PDA

View Full Version : Brake bias valves

R1CH
15-01-07, 07:46 PM
I'm using a Tilton proportioning valve in the rear brake line on my Nova but even fully adjusted it still locks up now and again under heavy braking, was just wondering if anyone knows of / have used any other types that might give more adjustment ?
The cars stripped out & its got 286mm rear discs (bit on the big side i know, but i aint changing them now !!) and Calibra Turbo calipers, was origionally using Mintex 1144 pads but have now changed them to some cheapo ones which seemed to help a bit.

This is the Tilton valve - Tilton Engineering - Brake, Brake Proportioning Valves, Screw Type (http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=38&m=b#)

Cheers, Rich
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif

stafford
15-01-07, 09:46 PM
ive been told to use which is on the master cylinder bias valves 3/27 but finding them is hard. once on ebay i saw 3/20 which would of been perfect if you find some 3/27's let me know wat u got them off.

R1CH
15-01-07, 10:02 PM
No its not the valves off the master cylinder i'm after, i'm wanting to know if amyone knows of an in line Bias valve that has a lot of adjustment as the one i have now doesn't seem to give enough ... i want to be able to bias it to the front a bit more to stop the rears locking as much.

Rich

MARTIN KELSON
16-01-07, 08:26 AM
Hi

Its correct what Stafford is saying. Check number on valve on master cyclinder. Lower the number the less brakes to the back. Easy way to reduce rear brake pressure.
Just done it to mine when it came off road in October but as yet not tried it in anger!
The rally cars i believe used to reduce the rear pad contact area also to reduce rear braking.
Give it a try.

Martin

Stuart
16-01-07, 08:54 AM
the bias valves you get tend to have the same first pressure clip and the adjustment only changes the rate of rpessure increase past that fixed point.... its V ghey!

CP intorudced a massive air bubble to the rear line to get the brake force down lol

R1CH
16-01-07, 06:26 PM
I'm using a Calibra Turbo Servo & MC, the MC just has 2 outlets, 1 outlet to the front & 1 outlet to the rear, the only valve / resistor ... is the Tilton one in the rear line, i guess i'm looking for a bias valve that will pretty much block off the rear line to an extent.
Cheers anyway.

Rich

Stuart
16-01-07, 08:15 PM
the tilton wont do that, nor will most others on the market, as said they ahve a fixed rate of limiting to a given limit, then the adjsutment comes after that.

R1CH
16-01-07, 08:25 PM
Aye i know the tilton doesn't do that, thats why i want one that'll work !!
Any (helpfull) ideas, other than putting an air bubble in the line ?

Cheers, Rich

Stuart
16-01-07, 08:30 PM
fat bore pipes can help drop the pressure down a bit.

there must be a proper pressure reducer on the market.... maybe some sort of thing in conjunction with the fluid recirulator that tweeks sell

R1CH
16-01-07, 08:42 PM
I'll have to keep looking then !!
Just another thing, the calipers i'm using have 33mm pistons, would using calipers off an Astra GTE / GSi with 35mm pistons make them any better / worse ?

Rich

vector1276
16-01-07, 09:57 PM
this might be what you need ebay item number 150025207839

R1CH
16-01-07, 10:21 PM
Cheers, might ask the seller a few Q's
:thumb:

Rich

Stuart
16-01-07, 10:33 PM
you need the pressure curves from the seller, but i bet theya re the same as the tilton figures...

R1CH
16-01-07, 10:36 PM
Cool, any ideas on fitting the Astra calpiers with (bigger) 35mm pistons ?

Rich

Stuart
16-01-07, 10:43 PM
your best off talking to dhdev about that kind of thing.....