary though, i think that this is really the only place it could be coming from, any ideas as i'm really stuck at the moment and its really annoying:confused: cheers andy

savs_redtop
17-01-07, 11:51 AM
I would take it back mate and have it back on there ramps, if it only makes the noise when stationary it should be easy for them to find. Its more annoying when your exhaust makes random noises when your moving.

H15 NVA
17-01-07, 12:23 PM
could be heatshield, they may have disturbed/dislodged one during fitting, as they're thin theyd make a clinky noise

Adam
17-01-07, 01:10 PM
Get underneath and shake the whole exhaust system about, see if it touches anything.

Riggy
17-01-07, 02:45 PM
hand brake cable mate , does it stop makingthe noise if you rev it slightly or put the handbrake on ?

macc nova
17-01-07, 03:35 PM
look by the rear axle, mines hit there before

andy_017
17-01-07, 04:30 PM
well its strange because it does it more when its in gear and you let the clutch out because if the car shudders a little it gets more frequent and a bit louder but then only does it sometimes when its staionary but running:confused: had it up on a ramp and wobbled it around and it doesnt make any noise or touch anything!

JSeymour
17-01-07, 05:29 PM
thats just because the engine vibrates more on low revs. the best way to find the problem is to get it up on some car ramps and look under it with the engine on.