PDA

View Full Version : spraying

bigbened
13-01-07, 12:39 PM
right i want to spray my boot and stuff but how much thinners do you add to the paint. Ive been told its 50/50 but im unsure. Oh the paints mistral grey if that helps:thumb:

sim0ng
13-01-07, 03:48 PM
assuming youre using celulose paints as 2k is near illegal these days due to fact it contails cionide which is extremely poisonous it'll be a 50/50 mix of paint and thinners

bigbened
13-01-07, 05:12 PM
ok mate sound

welsh_roadrally
15-01-07, 01:49 AM
2K is available until December 2007,doubt you've got celulose as hardly anyone sells it now,waterbased is replacing 2k basecoat the laquer is still 2K
2k:
basecoat(colour): 3/1 paint/thinners
laquer: 4/2/1 paint/activator/thinners

:thumb:

sim0ng
15-01-07, 10:30 PM
it is 2007 welsh boyo!

most paints you can walk in and pick up off the shelf are celulose, even the stuff in the rattol cans from halfords is celulose!

bigbened
15-01-07, 10:36 PM
well just gave my boot a coat of filler primer to fill anybits up and it has sort of pealed some of the paint off? It was prepped correctly, has it just reacted

sim0ng
15-01-07, 10:40 PM
prept in what way? you'll need to rough up the entire thing... recomend a scotch pad with some matt paste and then rob over it with a lint free cloth and some white spirit to remove any dirt and grime before spraying.

its not the end of the world if it has reacted and started peeling, just rub it down with a reasonably course wet&dry with lots of warm soapy water and then wipe over with the white spirit and then try again.

with the filler primer its really recomended once youve sprayed with it and let it go off to very gentally rib over with some 1500 wet and dry to remove any imperfections before spraying.

welsh_roadrally
16-01-07, 02:47 AM
it is 2007 welsh boyo!

most paints you can walk in and pick up off the shelf are celulose, even the stuff in the rattol cans from halfords is celulose!

End of 2007 smart ****.Paint cars for a living do you???,dont boyo me i dont appreciate it:mad:

Chances are he's using 2k as thats what most places selling to the public are supplying,who are you buying off if thats supplying celulose???
No professional bodyshop has used celulose for the last 10 years!,waterbase is being brought in to replace 2k which means no more diy spraying at home!
2k is mixed as i said in my last post

welsh_roadrally
16-01-07, 03:01 AM
prept in what way? you'll need to rough up the entire thing... recomend a scotch pad with some matt paste and then rob over it with a lint free cloth and some white spirit to remove any dirt and grime before spraying.

its not the end of the world if it has reacted and started peeling, just rub it down with a reasonably course wet&dry with lots of warm soapy water and then wipe over with the white spirit and then try again.

with the filler primer its really recomended once youve sprayed with it and let it go off to very gentally rib over with some 1500 wet and dry to remove any imperfections before spraying.

1500 grit?(you really dont know much about bodywork do you matey!)use some 800 grit on a block using soapy water to flat the primmer,key the other areas with a grey scotch pad
Has the panel been sprayed before in the not to distant past if its reacting?,usualy find if you have rubbed through laquer in to basecoat it will"ring" around the edges os the laquer,if this is whats happend leave it a few days to harden then flat the primmer and mist some on the area where you've had it react before slowly building it up then flat that

sim0ng
16-01-07, 03:11 AM
1500 works a treat for me! different people do things different ways and the 1500 will give a good enough key for the paint to bite into without leaving nasty horrible scratch marks showing through the paint.

youre right, i don't know much about bodywork, everything i know I've taught myself through trial and error but its still a damn sight more then a hell of a lot of other people know! I'm still learning myself so if you wouldn't be such a gimp and actiually advise rather then picking it may be a little easier to learn new things.

welsh_roadrally
16-01-07, 03:16 AM
gimp?!?!,i'm giving you and others advise up to you if you listen,i've been in the bodywork trade for ten years thats why i posted a reply in the first place

sim0ng
16-01-07, 03:29 AM
fine! but if you could have just said that you would use 800 over 1500 rather then the whole "you don't know bodywork" remark then I won't go calling you a gimp. simple as!

welsh_roadrally
16-01-07, 03:34 AM
fine! but if you could have just said that you would use 800 over 1500 rather then the whole "you don't know bodywork" remark then I won't go calling you a gimp. simple as!

Point taken,problem resolved:thumb:

Stuart
16-01-07, 09:04 AM
Girls behave or the pair of you get sin binned.

sim0ng
16-01-07, 09:34 AM
its okay now Stu

bigbened
16-01-07, 01:53 PM
lol i flatted it with 1200 before i sprayed it. but before that i gave it a light coat of grey which didnt react oh well