PDA

View Full Version : rebuild

Anonymous
06-07-01, 10:18 PM
im buying a mint k reg silver gsi except the fact its done 130,000 miles but engine seems fine but i want to get it rebuilt any ideas how much this would cost or is it better just to drop a secondhand engine in there?

Anonymous
07-07-01, 12:48 AM
Why bother m8? my GTE has done 150,000 and runs perfect better than my sr which had done just over 100,000. as long as its been maintained ok it`ll be fine

Anonymous
07-07-01, 09:00 AM
just give it a really good service, check the compression,new plugs,leads,oil,oil filter,cooling system etc. well thats wat id do anyway.

Anonymous
07-07-01, 10:14 AM
how do i check the compression?

Anonymous
07-07-01, 03:29 PM
with a compression tester (and no im not taking the piss!!!)

thats what they are called. simple huh instructions are on the box

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
08-07-01, 03:49 PM
The main issue 4 a car of this mileage will be how often the oil has been changed. If its been well looked after with frequent changes they can be in better order and more powerful than new engines. Check signs of blue smoke on start up and particularly when revved when warm. Check the plugs - should be Khaki grey brown colour not black and oily. Check oil pressure when warm if poss and compression test as other have said. Check that the oil on dipstick aint really black and thick and gunky.

Anonymous
08-07-01, 10:33 PM
it was serviced every 4000 miles by vauxhall apparantly and has always been run on fuly synthetic shit the oil pressure needle is fucked i never owned a nova when it worked engine semms fin i had 130 out of it to birmingham with 4 people