PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs??

sim0ng
12-01-07, 04:14 PM
have a 1500 TD and takes a while to start in the cold but once its been started and engines warmed up it starts in an instant so assume this is down to the glow plugs and not the battery as it looks pretty new!

would there be any way of putting in a little button to press and hold for a couple seconds to warm up the plugs before starting the engine so you don't have to sit around for a while trying to start it turning all the nabours heads and having them all laughing away thinking the cars not going to start or would it just be easier to get new plugs for it and if so which do people recomend?

Adam
12-01-07, 04:45 PM
When you turn the ignition on the Glow plug light should light up on the dashboard, i think they have a light anyway, but i've never owned a TD.

When that light is on the glow plugs are being heated.

Its probably just old glow plugs causing the problem, fit some new ones, halfords etc sell them.

sim0ng
12-01-07, 05:15 PM
cool, cheers, I'll keep my eyes peeld for the glowplug light and hold it on that for a while... i never really payed all that much attension to the light which show up when turning the ignition.

chris gsi
12-01-07, 09:01 PM
sounds like the plugs are coved in soot my cav td can be a pain to start on a cold morning just turn the key let the light go out and turn the key back and then do it again as they only heat up for aprox 5sec's then turn off

bump
12-01-07, 11:33 PM
Or the sheath is corroded, Just change them for some new ones and you'll be away.

sim0ng
12-01-07, 11:43 PM
okey cokey... they just as easy to replace as spark plugs? never owned a diesel before... I had a look at them this morning and was kinda confused with the bit of metal which goes over the top of them all and thought I had better not touch incase I brake something! lol

mikey14sr
12-01-07, 11:52 PM
that bit of metal across the top of them is what supplies them with power.

sim0ng
12-01-07, 11:54 PM
thought as much! good thing i didn't poke it then?

diablo007
13-01-07, 02:43 PM
i dont think the light comes on on the td, theres a ceramic tip on the end of the plug that gives it instant heat. the plugs are just ****ed so go for a set of NGK.

craig green
13-01-07, 06:19 PM
You can turn on the ign & wait for the light to go off (which you should do) then give it another go, then start it up after a double blast from the glow plugs.
Mine only really needs that after its been sat a couple days, fires up instantly like that though.

sim0ng
14-01-07, 03:29 AM
i seen no spark plug light when starting it up... just handbrake light... somehting else which i don't remember and the em light I think...

Think I'll ether try cleaning the plugs or as said, just replace 'em... be the best idea I think.