PDA

View Full Version : Damn Gearbox

Anonymous
03-07-01, 09:26 PM
i have a five speed box but i can't get fifth gear i have aligned the selector as per haynes and 1,2,3,4 are fine but no fifth i have replaced the gear lever (in the car) and the selector housing on the box itself but i think this bit(the selector on the box) came of a 4 speed box could this be the problem they look the same?? but i now give up an i am thinking about putting my old 4 speed back in.

any help received with thanks

one very pi55ed off nova owner X-(

Anonymous
03-07-01, 10:27 PM
i "think" there "might" be a small peice of plastic which inhibits the movement of the selector lever into the 5th position. I think it may be white and possibly at the base of the selector lever, but i might be totally wrong here!!!! Any1 else know if im right????

Anonymous
03-07-01, 10:42 PM
nah thats thing has got sumthing to do with reverse i think, but dont quote me on that.

Anonymous
04-07-01, 03:19 PM
im sellin a 5speed f10 box if u want that

Anonymous
05-07-01, 10:59 PM
if you put the 5 speed box in when it originaly had a 4 speed then you do need to break off the bit of plastic

Anonymous
06-07-01, 11:40 AM
if you mean the one in the gearlever base i done that already and it makes no difference gonna strip it down on saturday and check a few things i think might be faulty

Anonymous
06-07-01, 01:55 PM
On my 5 speed there is a 5 speed diagram (as ontop of the gearknob) shown on top of the selector unit. It is possible to easily select any gear by manually moving the linkage into the selector so u should find all 5 if the selector is right.

Anonymous
06-07-01, 08:44 PM
took it all to bits an found the selector is not operating the 5'th gear fork so i will go get another one on saturday and try that.
The box is out of an astra and i have been using a selector of a nova which does not have the reach for fifth so should be done tomorrow cheers cp ;)