PDA

View Full Version : not sure if this is mechanical but really need help!!

matt_sri
13-01-07, 05:43 PM
jus bought my nova 1.4 sri yesterday on a k plate, bin readin these forums alot and im getting alot of good information, and ive had the problem with the mk2 hazard switch already (on my 3rd now) anyway to the main point, its got the white dials in (lockwood im guessin) and the fuel guage just says full or empty always, now is there anyway to fix this or is it a job for an electrician or is it jus the way it goes? sorry for the massive topic any input would be apreciated thanks alot matt

dannyb
13-01-07, 06:57 PM
It could either be the sender in the fuel tank or a problem with the dials themselves. Do you know roughly how much fuel is in the tank at the moment mate and what is it reading? My fuel guage on my mk 1 has a habit of packing up when its either really cold or hot! Try another set of clocks first as this is a cheaper way of determining if the sender is damaged than just replacing the sender.

staggy_gsi
13-01-07, 07:31 PM
yeah as above, try a set of clocks first. mine did the same thing but ive been putting a digidash in it today and the gauge works fine on them! go for the clocks mate....

Nobby
13-01-07, 11:13 PM
dont buy any clocks!! yet . . .

by the petrol tank there is a plug that reads how much petrol there is in the car . . un plug it and stick a paper clip in and see what hapens to the needle . . . if it moves the sender is fine if it doesnt get new clocks lol!!

matt_sri
13-01-07, 11:55 PM
hey thanks alot for the help guys (im new too all this) so how do i find this plug thing? ive done 106 miles since i got the car, its had ?20 fuel put in by me, duno how much was in already, the gauge reads full or just under most of the time, is the plug and paper clip thing tried and tested? thanks again

matt_sri
14-01-07, 10:00 PM
well im havin problems finding this plug can any1 direct me or give any other ideas to check this out? thanks

Riggy
15-01-07, 02:47 PM
back of the petrol tank near the rear beam :thumb: