PDA

View Full Version : perminant live on head unit

novaspence
16-01-07, 11:08 PM
i need help about my head unit bout a permanent live as i am not sure if my nova has one fitted from the battery as standard, please could you help me with the appropriate information as to making this possible to connect so that my stereo has the capabilities to keep stored information on the system,
cheers

Ash
17-01-07, 12:46 AM
you need to swap the red and yellow wires iirc (it's been awhile) to save cutting your loom just buy a vauxhall wiring harrness adapter.

Ash

dannyb
17-01-07, 12:58 AM
Do you mean it has no permanent live coming out of the car at all? Firstly, do you have a tape player or anything in there as standard? Secondly, does the car connect to a stereo by a few individual wires, or by a plug which has few wires going into it? A pic of this would be handy please!

novaspence
17-01-07, 10:08 AM
it has power goin to it but it dusnt save any radio stations or anything n its a multi plug 1 n no i dont hav a standard tape player coz it got stolen before i bought the car

Jack
17-01-07, 10:44 AM
Wow, someone nicked a tape player, they must be desperate lol

Anyway, options are:

1) If the HU has a red and yellow power connection, swap them over. Easiest option but not 100% guaranteed to work.

2) Steal power from somewhere else, e.g. cigarette lighter. Not recommended as other existing wiring may not be suitable for HU power.

3) Wire a fused permanent live from the battery, so the radio has its own power source. Probably the best solution, but requires the most work - and if there's the chance you could accidentally leave the radio on and flatten the battery.

Riggy
17-01-07, 06:54 PM
you need one of these to save cutting or swapping your wires about

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7f/12/1fc9_1.JPG

buy it from ebay as there ?10 from halfords

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iso-Lead-Car-Harness-Adaptor-Vauxhall-Many-More_W0QQitemZ320071770950QQihZ011QQcategoryZ14932 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320071770950#ebaypho tohosting

bump
17-01-07, 07:39 PM
Most of the recent crop of HU's have bullet crimps on the red and yellow to aid in silving this problem.

To check if it will help break out the multimeter and see what if anything gives a perm live.

Lucky Luke!
21-01-07, 12:48 AM
All vauxhalls have the power wires swapped. If it switches on but doesnt save, then swap the wires over, it WILL work.

mikey14sr
21-01-07, 10:53 AM
On an iso plug the red wire is permament live, the yellow one is ignition live.
On a nova the red is the same, but the ignition live is black, and the earth is brown.

novaspence
21-01-07, 02:13 PM
i changed over the red and yellow wires n then plugged it back into the sterio and the lights came on the dash without the keys being in the ignition. so i changed back the wires back to red to red and yellow to yellow. any1 got any sugestions on what i should do now?

Lucky Luke!
22-01-07, 08:02 PM
how long did they come on for? See where the illumination (orange) wire is going to.

noknok
23-01-07, 12:26 PM
Check out this thread I started, I recently fixed my perm live problem. May or may not help you.

http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72371

novaspence
26-01-07, 09:25 AM
they stayed on for ages n didnt turn off until i unplugged it. so iv decided to leave it without a perminent live. but if any1 no's a way to make 1 without cutting wires then give me ur sugestions.

Lucky Luke!
26-01-07, 07:44 PM
Run a seperate one from the battery. Has the original loom been cut at all?