PDA

View Full Version : what thickness MDF

bigbened
12-01-07, 07:16 PM
right im going to have a go at making me some door cards, rear panely bits and boot panely bit (lol dont know what there called) im thinking use mdf but how thick and should i use it

any pics of thease would be great

graham kirkbride
12-01-07, 07:59 PM
right im going to have a go at making me some door cards, rear panely bits and boot panely bit (lol dont know what there called) im thinking use mdf but how thick and should i use it

any pics of thease would be great

you can use 4mm for the back ones mate, but as for the doors depending what your covering them with id use hard board othgerwise the door dont shut rite (from past experience)

chimp007_uk
12-01-07, 08:41 PM
get some hard board as stated for the door cards and black felt or bass box carpet to cover everything.

as for the parcel shelf and boot floor, make a template out of card. the thicker the mdf the better the sound, but all depends on what your fitting in them. and coat the mdf in pva glue or watered down pva glue to stop the mdf rotting.

you could use marine ply also.

sim0ng
12-01-07, 09:38 PM
you can get weather treated MDF these days too! is green and I wouldn't put audio carpet on door cards! would look so ****! go to a sewing shop and buy about 4 square metres of 2-3mm foam padding and then some other material such as leatherette and get a can of spray on impact adhesive, spray the back of the leather and the foam, stick them together, then spray the hard board and the other side of the foam and stick it them together and then you'll have nicely padded door cards

bump
12-01-07, 11:36 PM
Go for Ply. You can also get marine grade for a little extra money.
It will flex less, last longer and can be much easier to shape if you need curves.

Lucky Luke is your expert on this one.

bigbened
13-01-07, 12:06 AM
ok lads ill have a little trip to bnq tomorrow

is it a good idea to put say some 5+1/2s in the boot part, im thinking of having 4 six and ahalves in the back and front and some in the boot

welsh_roadrally
22-01-07, 06:37 AM
MDF is pants,anything thinner than 8mm is about as durable as soap!,for my job i laminate the stuff with vinyl/paper and in our industry we're moving onto Aluminium and plastics because MDF doesn't last,if you do use it dont breathe in the dust when you cut it because the stuff is bonded with formaldehyde and is carcinogenic:(

Lucky Luke!
22-01-07, 07:57 PM
Lucky Luke is your expert on this one.

Cheers mate! lol

Right, you dont say what it is your trying to acheive, rear panelly bits are a bad idea in my opinion however that is from a SQ point of view, if its looks your after then go ahead! I would personally use MDF only as a base and then experiment with fiberglass. You can acheive some really cool designs and that using it as well, especially on the door cars to help get the sound positioning right.

Post an idea of what ya wanna acheive and i'll advise you best after that.

bigbened
22-01-07, 10:41 PM
well i am after just a loud but system but well balanced, (also not too expensive) ive decided to go with two 15" in phase 1800w subs, single amp, alpine head unit, 4x 6 1/2 components. 2 in front and 2 in rear. and maybe a couple of 5"ers in the boot pannel so when its open the sound will travel. what do you think

oh and i was thinking of in phase or alpine comps

Lucky Luke!
23-01-07, 07:17 PM
Well your sort of on the right idea!

Defo alpine head unit and defo use alpine comps however i wouldnt have any in the rears, rear fill is only needed when there is no sub. The boot ones are a good idea but only if they are switchable, (i,e only work then the boot is open)

Personally i think youd be better spending your hard earned cash on a set of alpine comps and the h/unit (as you already stated) but no rear speakers and just the one sub. 2 15's in a car the size of a nova will be too overpowering, you will be running them on half power anyway because it will be so loud!

Also i would suggest 2 amps 1 mono amp for the sub and a good full range for the fronts, the boot ones i would run into a switch somewhere and just run them off the head unit. Turn them off when the boot is closed.

Any questions just ask!

bigbened
23-01-07, 10:03 PM
yer well i have a alpine head unit atm and just bought one sub (now i am deaf and have a head ache) im unsure weather to buy another lol. I was going to switch the back speakers with a coupple of push to break switches but i dont know where the hell to mount them. oh and how the hell do you stop novas from rattlinglol

Lucky Luke!
24-01-07, 08:05 PM
how the hell do you stop novas from rattlinglol

Unless you wanna spend thousands on dynamat then you dont! lol

Its best to stick with one sub really, all that you need, if your h/unit has sub control (being alpine it should do) then you can have a sub that is quiet or low when you want it to be but can crank the bass up when ya need it!