PDA

View Full Version : interior stripping

sim0ng
16-01-07, 11:27 AM
I guess this would have to go under styling but I'm not planning on keeping it stripped out for long.

I'm getting some welding done to the underneath of my nova next week and my mechanic has asked me to strip out the interior for him so is one less thing for him to do and to make it a little cheaper.

My question is... where the heck to begin and how does everything come out?! do I even have to remove the gearknob?!

If anybody could help or point me in the direction of a thread which has a short guide as to how to get everything out that'd be great! and if it matters, mines a "mk2" K reg model with keep fit windows.

Mike
16-01-07, 11:32 AM
spanners, sockets, torx bits etc its piss easy mate!

pull out the back seats, pull carpet out, remove front seats, pull carpet out

sim0ng
16-01-07, 11:37 AM
so start at the back and work my way forward?

hopefully the bolts wont be too ceased as the car had a GTE interior fitted before I got it.

I may aswell go and make a start on it now seen asthough its not raining... wonder if my son would like some nice seats in his room for a couple days to sit on when playing the playstation? lol... basement seems a bit damp and have nowhere else to put 'em

Matt2107
16-01-07, 11:41 AM
Back seats are easy peasy to do... probably best to start there... then move towards the front seats. Next is the carpet... be carefull not to rip anything.

I'd imagine your gonna drive the car there so you'll need to put the drivers seat back in. Essentially your gonna save yourself an hours labour doing this.... well worth it.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 11:48 AM
Yeah, will be putting the drivers seat back in again. Just gonna go and do the glow plugs (?8.65 each! fookin rip off!!!) then I'll crack on with that interior! May take some photos whilst doing it... then I have my brakes to do as it judders under heavy breaking and then once the weldings done can start preping it for its sexy respray and stick my new toys on it! :D

Matt2107
16-01-07, 12:05 PM
Definately worth upgrading to ATE calipers if you have delco's... or if your running 15" wheels then would be worth picking up some 16v brakes.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 12:15 PM
I have 13 inch steelies on at the min, will be putting the ronal alloys off my old astra on it at some point, just going to put standard disks and pads on... I already have some in the shed which are like new which I took off my corsa when I upgraded to 256mm brakes so saves a bit of time and money I guess and do the job

Matt2107
16-01-07, 12:33 PM
Excellent... thats the best thing about Nova's... they don't have to be expensive to repair etc

novaboyopr
16-01-07, 12:42 PM
ive never used the right tool to remove my interior good old hands rip stuff out nicely. but if your putting it back in i advise you use the correct tools, and to do it slowly remembering where bolts go. i always end up with bolts left over for some reason. oh well!!! :)

sim0ng
16-01-07, 01:29 PM
I've been putting the screws and bolts back in the holes they came out of so that none get lost but I'm a little stuck at the moment...

back seats and the trim along the bottom of the doors came out a doddle... I've taken the front 2 bolts out of the front seats and now I'm a little stuck! I can't figure out how they lift out, they seem to want to move backwards and slip out of the runners on one side but the inner side (closest to hand brake) doesn't want to come out... theres a plastic cover going over the top of the bunner but that seems to be attached to the carpet!

anybody help?? is it that allen bolt which I need to remove to lift them out?

Iain
16-01-07, 01:34 PM
There's a small metal clip in the runner you push out. Once that's out the seats slide off the runners to the back.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 01:35 PM
sweet! I'll go look for that now! any help on what the thing looks like? colour, shape?? orwill i notice it soon as i look?

Iain
16-01-07, 01:37 PM
You should just notice it, I can't really remember what it looks like lol

sim0ng
16-01-07, 01:43 PM
cant see any metal clips which look like they come off :(

Matt2107
16-01-07, 01:45 PM
Look a little harder lol... they are definately there somewhere.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 01:48 PM
youre not very helpfull! I'll take a picture and you can circle or draw an arrow to where the darn thing is??

Iain
16-01-07, 01:53 PM
I just ran outside for you lol The clips are black and on the outside runners, near the doors not the handbrake. They unclip inwards towards the middle of the car.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 02:01 PM
okay, i got it out now... i dont think there even was a clip in mine in the first place... i just pushed it quite hard on one side back and then lifted the front up to see where this clip was and it just fell out! Just carried the seat upstairs into my sons room (which is in the attic) and now I'm fookin nackerd! lol anybody wanna finish it off for me? lol

Matt2107
16-01-07, 02:40 PM
I've got all this to come... twice... when I fit my leather interior into the GTE and again when I do the SRI interior into Project ASPRIN.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 04:34 PM
haha! is so much fun! i have nothing but a drivers seat now! far from a very practicle car at the moment.... have also made a start on the rust on the rear arches and is starting to go quite well now... could do with a more powerfull compressor though

Jack
16-01-07, 05:14 PM
I think thats very practical, think of all the shopping you can fit in.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 05:36 PM
true... but with only 1 seat I can't really leave the house as I stay at home and look after my youngest son so can't go out and about because theres nowhere to put his car seat appart from on the floor which isn't very safe!

sim0ng
16-01-07, 09:55 PM
http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/2968/0116143457bl0.jpg

was so much fun! lol
have been trying to get the tow bar off the back aswell and soon as I saw the wiring into the loom for the light I pretty much gave up! am gonna have to het some of that plastic stuff you heat up and it shrinks and solder the wires up after taking out all the **** for the tow bar... doesn't look like a fun job :(

novaboyopr
18-01-07, 03:38 PM
take out that sound proofing with a scraper and blow touch but dont heat it to much other wise it melts into a big mess. once you have most of it off heat the crap left over and rub with a cloth and it rubs realy flat then paint it red looks so much better!!!