PDA

View Full Version : Not really mechanical but still need help...

sumner2k3
11-01-07, 11:12 PM
i have a mk1 nova and i want to put a mk2 dash in it..

does any 1 know if this is hard work or if it goes in easy or if its fidly or what?

craig green
12-01-07, 09:46 AM
You need all the parts from a mk2 dashboard incl the ends of all the switch wiring so you can convert the mk1 wiring to plug into the mk2 switches. Thats the jist of it.

The dash screws in easily, you also need the clocks.

draper
12-01-07, 09:47 AM
iirc you need all the heating ducts, also some of the plug have to be changed as the switches are different, razorjack has done/is doing a dsah swap at the minute - send him a pm

Jack
12-01-07, 10:10 AM
I put a GSi dash in my old saloon, and am in process of putting one in my current saloon.

You will need:

> Dash (obviously), complete with the three top sections, glovebox, vents, switches (preferably with short length of wire), etc.
> The four sections of heater ducting (two for each of the side vents, one to the windscreen vent, and one to the centre cold air vents)
> Mk2 heater control rods - Mk1 items won't fit to the Mk2 dash!
> Centre console (recommended!)
> Mk2 steering column shrouds - again Mk1 items won't fit.

There's two screws on each side of the Mk2 dash, you'll see where they go. Also two bolts come out of the dash up just under the windscreen (one behind where the dials sit, the other behind the glovebox), again you should see where they bolt to. To make it sit straight, you'll need to push the bottom of the dash back quite far. You may find you don't have a mount point down there - but if you use the centre console and screw that in place it should hold the bottom of the dash in the correct location.

If you have a poverty spec Mk1 and want the side vents on the Mk2 dash to work, you'll need to either cut the blanking plates out the side of the heater, or swap for a Mk2 item.

Wiring should be all the same (things like the headlight, the Mk1 plug will connect and work straight onto the Mk2 switch) except for the central heated rear window/blower control, and I think some people have said the hazard switch needs rewiring too. Haven't done the wiring on my current one yet and can't remember how I did my old one off the top of my head! Just use a Haynes Manual and match the wire colours.

Another tip, before you fit the dash, remove the Mk2 headlight switch from its housing. Its much much much easier to unclip from behind and push out than it is to struggle around from the front. There's a screw in under where it sits that holds that section of the cowling to the dash, so you may need to access it.

As for dials, the Mk1 dials will fit, you just need to bend the top mount on the dash down slightly and maybe stick a screw in there to wedge the dials in place.

draper
12-01-07, 10:12 AM
good guide RJ :thumb:

Jack
12-01-07, 10:15 AM
I might knock up a step by step jobbie once I've gotten the GSi in properly.

Its not too hard really, and ripping the Mk1 dash out is highly satisfying LOL

draper
12-01-07, 10:17 AM
ive gotta swap my grey mk2 for a gsi, also think the heater ducts arent lined up properly as no air comes out the side vents or under the window vent ??

craig green
12-01-07, 10:24 AM
Mk2 Dash - you know it makes sense!

sumner2k3
12-01-07, 12:27 PM
ok thanks guys ill get pics up and let you know how im doing. :P

Jack
12-01-07, 02:25 PM
ive gotta swap my grey mk2 for a gsi, also think the heater ducts arent lined up properly as no air comes out the side vents or under the window vent ??
Is the Mk2 dash std fit? If so, check the heater is redirecting air when you move the controls. If its not std fit, also check the ducting is all there and in the right place.

draper
12-01-07, 08:45 PM
Is the Mk2 dash std fit? If so, check the heater is redirecting air when you move the controls. If its not std fit, also check the ducting is all there and in the right place.

im not 100% its standard fit tbh, the headlights arent mounted using the original mounting points theyve got self-tappers holding them in lol