PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 cam in 1.2 - Cam Timing

dstevenson
10-01-07, 08:51 PM
If I fit a 14NV cam in a 12ST head do I use the standard crank TDC and cam timing marks or do I need to do anything else ??

I know that for aftermarket cams they need "timed" compared to TDC and a vernier pulley will allow you to get it spot on (especially if on rolling road) but does this apply to standard GM cams swopped between engine types as I plan to do ??

stafford
10-01-07, 08:55 PM
striaght swap, no problem

dstevenson
10-01-07, 08:58 PM
striaght swap, no problem

Thanks for that - What I thought but better safe than sorry lol

Can a vernier on a standard cam be used give you an improvement i.e. a better top end as this is for a rally nova so around town idling is not a issue for us ??

Not allowed aftermarket cams. :mad:

Adam
10-01-07, 08:58 PM
Is it a 1200 carb engine?

If so your dizzy wont fit the end of the 14NV cam.

dstevenson
10-01-07, 09:03 PM
Is it a 1200 carb engine?

If so your dizzy wont fit the end of the 14NV cam.

I have a NZ dizzy (pin drive) so hopefully that will be OK. If not I will stick on the older vac adavance ST dizzy, coil, etc. don't ask !! the car is a real mixture - started with NZ engine, now runs ST engine with NZ ign, dizzy, etc. but goes like stink for a 1.2 !!

BTW is that a difficult job changing to the carb ign, dizzy, etc. ?? what about wiring, rev counter, etc.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2116/scan0004me5.jpg

Picture does not do the car justice but don't want to slow the place down with a high res image. That's a 12 year old driving by the way !!!!

LUV2XLR8
10-01-07, 10:56 PM
what rallying are you doing?

Chunky Lover
11-01-07, 04:28 PM
its rallysport by the looks up at aghadowey in northern ireland they have a champ for yound drivers in 1.2 novas. and im failry sure the rev counter is wired to the coil.dont take my word on it tho.

dstevenson
11-01-07, 09:57 PM
its rallysport by the looks up at aghadowey in northern ireland they have a champ for yound drivers in 1.2 novas. and im failry sure the rev counter is wired to the coil.dont take my word on it tho.

Yea, you're spot on it's the Rallysport Association, check it out on

www.therallysportassociation (http://www.therallysportassociation).com

We run at a tarmac (airfield) venue at Aghadowey in Co. Antrim and gravel venue at Craigavon, Co. Armagh.

Junior nova class is 12 to 16 yrs old. Based on 1200 Novas with cages, uprated suspension, etc. but limited by class rules to engine mods, brakes, etc. Extremely good fun and great introduction to stage rallying for juniors.

Thanks for the wiring feedback, wiring is not my strong point - which is why I stuck to the standard injection dizzy, ECU, etc. even when we changed to the older carb ST engine. Don't really know wether it's cost us any performance as we're only getting up to speed anyway. He's about the youngest in the class and had very little driving experience at all whilst others seem to have had field cars, farm lanes, tractors, etc. since they were in nappies lol

bump
11-01-07, 10:07 PM
Tacho is wired from the coil so changing dizzy or cam makes no difference to that side of things.

Chunky Lover
11-01-07, 10:12 PM
are the gearboxes sealed? if your under 17 and u have a 1400(modified) are u alloweed compete? or do u need a 1200?

dstevenson
11-01-07, 10:13 PM
Tacho is wired from the coil so changing dizzy or cam makes no difference to that side of things.

But if you're ditching the electronic based NZ injection system does that not mean ditching the coil as well as the dizzy and ECU in favour of the older vac advance dizzy and the coil, etc. that went with it - all I know is there are a lot of extra plugs, wires, etc. on the NZ system compared to the older carb ST system. Might be easier to fit complete engine loom from an older car I guess. That way it should work without too much head scratching, soldering, cursing, blowing fuses, etc. lol

Adam
12-01-07, 01:09 AM
You will be loosing performance if you still use the c12nz coil and dizzy as it has no mechanical timing advance(as std its controlled by the ecu)

You need a 12st dizzy/coil with mechanical weights so you get the timing advancing with engine revs.

Have you just left the NZ wiring still in the engine bay? The injector plug etc?
But using a carb inlet, 1,2 carb etc.

It should be quite straight forward to fit the ST dizzy, it bolts straight in place of the other one, then the coil has about 3 wires to wire up, earth, 12v ign live, and tacho signal if i remember rightly.
Those wires can be found plugged into the original injection coil/dizzy setup.

dstevenson
13-01-07, 08:28 PM
are the gearboxes sealed? if your under 17 and u have a 1400(modified) are u alloweed compete? or do u need a 1200?

Hi, You need to contact Bronagh or Alan at the Rallysport Association (you'll get their contact details on the website). As far as I know you must run some time in a 1200 before they will allow a junior to move up class/cc. Maybe if you can prove experience to them there might be no problem. I think there are several juniors (less than 17) out in 1400, 1600, etc. We have only started this year so don't know the full set-up yet. It is great craic and value for money could not be beat !!