PDA

View Full Version : high power n/a 8v

bieransri
13-01-07, 10:21 PM
anyone on here have a hi spec n/a 8v engine, with around 150bhp?

looking into these, wanting to know what the spec is on other peoples? ideally a 1.6 8v

Ash
14-01-07, 12:34 AM
i will do soon, you need to speak/hear from Dan or Jim, or "buy" the nova/corsa competion build guide and build a Group A rally spec engine as someone did resently (Black GTE - TV feature) Remember to uprate the rest of the car accordingly tho, brakes, suspension, etc. Also less weight is another way to more power ;)

Heres what Dan sent me when i was asking about it. Saves him doing it, expect he's done it enough times now lol

1.6 8v gte engine
engine...142bhp/133lbft (allegedly as r/r generally talk ****e)
1650 Rebore/hone block, Pistons, Ground crank, Full dynamic engine balance, Lightened flywheel, Faced flywheel, Skimmed block face for upped compression, Blydenstien b+ head,heat wrapped 4-1 manifold, Helix paddle clutch and cover, kent ast2 cam, twin forties, ashley exhaust system, 1.4 sr dizzy/coil, gripper plate diff, f13cr with 4.18 f/d. santa pod time as per sig

Thats the basics, i have also setup the susp geometry to my own settings that can help or hinder a cars performance but thats a personal preference issue. Another thing to remember is power to weight rather than just engine power, even tho my car looks stripped its not as light as is possible, but built well for track and alot safer. it comes in at around 200bhp/ton as the car weighs 'about' 720kg.

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/newcar/clean/cabinfront.jpg

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/2006/bay.jpg

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/newcar/clean/cabinrear.jpg

Ash

Adam
14-01-07, 06:33 PM
Firstly, decide whether you want carbs.

Or MPI with mappable management.
Both get similar results.

bieransri
14-01-07, 06:43 PM
had a price of ?2800, fully rebuilt with arp rod bolts, novatech throttlebodies,mapped, loom made to suit tb's, head work, lairy cam.

spec to push 140 to 150 bhp

Adam
14-01-07, 06:51 PM
You can get 150bhp on the standard inlet manifold/plenum/throttle body.
With a bit of headwork, 290/300deg cam, mappable management.

If you have the cash for throttle bodies etc i'd start with a 1.6 16v and TB that, 170/180bhp...

Ash
14-01-07, 06:57 PM
/\ deffo, thats alot of money on a 1.6 8v, people 2.0XE theyre nova for that, including suspension, brakes, wheels, etc. But do a 1.6 16v please! 2.0 XE are basically standard now. lol

Ash

Ash
14-01-07, 06:59 PM
If you do want to keep the 8v how ever, here 150bhp on MPi

http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65897&highlight=nova+black+total+vauxhall+feature

Ash

draper
14-01-07, 07:02 PM
If you have the cash for throttle bodies etc i'd start with a 1.6 16v and TB that, 170/180bhp...

thats what im planning :thumb:

bieransri
14-01-07, 07:02 PM
i dont know why but im stuck on the 8v idea. cant see a reason why not. where can i get the mention group a build guide from?

been looking at the black gte in tv augaust 06 issue. thats near enough 150 on standard inlet, but i assume it all in the mapping?

Adam
14-01-07, 07:07 PM
Stu's sig has the Group A build iirc.

Yep, the black gte is Bruce's old car.
The key is all in the mapping....
The inlet/tb etc can easily flow enough for 150bhp.

Dan
14-01-07, 07:18 PM
bruces car was fantastic and was a credit to himself, it showed how good the other tuning ways were, just as rewarding. Although i recall it never produced the torque to match, just revved to make the same top end power :confused: . I know very little about that route of tuning so cant comment on if another mapping etc could make it better.

Adam
14-01-07, 07:24 PM
From what i heard from bruce/aragorn the mapping on it wasn't that good, and needed a few tweaks even after a full mapping session.

Stuart
15-01-07, 08:11 AM
also worth adding, IMHO its not worth putting ITB's onto a small block 8v engine as it would jsut push the power band well upto the top end and the usual thing for people to do is to scrimp on the mapping side of things (after all spending money on that wont get you shiney things lol) so the driveability really really suffers.

Knowing how well bruce did with that engine and having looked at the engine etc in many guises i would definately opt for the tuned mpi setup.

get the head ported and maybe bigger valves (but thats not vital at times)
have the inlet fluid honed to remove casting rubbish (and makes it slightly larger bore etc)
a good bottom end build like dans/jims
maybe work the TB just to smooth things out
add DTA/MBE etc (what ever ecu the place you want to set it up has used/recomends)
sling in a 285-305degree cam. They both seem to yield the same power, just the 285 makes it at a shade over std revs, and the 300 makes it a little higher but lets the engine rev to 8K easily whereas the 285 makes it lose intrest at 7250ish.

your call i guess.

Nick
15-01-07, 11:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_2221.jpg

That's my 1600T40, it's Apparently 142bhp (rolling roaded) so believe what you will....

It's probably about as hardcore as Dan's but my head is still running Standard valves, and i've got a lower lift cam.

But with Carbs, good power is achievable for good money. This was proffesionally built by a motorsport company, it's stood me at around 2k. For rebuild, parts, Carbs, Exhuast e.t.c Not a bad price for a "competition" engine.

*edit* - and a good point about carbs, is that they seem to make bloody good torque. Well mine did !

kronk10
15-01-07, 05:18 PM
When i had my 1.4 done the guys doing it were surprised at the torque figure with the carbs on:thumb: Its not all about big bhp it does help but getting the power to the road is what you really want to acheive. Its what i NEED to acheive anyway