PDA

View Full Version : f 20 boxes what is it that screws up

ste porter
14-01-07, 01:13 PM
asking for a mate more than anything because he has a let in a corsa and when the engine goes back in its going to be near 300bhp. The thing is when he brought it it was on an f20 but seemed to be fine but now it been rebuilt and its going back in at near 300bhp hes concerened that its gona start nackering boxes. so what is it in the f20 boxes that are likely to fail? if its just the diffs in them that fail under the stress would he get away with just having an upgraded quaife diff or is it other parts like the lath (sp)shaft that fail?

cheers steve

Paul
14-01-07, 02:51 PM
it really depends, i've gone through about 5 in mine, even managed to kill one with a standard XElol. However i did have one which lasted for nearly 4 months of abuse! Depends on condition of box in the first place, and how much its been thrashed etc

I demolished my top row twice, diff once, snapped the casting, and the other one was beginning to whine (diff)

I have known the F20's to last a year or so on the LET's its not the power that kills them, its the torque.

The F'20' stands for 200NM of torque, F28 is 280 etc...

ste porter
14-01-07, 08:53 PM
yea i know all about the torque figures ect just woundered what would be the most likely bit 2 go first

Will F
15-01-07, 09:00 AM
It will strip teeth of the gears firstly, I rekon

Tell him to get an F28, with that power he needs one.

craig green
15-01-07, 12:08 PM
Or a low mileage F23, not sure what the ratios are like though.

ste porter
16-01-07, 07:44 AM
cheers lads we didnt know if it was something specific that went every time that could be upgraded to prolong the boxes life or just pot luck on what went first seems like pot luck so will proberly be looking at the proper route then