PDA

View Full Version : welding

richi
10-01-07, 10:50 PM
how hard is it to delock your doors?

how do you go about welding the plates to the inside of the door? what do you use and how hard is it? once the plates are welded is it filler, sanding then spray
thanks for the help

R1CH
10-01-07, 11:02 PM
how hard is it to delock your doors?

Can you weld ? work with fillers ? Paint ?
If its something you haven't done before then you'd be better off taking it to a body shop !!
Not trying to come across un-helpfull, but by the sounds of it theres a good chance you might f*ck it up !!

Rich

bigbened
11-01-07, 12:18 AM
cant really **** it up if youve got a mig welder as your only tacking it. Give it a go, if its **** then get someone else to do it
may save you some money:D

sim0ng
11-01-07, 01:01 AM
If its something you haven't done before then you'd be better off taking it to a body shop !!

how are you supposed to learn and gain experiance if youre just going to take it to a body shop... you have to try everything once... borrow a mig welder, get a spare door and give it a go... if you mess up its not the end of the world! just crack the welding or cop it out and have another go, if you still really cannot do it then go and find somebody who can!

Timmy
11-01-07, 08:23 PM
i had metel disc made up for mine which have a nut whick clamps the door skin painted they look good and mean door lock can be fitterd after will made and sell you some if intrested

Timmy
11-01-07, 08:24 PM
cheaper than a door repray as well

draper
11-01-07, 08:38 PM
id say get some old metal or doors etc and have a go - i bought a welder a few months ago but still havent had a go yet thanks to the brilliant weather were having

and im not brave enough to do it in the house lol

Jack
11-01-07, 08:51 PM
i had metel disc made up for mine which have a nut whick clamps the door skin painted they look good and mean door lock can be fitterd after will made and sell you some if intrested
Thats what I had on my hatch, smoothed over though.

Philsutton
11-01-07, 08:55 PM
make sure yuo have some form of remote central locking before you do this, other wise it could be intersting.

Timmy
11-01-07, 09:10 PM
clime in though boot like a pimp my ride scine

Jack
11-01-07, 09:11 PM
Can't do that in a Saloon, hence why I'm leaving the drivers door with a lock on it lol

Timmy
11-01-07, 09:14 PM
LOL you knowi never looking at it like that but if you looking to make the car safer sooner putting in nut and plate work really well will be first job on new car. but if you have time and opiinnen to welda and spray a plate do that it looks better

richi
13-01-07, 02:42 PM
well i have a done up nova at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260074924628&rd=1&rd=1

thought id give it a plug

but i have a garage where i am moving to so want to have a go at doing one up from stock, just seeing if most people gained there experience like this, i no loads of people who can help me, taking it to a bodyshop is just pointless thats what happend with the last one but you dont feel like you have accomplished anything. thanks for the help though

Iain
13-01-07, 02:54 PM
Would proper metal adhesive be as strong as welding in a plate? Something like the products here (http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xDN-tools_and_hardware_2--hardware_and_building_supply_type-315511-evo_stik)? I'm tempted try it with some of that and then have a bodyshop smooth it over.

chimp007_uk
13-01-07, 03:02 PM
timmy, have you got any pics of your locks with your plates in? i'm tempted...