PDA

View Full Version : Poor hot starting problem

beavy69
12-01-07, 12:21 PM
Need to pump the throttle loads when starting shortly after stopping warm engine: (cold starting is OK)

1.3 32/34carb (AST2 cam and ported head recently fitted)

Surely it can't be the idle mix screw as that's out almost 2 and a half turns?

The only other thing I can think of is adjusting my fuel reg (its at 3.5bar at the mo) now I have more fuel being used due to the head and cam?

Any ideas?

Paul
12-01-07, 02:02 PM
3.5 bar is a bit high i would have thought, may be wrong though.

Adam
12-01-07, 02:45 PM
Beavy-I hope you mean PSI and not Bar!! Lol

tom reid
12-01-07, 06:34 PM
Assuming that fuel pressure is 3.5psi, I would think you need to look at your jets/timming.

Has the car been on a rolling road?

beavy69
13-01-07, 05:50 PM
woops! yeah I ment psi

jets fine

never rolling roaded but was fine before the cam n head change

tom reid
13-01-07, 09:40 PM
woops! yeah I ment psi

jets fine

never rolling roaded but was fine before the cam n head change

Sorry to repeat myself, sounds like jets/timming!!!:wall:
You have changed the charicteristics of your engine, it now flow more air into the cyl/opens the valves more and possibly for longer.
You can't expect more air in on the same mix of fuel, get your car to a RR, it will be worth it for the drive home.:thumb:

beavy69
14-01-07, 11:36 PM
Thing is timing is fine and jets are those reccomended for 1.3 and my m8 with a 1.6 golf has the same set with not probs.

I will def get it RR eventually - when I have the cash. Thing is how do I determine which jet to use if they need enlarging?

Stuart
15-01-07, 08:20 AM
you cannot use "comparative parts" for tuning engines lol.

jsut for hto start you should be able to get away with a krypton tune up which should only set you back ?30 rather than a full on RR sesh, so they can sort your start up etc..... you just need to be wary of top end leanness