PDA

View Full Version : groaning sound

Tazzy
15-01-07, 07:34 AM
when i take a left hand bend at a fair speed, theres appears to be a groaning sound, although i cant make out were its coming from, any ideas?

cheerz ta very mooch!

Welsh Dan
15-01-07, 07:56 AM
I've got one when I turn right hard, which I think is the handbrake cable rattling around, does your handbrake have more play in it than it used to?

dannyb
15-01-07, 09:25 AM
I've got one when I turn right hard, which I think is the handbrake cable rattling around, does your handbrake have more play in it than it used to?
Mine also does this, its a buzzy, sort of rattle and is intermittant. If its a grumbly low pitched noise on every left hand corner, it might be a wheel bearing, or the exhaust (which makes a similar noise to a wheel bearing).
I only realised it was my exhaust after changing both rear wheel bearings, then laying under the car with the choke pulled out to make the exhaust resonate so I could hear where it was coming from!

Adam
15-01-07, 11:21 AM
Could be outer cv, diff bearings...

Could be a lot of things.

Check the wheel bearing for play.

Nova Full
16-01-07, 09:12 AM
sounds like the wheel bearing to me

Welsh Dan
16-01-07, 09:18 AM
The noise on mine comes from around where the handbrake cable runs, and if i pull the lever up a bit, the noise stops, so I'm fairly sure what it is :).

coombsey
16-01-07, 04:14 PM
i had this problem too it started of only doing it at 40 but after a couple of months it came down to 25ish turned out tobe the wheel bearing but in the actual hub there was two indents so had to replace hub too

bigbened
16-01-07, 04:43 PM
i had this prob on my old punto (sack of ****) when you were driving it would rattle and if you pulled the handbrake up it would stop. Still dont know what it was to this day, all i know is the back wheel used to shake so im thinking the wheel bearing lol