PDA

View Full Version : idling problems

Anonymous
08-07-01, 11:20 PM
i have rencetly had some trouble with me cat on my 91 1.2i, so the mechanic cut it out, ever since then it has been idling funny, sometimes it feels like its gonna stall but u take it for a quick rag and its fine??
ne suggestions?
is it gonna cut out one day or is it just gonna idle a bit lower and not stall?
cheers
dan

[-flash.gif-]

Anonymous
10-07-01, 09:28 AM
ne one?!?!

[-flash.gif-]

Anonymous
10-07-01, 09:56 AM
Ive got the same engine. If you read in the Haynes manual in the fuel and exhaust section, u'll see that the injector is controlled by actuators which are controlled by receiving and collating info from 4 sensors in the engine.
One measures road speed, one is in the inlet manifold (MAP-sensor(manifold absolute pressure), cant remember where the 3rd is but the 4th is in your exhaust system and i think it measures oxygen content. So basically is u have messed with your exhaust system
the sensor will be relaying strange info to your actuators whcih will in turn affect the fuel injector, which may be causing your problems. Its a poor explanation i know and the Haynes manual explains it much better look under-Revisions section Chapter 13-Multec central fuel injection system.
Hope this was of some help, sorry i cant offer any solutions.
Tony :)
P.S-If it makes u feel any better i'm having similar trouble with my car, but mine just stalls while driving could be sitting in traffic or doing 40mph, and u think u have problems. Have replaced all electrics except the coil which i'll be doing tonight. If that doent solve it i may replace the injector and fuel pump-already done filter and flushed the system!!!!!

Anonymous
10-07-01, 10:48 AM
why not run it on a 32/34 weber? less hassle cos u dont have to pi55 about with ECU etc?

Anonymous
10-07-01, 10:50 AM
ignore that last post, i was in a dream land and thought i was replying to the post about going from a 1.2 to 1.6i...doh

Anonymous
10-07-01, 11:11 AM
when u take a cat pout you generally can't just replace it with a straight pipe.Not only did the cat get rid of shitty gases etc it helps to create a certain amount of pressure in the exhaust,allowing for the gases to go from the engine(high pressure) to the end of exhaust(lower pressure).Replacin the cat with just a pipe creates too high a back pressure and the gases find it hard to move back through the exhaust.(similar pressures between engine and exhaust).When I did mine on my 92 sri I replaced the cat with a small empty box wich helps to reduce the back pressure and alow the gases out easier.At least i think this is how it works.
Fraz

STOP.............................................. .........................................CARRY ON!