PDA

View Full Version : What oil do you use?

Anonymous
08-07-01, 09:45 PM
Just reading through some posts over on the MIG board about what oil they use. The majority said Mobil 1 is best but very expensive, so most use Castrol as this is cheaper but almost as good. So what do you lot use in your Novas?

Chris

PS. I used 15/50 Castrol GTX in my 1.2 and I've been told that nova SRs run best on 10/40 Castrol Magnetec, is this true or bull?

Anonymous
09-07-01, 12:30 PM
I used Mobil 1 but stopped after about 3 months as my car didn't seem to like it, It was drinkig the stuff (which aint cheap) its very rich oil and wasn't good value for what I was paying, I am now running it on Carlube oil, top notch !!

" I think he's trying to watch some illegal channels"
"No thats just the nature show"
"Oh yeah, Spank My Hairy Ass!!"
"Whats that?"
"Ride me, Ride me like a pony !"

Anonymous
09-07-01, 01:20 PM
I use Mobil 1 Motorsport for the increased protection at high temps when thrashed. As its 15w 50 I use Slick 50 to help protect at startup. I have had no problems, and because I change regularly the oil is still translucent when I change it.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)]

Whoopass! :D

The original footer, not a cheap immitation!

Anonymous
09-07-01, 03:16 PM
5w50 Halfords fully synthetic plus slick 50. Pretty cheap. Honestly cant say if there is any performance diff. between it and the 15W40 farm diesel engine oil I was using B4 tho'! :D - it just leaks more now.
I think most of us buy "better" oils for peace of mind and the often misguided assumption that are cars will go better. I suspect the truth is that older relatively mildly tuned cars are just as happy on thicker cheaper multigrades and certainly wont leak/use oil as much. Oil in the combustion chamber is no help wotsoever!

Anonymous
09-07-01, 04:20 PM
Fully synthetic in the valver, either millers/valvoline/vauxhall, depends whats in bat.

i used any old stuff in the 1.6 gte