PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak

chimp007_uk
09-01-07, 09:31 PM
after buying the new gte last week, and rushing to get everything sorted so i could drive back to swansea, i overlooked a coolant leak :(
when the engine is idling, there is a slow drip down the back of the engine that drops onto the manifold.
looks as if its from a coolant hose off the pump??? i can feel that the coupling is wet, but can't get in there easily to asses it properly. i cant even take of the jubilee clip and try and adjust it...
i know it had a new water pump fitted recently, but can't see that thats leaking.

any ideas?

thanks
chris

chimp007_uk
09-01-07, 10:37 PM
anyone? has anyone got one of the spare pipes? will post a pic tomorrow.

Adam
10-01-07, 01:06 AM
Get the front up on axle stands, easier to get to the rear coolant pipe then.
Might just need the clip tightening.

If it was the waterpump the timing belt,crank pulley, side of the sump etc would be wet.

chimp007_uk
10-01-07, 03:22 PM
i've looked at it, but i think your right, it's a case of getting at it from under the car... i don't have any axle stands or even a jack at uni :( and they wont even let us take our cars into the worshop and put it on the lift... GAY

got a pic of the pipe, it's the one that goes from the pump to the platic tube that runs along the back of the engine.i can't feel that it's split, it leaks a small amount but eventually it will just let go. the jubilee clip is facing upwards so looks interesting...

chimp007_uk
10-01-07, 03:43 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/DSC06471.jpg

chimp007_uk
10-01-07, 09:17 PM
anyone got any ideas of tightening it? been at it tonight, but a 6mm socket is too small and 7mm is too big and it wont budge with a screw driver... i don't think it's going to be any easier to get to from under the car as the tightening part of the clip is on the top :(

macc nova
10-01-07, 10:32 PM
it looks abit rusted have you tried scraping at it so the 6mm fits? I can reach that clip from the top of the engine with a extended socket set.

chimp007_uk
10-01-07, 10:47 PM
i'll give that a go on friday, out all day tomorrow. and knowing my luck it will poor it down... the problem is that the head is facing slightly into the block, so you can't get a a straight long screwdriver or ratchet on it... i was trying with a small tatchet right down the back, but couldn;t get it to fit.

macc nova
10-01-07, 10:54 PM
mines facing staight upwards! be a hero and jack the car up put bricks behind the wheels and go from underneath probs have more movement from there anyway.

chimp007_uk
10-01-07, 10:58 PM
i was thinking that but i'm at uni in swansea, and don't have a jack etc... and i'm not allowed to use the uni workshop where they have a lift... its stupid. i'll try and give it a bash on friday, and perhaps ask LUV2XLR8 as he's in swansea if i can pop up his. don't want to be rude and impose...

Adam
11-01-07, 12:40 AM
The scissor jack in your boot...

craig green
11-01-07, 01:23 PM
That hose is very expensive from Vauxhall. Go easy on it.

If & when you get the jubilee clip off, either replace it or grease the threads of it (& a new one). That way you will get more turns out of the screw & it will go tighter before you feel it cant be tightened any more.

new clip is best as you dont want to strip the screw threads on a jubilee clip when all the shops etc are shut & 5 miles away. LOL

chimp007_uk
11-01-07, 10:20 PM
i wouldn't trust lying under my car with just that jack holding it up... :eek:

i'll replace the clip, if i can get it off :roll: i'll soak it again in wd40 tomorrow and try again.